Airyak!!!

mad3cker

Airyak!!!

Post by mad3cker »

howdy there fellow yakers i got a little project goin in the works im building a fan to put on my kayak so my question is, wood or plastic propeller and why?

opinions are much appreciated :D
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Airyak!!!

Post by cudagreg »

just dont bring all that noise round here :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Are you talking about a propulsion fan or a keep you cool fan? A propulsion fan will require registration and numbers.
BGT

Post by BGT »

mad3cker wrote:howdy there fellow yakers i got a little project goin in the works im building a fan to put on my kayak so my question is, wood or plastic propeller and why?

opinions are much appreciated :D
Registration requirements aside, graphite composite and the hub is CNC machined from aerospace grade aluminum alloy would be a premium choice & cost. Wood is likely your best option. Plenty of info online, this is a pretty decent site as well.

http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... 85&t=41055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mad3cker

Post by mad3cker »

propulsion fan lol and i'll most likely put a noise reduction do-hicky on it lmao, i enjoy the quite to i'll probably only use it during the day i have 3 yaks so im doin a lil somthing on each of them, and thanks for your input and the link BGT. I'll be posting pics when i start on it :dance:
BGT

Post by BGT »

mad3cker wrote:propulsion fan lol and i'll most likely put a noise reduction do-hicky on it lmao, i enjoy the quite to i'll probably only use it during the day i have 3 yaks so im doin a lil somthing on each of them, and thanks for your input and the link BGT. I'll be posting pics when i start on it :dance:
Look forward to your build, love seeing folks innovative ideas with this sport. Think I'm just tired, first saw this thread I was thinking hovercraft :lol: .

What are you using for an engine?
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

A little engineering talk here. The thrust line of the power can get high enough very easily to just roll the yak. In fishing you try to keep the rod close to the bow to prevent a side pull from causing you to turtle. The fan thrust can do the same thing, especially in a turn. Our SOT yaks are not designed to handle force thrust more than a few inches above the water line or from the sides. You might end up needing outriggers for the boat like the Adventure Island sailing rigs use. Good luck on your idea. It will be fun to follow, but I do not want to be the test pilot.
WesC

Post by WesC »

Not sure how large a Prop you are thinking of using, but have you considered using Brushless Electric motors? The very same ones you would use in RC Planes? you could mount 2 on the rear of your Yak, counter rotating and have some Lipo cells in a waterproof box with controller. you honestly could be up and running for less than $300. I would recommend outrunner motors vs inrunner motors. they are lighter and have more torque. just my .02. Looking fwd to the build
mad3cker

Post by mad3cker »

I plan on using a 25cc weedeater motor should be pushin about 8500rpm and about theturtling issue ive got that covered lol i've already started on an outriggers system with some 6in pvc this yaks is gunna be beast haha :D
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Does anyone have pict for this thread? Sounds like a great idea but a pict is worth 1,000 words... Thanks.
mad3cker

Post by mad3cker »

i will post pics as soon as i get my propeller i be posting a sketch soon though :)
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Im going to make a Yak Drone..soon
kyleisMRsmiley

Post by kyleisMRsmiley »

Annnnnnnnnd subbed to this topic :) looking forward to the results.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

would a small fan motor be too big to put on a yak? They use them on flounder boats all the time.
mad3cker

Post by mad3cker »

I have a good size ocean yak so I don't think a small fan would be a problem just depends on the weight limit of your yak plus im building outrigers for it also so that helps to :dance:
mad3cker

Post by mad3cker »

And is anyone plannin on going to the off road extravaganza at crystal beach this sat?
mad3cker

Post by mad3cker »

anything is possible with a lil redneck ingenuity lmao!
AlanC
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AlanC »

If you mount the motor and prop on the front of the yak pointing at you then maybe you can get away with no registration. You could then pass it off as a air-cooler for the paddler when you are at top speed! :mrgreen: You can purchase large scale aircraft props from the hobby shop in two, three or four blade made from plastic or nylon and they would work great. Most that size fit on a 1/4" shaft and they do have pusher props available as well. Can't wait to see the pictures! :clap: :clap: :clap:
mad3cker

Post by mad3cker »

hahaha that is freakin awesome man love the idea but i dont mind gettin it registered lol im tryin to get workin on it soon just on a slight budget ya know all i really need is the prop so maybe next week i'll go pick one up from the hobby store
im about to do a sketch in a few i'll post asap :dance:
BGT

Post by BGT »

AlanC wrote:If you mount the motor and prop on the front of the yak pointing at you then maybe you can get away with no registration. You could then pass it off as a air-cooler for the paddler when you are at top speed! :mrgreen: You can purchase large scale aircraft props from the hobby shop in two, three or four blade made from plastic or nylon and they would work great. Most that size fit on a 1/4" shaft and they do have pusher props available as well. Can't wait to see the pictures! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Absolutely brilliant!
mad3cker

Post by mad3cker »

quick sketch :dance:
Attachments
20130614_212138.jpg
RedRoaster

Post by RedRoaster »

very cool!
AlanC