Wavewalk vs Kiwi Angler

castawaydan

Wavewalk vs Kiwi Angler

Post by castawaydan »

So my brother is about to buy a new kayak and he is currently looking at the wavewalk and the kiwi angler because he says that he is looking to be comfortable while fishing. Which one is better? or is there another kayak that is comfortable as far as stand up, move around and space?
Attachments
Kiwi Angler
Kiwi Angler
Wavewalk
Wavewalk
wavewalker.jpg (14.17 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Re: Wavewalk vs Kiwi Angler

Post by pdt818 »

Personally not a fan of the wave walk. Been in one and truly hated it. That kiwi is an interesting design. Like a cross between a pond crawler and a kayak :!:
OneFishTwoFish

Post by OneFishTwoFish »

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=185314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See this thread for our feelings about wadewalk

Both kind of crummy to me
castawaydan

Post by castawaydan »

OneFishTwoFish wrote:http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=185314

haha, so alot of people dislike this lol.

how about other kayaks that offer stability and that are comfortable to be in?
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

daniel_banana wrote:
OneFishTwoFish wrote:http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=185314

haha, so alot of people dislike this lol.

how about other kayaks that offer stability and that are comfortable to be in?
Pretty much depends on the person. Malibu and Wilderness Systems get my vote. But every big name kayak manufacturer will have people who do and don't like them. I'm a bigger paddler, so that cuts out several boats, which honestly has made decisions easier. Everybody will tell you to demo as many as you can. I've never demo'd any that I've bought, but if the opportunity arises I would suggest it.
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Throttlehead250 »

the cudas are big and comfy, the Hobie pro anglers are big and comfy, the OK tridents are big and comfy.

hes got lots of traditional kayak options, and plenty of upgraded seats to throw at them if needed. tell him to head to a kayak shop and take a look at them in person.

personally i dont like either of those wavewalk thingys
Jason21

Post by Jason21 »

Throttlehead250 wrote:the cudas are big and comfy, the Hobie pro anglers are big and comfy, the OK tridents are big and comfy.

hes got lots of traditional kayak options, and plenty of upgraded seats to throw at them if needed. tell him to head to a kayak shop and take a look at them in person.

^^^ ThisX2
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

Jackson Cuda, Native Slayer, Native Ultimate, Diablo Adios, OldTown Predator. Hobie Pro Angler. There are more of course but all of the above mentioned kayaks have the Larry Chair, hi low seat, etc. which are all very comfortable seats and give you the option of standing. I've never been on either of the kayaks you mentioned above and have never seen one on the water. Usually not a good sign if nobody is buying them.

Just my .02 cents of course.
rickh

Post by rickh »

Last year I bought a Jackson Cuda. As far as comfort sitting for a long time I don't think you can beat the seat. Love the high/low position. It's real easy to stand in (I don't stand much) ... it only took one trip to get use to it. This is just one mans opinion ... one that does not get a sore butt anymore. :D
vanjr
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by vanjr »

Throttlehead250 wrote:the cudas are big and comfy, the Hobie pro anglers are big and comfy, the OK tridents are big and comfy.

agree w above. also native watercraft slayer comfy and standable. Nucanoe, KC kayaks. Lots of options. Plus you never really know how comfortable it is for you until you spend a day fishing in one (and its your comfort that matters, not mine)
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

I don't think either is "comfy" by looking at the design, but that is a bias opinion of someone that enjoys a PA14 and a RIDE115 with the high seat.

What I see in the yellow one is that it does not have a back rest and the green one you will still be sitting in an L position with no room for stuff around the cockpit. They also look bulky and slow. Maybe with a trolling motor they could be more appealing.

It is just not my cup of tea. :( :monkey:
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Coachsmills wrote:Jackson Cuda, Native Slayer, Native Ultimate, Diablo Adios, OldTown Predator. Hobie Pro Angler. There are more of course but all of the above mentioned kayaks have the Larry Chair, hi low seat, etc. which are all very comfortable seats and give you the option of standing. I've never been on either of the kayaks you mentioned above and have never seen one on the water. Usually not a good sign if nobody is buying them.

Just my .02 cents of course.
I did see the yellow one around Kemah one time and it did not look functional nor fast to capture my attention. It was more like a curiosity on the water as it was the first time I saw this yak.

I could list a ton of things that would keep me from considering such a boat for the type of fishing and areas I frequent without mentioning transport or storage at home.

Just imagine visiting the big fish tank on that thing while doing some BTB! How the H...do you get back on? How do you turn it over?
FlatLuck

Post by FlatLuck »

I have an Ultimate 14.5 tandem set up for solo paddler. It's very stable and I have been spoiled by the seat. Being a canoe/kayak hybrid, they can store everything you can think of and you can access it easily. (However it is not a BTB boat but judging by the two mentioned above, that doesnt seem to be a concern.)

Main complaints (and they're pretty minor)...
-Given the shape of the hull, when standing, there is no flat surface so the outside of your feet have alot more pressure on them (I prefer to stand and fish so at the end of the day that wears on me.
-At the end of the day there is water in the boat but nothing a sponge or cup can't easily remove.
-Not the fastest boat

Positives
+competely adjustable and tons of options for rigging.
+Seats are GREAT
+Very Stable
+Lots of room

I am looking to upgrade to another boat here in the next year and since I’ve gotten so spoiled by the seat, I’ve pretty much narrowed my next boat down to a Jackson Cuda14. (Hopefully going to demo one week after next.)

With all that said, I really love the versatility of the Ultimate and will definitely keep it as a buddy boat and rig for when I need a little more space.

Hope that helps
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Both extremely stable.
One is very slow, the other is slower. In my opinion they need a motor.
castawaydan

Post by castawaydan »

Thank you guys for all your comments. If he is gonna spend some money on a kayak, it should be a good one and nothing he will regret. So begin at the store to look at them in person
Fish_On!

Post by Fish_On! »

That would be me (The brother) buying the yak. I think I may just go for a Hobie Pro Angler once I can afford it (since I wasn't expecting to spend that much), However it seems to have some great reviews. If anyone has a better recommendation please by all means feel free to give me some input on this.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

Fish_On! wrote:That would be me (The brother) buying the yak. I think I may just go for a Hobie Pro Angler once I can afford it (since I wasn't expecting to spend that much), However it seems to have some great reviews. If anyone has a better recommendation please by all means feel free to give me some input on this.
What type of fishing are you wanting to do? The Pro Angler is an awesome kayak unless you have to paddle it. As long as you plan on fishing deeper water (more than 2 feet deep) the majority of the time you've made a pretty good choice.
Fish_On!

Post by Fish_On! »

Coachsmills wrote:
Fish_On! wrote:That would be me (The brother) buying the yak. I think I may just go for a Hobie Pro Angler once I can afford it (since I wasn't expecting to spend that much), However it seems to have some great reviews. If anyone has a better recommendation please by all means feel free to give me some input on this.
What type of fishing are you wanting to do? The Pro Angler is an awesome kayak unless you have to paddle it. As long as you plan on fishing deeper water (more than 2 feet deep) the majority of the time you've made a pretty good choice.

I am planning on doing some fishing in Galveston or TCD, also on some lakes and creeks in my area (The Woodlands/Spring). I agree about the paddle but Im guessing anyone with a Pro Angler would use a trolling motor as a preference, which I think it's the best way to go.
Mellow-Yellow

Post by Mellow-Yellow »

Or they just use the mirage drive.
Fish_On!

Post by Fish_On! »

Mellow-Yellow wrote:Or they just use the mirage drive.
Yes I agree, Im going to start with the mirage drive and upgrade to the trolling motor at one point.