Sun Protection

wetnhungry

Sun Protection

Post by wetnhungry »

Looking for a good balaclava type hood. Everything I've found is around $20, which seems like a lot for a glorified scarf. I found a shirt with a built in mask/hood from Breathe like a fish for $44 that looks pretty good.

Any suggestions?
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Sun Protection

Post by Cuervo Jones »

20 bones is an order of magnitude or two less than the cost of surgery to remove a carcinoma. Ask anyone who's had to deal with it.
Flats stalker

Post by Flats stalker »

Have you tried the Buff there nice, breathable and fits different ways
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

Flats stalker wrote:Have you tried the Buff there nice, breathable and fits different ways
I'm pretty sure that's the glorified scarf he's referring to...

X2 on Cuervo's response...I used to use sunscreen all the time, then forget to reapply, get my glasses greasy...now I won't go fishing without my Buff...a small price to pay in my opinion. Sun gloves either, for that matter. My $ .02
DX2

Post by DX2 »

Buff cheap insurance !
Red tickler

Post by Red tickler »

M T Stringer wrote:
Flats stalker wrote:Have you tried the Buff there nice, breathable and fits different ways
I'm pretty sure that's the glorified scarf he's referring to...

X2 on Cuervo's response...I used to use sunscreen all the time, then forget to reapply, get my glasses greasy...now I won't go fishing without my Buff...a small price to pay in my opinion. Sun gloves either, for that matter. My $ .02
X3. You would think they could make it for less but it's worth it. They wear well so you'll get plenty of use out of it.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Ive tried numerous hats, shrouds, bandanas and scarves over the year and I really like the Buff from October thru May, but in the hot months I find them to be quite stifling, especially if I'm paddling any distance.

Neutrogena makes a product called "Age Shield FACE" that I get in SPF 70. Put it on before you get to the launch w enough time for it to dry well and it lasts a long time. At the very most, I'll reapply after 4 hours (after a lunch break).
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

Thanks for replies. Yes, I agree that $20 is much cheaper than skin cancer. However, I was just inquiring about a cheaper alternative for a piece of tubular cloth, since my whole family fishes and it would be more like $80 for 4. Still cheaper than cancer, I know, and that's fine if that's all that's available.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Bandana.
99 cents.
Do it.
Attachments
image.jpg
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Bandana.
99 cents.
Do it.
I thought you'd be much older with such wisdom and all. Which gang is the color red associated with?
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

The Apple Dumplin' Gang...
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

M T Stringer wrote:The Apple Dumplin' Gang...
Werd.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

M T Stringer wrote:The Apple Dumplin' Gang...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

wetnhungry wrote:Looking for a good balaclava type hood. Any suggestions?
(Now that humor has been injected to this thread by another)

I am not sure what a Greek pastry will do to protect you from the sun's damaging effects.
OneFishTwoFish

Post by OneFishTwoFish »

Maybe this is more ur budget...
http://www.fystore.com/p246807/Gray-Col ... t-Cap.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also bought one of those big sombreros too from the gas station, waiting to try that out soon,
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I would like One Fish Two Fish's autograph. He sure looks like one of the goofy(no offense meant) characters on American Hoggers. Actually I am sure he is not goofy but the resemblence(sp?) is keen!
Walmart sells a Buff knockoff for around $10. The Gator Gel is rather greasy when you first put it on but it does last the advertised 8 hours or so and it seems to work.
vic'sfly

Post by vic'sfly »

x2 never go fishing without one skin cancer is no joke! and if it takes 20 dollars to prevent it , Hey i'll do it ! radiation is more expensive to cure it later!
Bige yaker

Post by Bige yaker »

Just bought a couple of buffs from the grizgear.com, and breathelikeafish.com. 22.00 each delivered to house! money well spent! Just came from Dermatologist. I'm 52 yrs old. Burned of 10-15 spots on face and arms. 100 dollars! Two may be cancer and addition action at more dollars! You do the math! Wear your long sleeves ,hats,and BUFFS!
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

Most sunscreen I see at the store is like $10 per bottle or more. You make back the $20 on a Buff in no time.
Troutless
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Troutless »

I purchased a buff and sun gloves that I've only used once and used in early spring and I haven't been able use them since. But I also use sun screen on my face. I'm 73 and have been paying to have the sun spots burned off and two cancers cut out. I just received a bill a couple of days ago and I need to sent another $150.00 to the doc. So protection is a lot cheaper.
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

mickeyd wrote:I would like One Fish Two Fish's autograph. He sure looks like one of the goofy(no offense meant) characters on American Hoggers. Actually I am sure he is not goofy but the resemblence(sp?) is keen!
Walmart sells a Buff knockoff for around $10. The Gator Gel is rather greasy when you first put it on but it does last the advertised 8 hours or so and it seems to work.
BINGO!! Finally someone who understood what I was asking. Thanks for all the tips about skin cancer though.

Hey Yaklash - If I had some baklava, I wouldn't waste it ON my face - it would be IN my face!! With lots of milk.
engineer

Post by engineer »

Be careful buying off brand stuff. If it doesn't have an SPF rating, it may still allow for harmful UV radiation exposure. Unfortunately, you can still get skin damage with a lot of garments even when they "cover" you fully.
SmilinJoe

Post by SmilinJoe »

This is going to be my 2nd year to really get into saltwater yak fishing so hopefully will really get to give my gear a workout. I have all the SPF clothing and was pleasantly surprised last year at how cool it kept me. Soaked buff in ice water and put on or poured cold water on my shirt and wore sun gloves. Of course slathered sunscreen on an hour or so before going out and never got burned. Look on ebay, I found buffs for 12 dollars before. Got one for me and my son. Hope to see you out there.
SmilinJoe

Post by SmilinJoe »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buff-UV-Protect ... 20d084395a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here you go. Less than 20, can buy several in one shot, and free shipping.
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

Thanks