104 Bull Reds caught at McFaddin today

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

104 Bull Reds caught at McFaddin today

Post by Mythman »

This is just a pre-report teaser.............but it is true 7 kayakers caught 104 bull reds at McFaddin today. Several scored their personal best.

Report to follow..........after I bath and eat. This was a good, good, good day!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
treysdaddy

Re: 104 Bull Reds caught at McFaddin today

Post by treysdaddy »

Wow, wow, wow :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm super jealous, but congrats guys! I can't wait for this report!
Plant

Post by Plant »

Wow!!!.......just wow!

Can't wait to read the full report and see exactly what I missed.
CGGunnersm8

Post by CGGunnersm8 »

chompin' at the bit to read this. :shock: :clap: :clap: :clap:
powerfulBAE

Post by powerfulBAE »

so upset with myself for not getting up and making it out there today, sounded like an amazing day.
i might be going tomorrow if anyone else would like to join me
lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

so I answered over a hundred emailes. Then Book 15 meetings and had enough time to grab a piece of chiken for lunch.

I wish I can say I was joking. Good Job gents!!! :dance:

Where are the pictures?????????
wisocrazy

Post by wisocrazy »

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!!! Can't wait for the full report and pics!!!
topout24

Post by topout24 »

It was trurly an epic day. Now i have to work all night but im glad to sacrifice the sleep for today :D :D
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

What a day...............what a day.............is it Fall..........why are the bull reds so thick and hungry?????

7 kaykers met today at McFaddin and slayed the bull reds. This will be a long story and every kayaker has his story to tell. You won't see many pics of people holding fish as we were all so busy catching fish, that we only took pics of our own fish.

First, as we arrived at the beach the wind and surf was way more than we expected.

Dr. Flatfish, Waten10 and Mitchell paddled out first. Most everyone got very well, getting through the surf.
I was later and I got my paddling hat handed to me two fold...............I was beat back to the sand on two attempts. My yak knocked me down at the edge of the surf and my knees were bloody............and I was breathing like a race horse......after a race. I was beginning to wonder if I had gone past the age of fishing BTB.

Wolfman took a pic of me while I rested before my third attempt to get pas the surf.....of course my camera still had water on the lens.

Well the third time was successful and I finally got out to 12 ft and anchored up. When I got there the first three were on their third or fourth fish. My first fish was a little shark.

Then a bull red.........I was way behind everyone else.

A shrimper came by and the CG was there checking him out.

Then I hooked up on something that just kept taking line and taking line and there was no stopping it. I had to get my other line in and unhooked from the anchor and took an extended sleigh ride. I got the leader up to the surface two times but couldn't see what I had been hooked up with for 20 minutes. I did think I saw a cigar shaped fish with a tail about 24 inches wide. I believe I had a Sandbar shark............but unfortunately he got me entangled in my anchor trolley and broke the line off. :cry:

Then it was just bull red, bull red, shark, gafftop, bull red and more bull reds. I will just post a few pics because you see one bull red you just about seen them all:

I wound up with 15 bull reds...................Dr. Flatfish had the hot hand today..........he had 25 bull reds. Several others were in double digits..........I will let them tell their stories.

The surf was pretty strong coming in ...............but nothing like going out.

Four of us "Paris Hilton" in and one of the four still flipped his yak in the surf. Three of the paddlers came in straight with no problems.

It was a good, good day of bull red fishing.................just like the Fall spawning run.
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

It was a awesome day. I ended up catching 20 bullreds. Three different times both of my rods went off at ounce. I took a bunch if pics, but they pretty much all look the same. It was definitely a day I will always remember. I had lots of fun.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg (35.54 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
HtXfisherMan8706

Post by HtXfisherMan8706 »

I am going this saturday for sure!!!
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Dang it Mike, you took quite a beating.....but no pain no gain! :clap:

Those are fall like numbers......hopefully my KW Team mate made it and put up some points! :D
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

May Day May Day! Made it to the beach at McFadden a little later than I expected.

Waves were a bit rough at the sand.
But after some pre launch adjustments I made it to the group already on the water. Sat for a bit and had my first run.
bronze looking fella
Stayed in that area for a while watching a shrimp boat get closer and closer....right when it was on us a coast guard boat came with flashers a flashing to board it....pretty neat to see
Stayed in that spot for abotu 3 hours and landed 7 fish...
Bryan pulled a few in too
decided to move to another spot and things just exploded for me....
I could not keep a rod going as they were ripping accross the water...
a couple of double hook ups
I was on fire the last spot and burned through my bait....ended the day with 18 Bull Reds...a few slimers.
Built a new lighter Bull Red pole for just this trip.
i was happy with it overall....my next build will be an acid wrapped pole for BTB
Before I left Bryan hooked up again.
tadaaaaa
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

cliftonio wrote:Dang it Mike, you took quite a beating.....but no pain no gain! :clap:

Those are fall like numbers......hopefully my KW Team mate made it and put up some points! :D
180 points put up today! put us on the scoreboard! Whoohoo

WM
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cudagreg »

wow guys thats just awesome
Salado

Post by Salado »

Wow! Looks like I really missed out. Congrats on catching all those fish.

I'll be out there this Saturday and Monday. Maybe Tuesday, too. Hope to see some of y'all out there.
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

Truly outstanding! Congrats to all!
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

You guys killed it!
topout24

Post by topout24 »

I got off work and loaded the gear up and headed stright to McFaddin with a work buddy for his First Kayak Fishing trip. launched a little after 9 and wasnt long my buddy was hooked up
DSCN0657.JPG
working on landing his first ever kayak bull red
DSCN0662.JPG
and the landing!!!!!!!!!
DSCN0667.JPG
we ended the day with 5 bullreds for the newbie and 6 for myself. I think the reds liked the fresh dead mullet better than the old frozen stuff i had. my buddy is hooked on kayak fishing now! He started looking for a kayak right when we got to work :lol: . it was great day none the less
topout24

Post by topout24 »

a few more pics
DSCN0676.JPG
DSCN0685.JPG
the last one for the day
DSCN0695.JPG
i think pretty much everybody ran out of bait. we did too, thanks mm for the extra mullet we neede it to help our numbers :lol: now i dont have a freezer full of old mullet and now i have a happy girlfriend because of that :wink: for those of yall that talked about going but didnt, YOU MISSED OUT :lol:
Sand Trout

Post by Sand Trout »

EPIC!!!! Thanks for posting.
dr.flatfish

Post by dr.flatfish »

All I can say is WOW WHAT A DAY. I have never experienced any thing like it. After MM's Monday trip I was just hoping we could do half as good.Wrong. As Mike stated the surf going out was rough and I got soaking wet with just about every wave going thru the surf. Made it out to about 12 ft but the main reason for stoping I was at the edge of the mud line. Man was that the right choice it was on like Donkey Kong. In just a mater of a few minutes fish on.
And I didn't even have my second rod in the water yet. After getting the second rod in number two and three . Then 4 and 5 were a double and my third rod was singing but by the time I could get to it fish gone.
It was so crazy I had to cut back to 2 rods. I in my mind I'm thinking 6 was my personal best and I've got a shot at beating that today.Wow was that an understatement. Cause 6,7,8 9 were one right after another. And number 10 before noon I've beat my personal best.

Last edited by dr.flatfish on Thu May 02, 2013 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
dr.flatfish

Post by dr.flatfish »

This is all sitting in the same sweet spot. And the bulls just keep coming.
I had a short lull and made the mistake of putting a third rod in the water.Wrong thing do do on a day like today. I ended up with a double hookup and while trying to work them in my third rod goes off and that bull makes a dive straight under my yak and well you can see in the pic the results. Although I was able to land it even on a stub of a rod. Thank goodness it was not one of my good rods just a cheap combo from BP.
I didn't notice that I had drifted off anchor but should have noticed since things had kind of slowed down. But when I looked back where all the potlickers were at I moved back to my spot. Again it was on this pic is actually 20 just didn't have enough fingers and toes.
Last edited by dr.flatfish on Thu May 02, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
topout24

Post by topout24 »

Might i add how fiesty they were! I seen two people break their rods wrestling these fish in! And some were running with the bait like sharks too! And some just swallowed it and sat there. :?
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

That's getting it done guys. Awesome day! Congratulations.

Way to hang in there Mike. Getting through that surf will test you on days like that... good bloody knees shot..