FTU reel cleaning services?

C.res.Q

FTU reel cleaning services?

Post by C.res.Q »

Has anyone taken their reels there to be cleaned. If so how much am I looking at spending? I have a Shimano Citica and a Sedona. Thanks in advance...Chris
Fish Tales
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Fish Tales »

I was wondering the same thing. I would like to have my whole rack cleaned in the winter by a pro. I clean my spinning reels every other week but I dont think im mechanically inclined enough to do the baitcasters myself
SCREAMINREELS

Post by SCREAMINREELS »

Not too sure...i use tackle hut on the north side of houston...if you get to go to the fishing show bring your reel and drop by the shimano booth if you can go on friday (not busy) thw guys will go through it with you..... i left my reel soaking in saltwater in my yak for 2 weeks and just dropped it off didnt know my yak had water in it and forgot i threw my rod under...not sure what the damage is yet but figured id give it to the pros.... give tackle hut a call...small shop with good service and cheap prices
TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: FTU reel cleaning services?

Post by TexasSurfFisherman »

C.res.Q (formerly Gip) wrote:Has anyone taken their reels there to be cleaned. If so how much am I looking at spending? I have a Shimano Citica and a Sedona. Thanks in advance...Chris
Bring them to me Chris you know where I live.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

If you live in the Galveston/Clear Lake area, one of the best and most affordable and quickest turn around reel persons I know is Mike Cubbage.

I think he lives in Tiki Island nowl

He can be reached at:

Mike Cubbage Reel Repair 281.235.7526
Mitchw123456
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mitchw123456 »

Don't waste your time and money at FTU, take them to Mike
C.res.Q

Post by C.res.Q »

Thanks guys. I downloaded the schematics from the shimano website but I used vasoline instead of reel lube. Don't know if thats good or bad :?
bigfish210

ftu

Post by bigfish210 »

Ditto....FTU reel repair/cleaning is not great. However, it is a good place to buy replacement parts for d.i.y. repair.
Reel Tactics

Post by Reel Tactics »

I clean reels!
SkinnyConHeo

Post by SkinnyConHeo »

Vaseline :shock: ???

...it seems like the same consistency, but not sure.

Any one care to chime in.
ecofly
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by ecofly »

Almost Every time I've taken apart a reel I've messed them up.
Did it on some stradics in the past. FTU on I-10 charged me like $85 bucks the last time and similar the time before that. Now the last time I'd lost a little part in my repair attempt.
Since then, I just buy mid range reels for saltwater and rinse them lightly with water after use. Then I s*** can them when they get rough and buy new ones.
I got a $50 gift card to cabelas in july which i used for a $49 salt striker combo. It looks almost exactly like my stradics. mustve been intentional. and it has ten ball bearings. shimano's my favorite, but i kinda like the throw away routine for saltwater reels.
Shell Pad

Post by Shell Pad »

I clean my own since the 1960's but I do have to buy replacement parts when a spring or c-ring happens to jump out of my fingers and play hide & seek.

I then go to The Rod N Reel Repair Center in Humber. The seem to have a pretty good inventory and it's close to Spring, TX.
davies

Post by davies »

I really think that I'm a lazy person and I always go with my reels at a professional cleaner. It doesn't cost much, I think last time it cost me like $60. I can't really pay more than this. Maybe this is a good price because the cleaner is a good friend of mine:)
Last edited by davies on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrewTK

Post by DrewTK »

I took a spinning reel to FTU on I-10 a year or two ago because the bail was starting to stick and it wasn't as smooth as it used to be. Their turn around time was more than a month, which I was okay with since I have plenty of other reels, but it wasn't cheap and the reel wasn't much better than when I dropped it off.
jhunter77

Post by jhunter77 »

I would not got to FTU for anything. I went one time and the service was so bad I left. I was looking at spending $300 on a rod and reel. So I left and went to bass pro in Katy and got it there. FTU will never get my business again.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I have taken my reels to FTU for years and was always irked about the slow turnaround, but the cost and quality of the work has never been a problem. I did stop taking them to the I-10 store tho, because I have a friend who is tight w the owner and if I give my reels to him, he takes them into the Gulf Freeway store and we get them back in a week. Which might explain why some people who don't have an inside connection have to wait longer.

But again, the quality of the work has never been in question. As to comments about service, I have never gotten anything but full service in either of their stores - knowledgeable people who fish and kayak more than I do. I have had to wait 5-10 minutes for help, but it's because they were busy helping someone else who was there before I was.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

And I want to say it's $35/reel plus parts, but it's been 2 years since I've taken in a reel (haven't fished as much as I'd like lately) :(
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

I've had both kinds of experiences with FTU on I-10. They did some bearing upgrades to my Curado E7 that stepped the reel up from an all ready high performance level; did it while I waited. I've been snubbed by the sales people who weren't busy but just ignored me. I've also had some very good sales assistance when looking for specific items. Reel cleaning turn around being a month will never earn my business as I just can't wait that long. Their prices are at the high end but they carry some great gear not found elsewhere on this side of town.

I spend with them but not as much as Academy.

My $.02.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Forever Fishing wrote:I spend with them but not as much as Academy.
Ditto that, I get 90% of my gear at Academy, closer and less expensive, but they generally don't have any knowledgeable staff in their fishing department (I don't need help tho except to find something).
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

Yaklash wrote:
Forever Fishing wrote:I spend with them but not as much as Academy.
Ditto that, I get 90% of my gear at Academy, closer and less expensive, but they generally don't have any knowledgeable staff in their fishing department (I don't need help tho except to find something).
Good ol Academy