Not impressed at all with Malibu

Kodiakk

Not impressed at all with Malibu

Post by Kodiakk »

I just bought my nephew a Malibu kayak online. When we got it home from the airport I noticed I couldn't get the middle hatch to close. Took it up to ACK to get a anchor trolley installed and have them look at the hatch. Well it was put in wrong and it will have to be warrantied it looks like.

This is after dealing with a continual nightmare of a X-factor. Constant cracks in the scupper holes and seat. I've gotten it welded 4 times now and it still cracks again and leaks. Then when I picked up the kayak once by the handle the handle broke off in my hand. Another huge crack. This X-factor I bought second hand so I haven't talked to Malibu about fixing it since I've heard they won't honor a second hand kayak.

Don't know what's up with Malibu and I really want to like their product since I love my X-factor other then the constant cracking issues. Just wanted to toss this out there so others are blind sided.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Not impressed at all with Malibu

Post by Mythman »

They have met the enemy and they are them!
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

Mythman wrote:They have met the enemy and they are them!

If they could only get their company act together!

I've always liked Malibu's designs in their fishing product lines. They do seem to struggle with quality especially on their accessories.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

If you go back and search some other problems with new purchases, a common thread is buying sight unseen. Not just Maibu, though they have their own problems.
jakec1

Post by jakec1 »

Love their designs - but I won't buy one.
jakec1

Post by jakec1 »

Love their designs - but I won't buy one.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

I'd call the manufacturer first. Tell them the issues and give them a chance to fix them.

If you don't get a satisfactory answer then blast them on the social media sites.
yokoman

Post by yokoman »

I have the stealth and the only real problem that i have had with it is the factory rudder giving me issues. Give them a call and they will help you out.
pinnaclecaster

Post by pinnaclecaster »

Wolfman57 wrote:I'd call the manufacturer first. Tell them the issues and give them a chance to fix them.

If you don't get a satisfactory answer then blast them on the social media sites.
I agree and disagree with this. We all know that we are all human and make mistakes but that is why companies have quality control personal. That is where I like to hear about things that are wrong with products from the factory so I do know that I would need to buy this locally, these are not small things that we are buying but large inconveinent items that cost alot of money and I personally would want everything to be correct and if it is not I think we have a right to voice what went wrong even if we know the manufacture will fix it. Just my opinion.
Kodiakk

Post by Kodiakk »

Wolfman57 wrote:I'd call the manufacturer first. Tell them the issues and give them a chance to fix them.

Sorry you disagree with what I've said. I don't see the problem though considering if they make it right I'll certainly post that also.

I've bought two products from the company and both have problems. The fact is when I'm spending around a thousand dollars I expect some sort of QC instead of having to deal with problems. My nephew (who I bought the kayak for) has a river trip coming this weekend. He will not have a kayak to use for his trip now.
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Post by pdt818 »

Malibu's corporate upheaval is an ongoing process. If you get a hold of them, you are one of the lucky ones. When and if you get a hold of them, a resolution can take a long time to come to. Some have gotten it handled quickly, but I always thought that the resolution was shotty at best. I have had to deal with them many times over the last 3 years. Not necessarily on the top of my list as favorite things to do.

I would post your dismay where ever you can. It seems most who do this with Malibu get some sort of response more quickly than others.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

pdt818 wrote:Malibu's corporate upheaval is an ongoing process. If you get a hold of them, you are one of the lucky ones. When and if you get a hold of them, a resolution can take a long time to come to. Some have gotten it handled quickly, but I always thought that the resolution was shotty at best. I have had to deal with them many times over the last 3 years. Not necessarily on the top of my list as favorite things to do.

I would post your dismay where ever you can. It seems most who do this with Malibu get some sort of response more quickly than others.
There is a lesson here! :idea:
Kodiakk

Post by Kodiakk »

Update. My sister was going to handle the warranty, but she didn't have enough time so I took it over three weeks ago. They were very easy to contact and they requested pictures and a video. Right away I emailed them them pictures and video. I emailed them again after week two with no plan of action. The rep said she CC'ed the email to another person in warranty. It's been over three weeks now with no plan of action. Still not impressed.....

In my business we've replaced a tool clear in the middle east in 3 days.
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Post by pdt818 »

I would be the loud, obnoxious, proverbial squeaky wheel. Blow their phone up everyday disclaiming your dismay for the product and their "warranty" process. First time I've ever heard of a kayak manufacturer ask for a video though. Odd. I've handled hundreds of warranty claims and that's the absolute first time I've heard of that. Keep posting here and find out if they have a Facebook page or a twitter account. Blow up their feeds with comments or questions and specifically name who you've been dealing with. They're going to have to respond with all the negative press.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

X2..............I have noticed, over the years, the squeaky wheel seems to get the most attention from Malibu.

Too bad they are like that, they use to make and stand behind a good product.

Things change! :cry:
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

pdt818 wrote:I would be the loud, obnoxious, proverbial squeaky wheel. Blow their phone up everyday disclaiming your dismay for the product and their "warranty" process. First time I've ever heard of a kayak manufacturer ask for a video though. Odd. I've handled hundreds of warranty claims and that's the absolute first time I've heard of that. Keep posting here and find out if they have a Facebook page or a twitter account. Blow up their feeds with comments or questions and specifically name who you've been dealing with. They're going to have to respond with all the negative press.
I definately agree. Social media has become a powerful tool. If you feel like they aren't holding up their end of things, I would do everything in my power to try and make them. I would not go off cussing them and bashing them in an uncivil way, but address the issues in a professional way where others can see. And I love Malibu and my Stealth 14, sorry to hear you're having such issues. Hope you get them worked out.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

I've owned two yaks from malibu and both I never had a problem with either and still wish I had my mini-x for quick trips. The x-13 was a good yak as well but soon was replaced after i paddled a Trident 13 and a cuda 14 just because for me they were better overall yaks. these were also made more than a couple of years ago though and I believe they have started having their problems more recently.
Kodiakk

Post by Kodiakk »

Another quick update. Called them this morning when I got off work, a lady answered and basically told me there was a major accident and everyone was running very late. She took down my information and promised someone would email me by their lunchtime in kommiefornia. Woke up this evening and checked my email. No email was sent by them.
Newf88

Post by Newf88 »

I know your pain, I bought a stealth 12 last spring, and its pretty easy to see the lack of care in their QC. My side hatches (standing platform) leak more than acceptable while btb, and the center hatch (can be used as livewell) doesn't seal or keep water from going into it from the top at all, I was hoping to use it to store some things dry while fishing instead of having a livewell.

That being said, when I looked at buying my kayak online they made it VERY clear that I should check the kayak over 100% at the airport before signing anything to say it was delivered satisfactory, any defects or problems, don't sign and have it sent back/replaced.

Either way, good luck in your journey and keep us posted!
japacejr

Post by japacejr »

Sent you a PM.

Real sorry to hear that their quality issues continue.

As a big guy I love the stability of my Stealth 12 and would love to upgrade to a Stealth 14 or X-Factor but I will be looking elsewhere unfortunately.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I've paddled over 400 miles in my Malibu Extreme, and the majority of those miles were offshore. I've never had a problem with the kayak, except a few little things like the cracks in the hull... or the incredibly leaky hatches requiring pumping every hour... or the slow cockpit drainage while paddling through the surf. When those "minor" details aren't cropping up, it really is a dream kayak. I just wish problems didn't crop up so often. I bought a nice manual pump, and I'm building a new set of muscles used to pump water out of the hull, so there's that upside. :roll:

I do like the layout and carrying capacity of my Extreme, but currently the Cuda 14 has caught my eye. I'm going to take my time before buying, talking to others who have already bought one to see what if any problems come up. To this point the Cuda looks like a good answer for me, but I'm still watching for other options.
Tee4Texas

Post by Tee4Texas »

I've recently become interested in the Malibu kayaks and especially the X-factor. I am considering purchase of a 2013 (redesigned rear hatch). A general concensus I have read is that the pre-2008 yaks are the ones with cracking, hatch, etc. problems and that possibly the boat quality is better now although I understand the CS side is still touch-and-go. Can anyone confirm or have experience that boats mfg'd within the last year or so are having problems? I like what Malibu offers from a design standpoint but if it takes on water, it doesn't matter. It would be good if a more reputable name were to take over their designs and start producing and servicing these products.

Thanks in advance for the input!
japacejr

Post by japacejr »

Prof. Salt wrote: ... I bought a nice manual pump, and I'm building a new set of muscles used to pump water out of the hull, so there's that upside. :roll:
Prof Salt, what kind of pump are you using? I probably need to get one for my Stealth 12.
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

Tee4Texas wrote:I've recently become interested in the Malibu kayaks and especially the X-factor. I am considering purchase of a 2013 (redesigned rear hatch). A general concensus I have read is that the pre-2008 yaks are the ones with cracking, hatch, etc. problems and that possibly the boat quality is better now although I understand the CS side is still touch-and-go. Can anyone confirm or have experience that boats mfg'd within the last year or so are having problems? I like what Malibu offers from a design standpoint but if it takes on water, it doesn't matter. It would be good if a more reputable name were to take over their designs and start producing and servicing these products.

Thanks in advance for the input!
My 2010/2011 Stealth 14 had zero problems, but the way I understand it, older that that, there were issues and now the newer models are having issues. I loved my Stealth 14 though I would be hesitant buying another.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

japacejr wrote:
Prof. Salt wrote: ... I bought a nice manual pump, and I'm building a new set of muscles used to pump water out of the hull, so there's that upside. :roll:
Prof Salt, what kind of pump are you using? I probably need to get one for my Stealth 12.
I picked up a Scotty from Yakshack, and it's a good pump. It doesn't need a cumbersome hose, just put the bottom down in the bilge and start pumping. The water shoots 5 feet or more over the side and it empties water pretty quickly. It has a float built in so if I ever drop it over the side it can be retrieved.