Memorial Day 2/3 Day Float- May 25-27

rodloos

Re: Memorial Day 2/3 Day Float- May 25-27

Post by rodloos »

I'm OK with the cost of a shuttle, it's going to be a lot less than my cost of gas to get down there :).

I don't know yet whether I'll make it down there Friday night and stay at the hobo camp, or early Saturday. Just let me know where/when to meet if I don't make it down to camp the night before.
waynewilson417

Post by waynewilson417 »

rodloos wrote:I'm OK with the cost of a shuttle, it's going to be a lot less than my cost of gas to get down there :).

I don't know yet whether I'll make it down there Friday night and stay at the hobo camp, or early Saturday. Just let me know where/when to meet if I don't make it down to camp the night before.
I'm all for the shuttle as well, seems to be the easiest way of doing it.

I am all packed and ready to go, minus the food situation. Still unsure what I want to pig out on, I'm hoping that the fishing is decent. I'm more than ok with having some fresh fish filets to grub down on.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

I'm still in, and am fine with the shuttle if that's the consensus! Just let me know when and where we're meeting sat am!
waynewilson417

Post by waynewilson417 »

Anyone know what the fish are usually biting on up there?
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

I will know for sure if I can make it by Wed. I am getting everything ready to go so I will be ready and if I can make it work I am in. Whatever the group decides on the shuttle I am ok with that.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

texan4ut wrote:I will know for sure if I can make it by Wed. I am getting everything ready to go so I will be ready and if I can make it work I am in. Whatever the group decides on the shuttle I am ok with that.
Got you as a possible.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Wayne,

Lot of these guys are converting to fly fishing but I think if you have some plastic including craws (Chartreuse and pumpkin flaked) along with a few plugs and a spinner bait you will be set for bass.
waynewilson417

Post by waynewilson417 »

Hirsch wrote:Wayne,

Lot of these guys are converting to fly fishing but I think if you have some plastic including craws (Chartreuse and pumpkin flaked) along with a few plugs and a spinner bait you will be set for bass.

i ended up going to academy earlier and picking up a few things. i hate going to academy because i'll always go in there for a handful of items, and come out with a couple hundred dollars worth of things....

on the bright side, i did end up buying one hell of a machete :lol:
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

waynewilson417 wrote:
Hirsch wrote:Wayne,

i ended up going to academy earlier and picking up a few things. i hate going to academy because i'll always go in there for a handful of items, and come out with a couple hundred dollars worth of things....

on the bright side, i did end up buying one hell of a machete :lol:
well if you end up going to academy again I have NEVER been skunked on the colorado with some green pumpkin baby brush hogs and the bigger ones if the water is muddy or stained.... I cant tell you the secret to the way you rig them but just the plastics will get you some bites. that being said I believe i've talked myself into only bringing a couple of flyrods for this trip so it may very well end up in a skunk for me this time :oops: but it's been soo long since i've been on the river that I won't care after a good rinse in the water and a full belly after dinner!
t100

Post by t100 »

Get a small crank for the fast water. Get on the outside of a Eddie and burn the crank through. The guads cant stand it!!
waynewilson417

Post by waynewilson417 »

t100 wrote:Get a small crank for the fast water. Get on the outside of a Eddie and burn the crank through. The guads cant stand it!!
thanks for the tip! small square billed cranks are my favorite lure to use next to jigs. i also ran into a guy at academy today that says he's caught many fish on the colorado using swim baits. so i picked up a few packs to give them a shot.

on a side note, 4 nights and a wake-up. i'm starting to get pretty excited to get on the water.

what time is everyone planning on getting to the hobo camp on friday? i was thinking of leaving houston around noon to tray and beat all of the west bound traffic on I-10.
DNR

Post by DNR »

I'll be there.
Paul, where do you want to take out, Fishermans Park or the other park just before there?
You should call Bastrop River Co. again.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

OK, David, I just got off the phone with the Bastrop River Company when I found your note. They would shuttle drivers only from Fisherman's Park back to the bridge for $15 a head normally but he said that was too high for 8 and quoted me $30 flat. I told him that was too low and we would take $30 flat plus any tips. I will ask $5 per adult (18 and over), That should leave him closer to $40.

Knowing that some will be driving a distance and some will be breaking camp gathering at the 969 bridge at 9:00 has worked well in the past and I see no reason to change. So we will meet at the 969 bridge at 9:00, offload and leave passengers to watch equipment, drive to the park and catch a shuttle back. Should have us actually launching about 10:00. Right now I show 8 drivers and will do my best to have a passenger. Does anybody else have a passenger to play guard while we shuttle?
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Hirsch wrote:So we will meet at the 969 bridge at 9:00, offload and leave passengers to watch equipment, drive to the park and catch a shuttle back.
Just so I'm clear, are we talking about where 969 crosses the river, near what google maps shows as Colorado River RV Park? Or near Little Webberville Park and Cooks Canoes? Or another place? I'm worried I'm going to show up somewhere for a trip by myself :cry: . I'm not very familiar with the area.
yaktipper

Post by yaktipper »

Okay I've been up to my ears in alligators at work so I haven't been on the forum, but DO count me in. I so need this trip... you have no idea. Can't wait to see y'all!
yaktipper

Post by yaktipper »

Hirsch wrote:OK, David, I just got off the phone with the Bastrop River Company when I found your note. They would shuttle drivers only from Fisherman's Park back to the bridge for $15 a head normally but he said that was too high for 8 and quoted me $30 flat. I told him that was too low and we would take $30 flat plus any tips. I will ask $5 per adult (18 and over), That should leave him closer to $40.

Knowing that some will be driving a distance and some will be breaking camp gathering at the 969 bridge at 9:00 has worked well in the past and I see no reason to change. So we will meet at the 969 bridge at 9:00, offload and leave passengers to watch equipment, drive to the park and catch a shuttle back. Should have us actually launching about 10:00. Right now I show 8 drivers and will do my best to have a passenger. Does anybody else have a passenger to play guard while we shuttle?
Want to carpool?
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Linda, I have a couple invites out and unanswered but if they do not come I was going to call you and offer a ride. Let you know as soon as I know.

Rod that is the 969 crossing near Bastrop that is adjacent to the RV park.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Ok IM still in is John going to build another glow stick fire pit ?
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Yep, glow sticks it is. You can cook on them. You food will glow. When you do numero 2 that will glow also.. :mrgreen:
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Ethan and I will be there. Yaks and gear spread out on garage floor. Glowsticks packed. Following John over on Fri afternoon. Shuttle is great.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Liked to have made this one,and catch up with you guys/girls again, but with busted ankle not possible, enjoy the trip and company.

MM
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

anybody know how to check how the water's moving and/or check if there was some rain that might effect the levels and clarity?
DNR

Post by DNR »

CamoBassProwler13 wrote:anybody know how to check how the water's moving and/or check if there was some rain that might effect the levels and clarity?
Here's the Bastrop gage.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?08159200
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

makenmend wrote:Liked to have made this one,and catch up with you guys/girls again, but with busted ankle not possible, enjoy the trip and company.

MM
Sorry to hear that. Hurry and "mend" up.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Reservations made unless river is up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rock Cabin.jpg