How many run jug lines from their yaks?

bearkat9293

How many run jug lines from their yaks?

Post by bearkat9293 »

My son and I have had a blast this morning running jug lines from our yaks. 20 so far and still fishing.
kunder3006

Re: How many run jug lines from their yaks?

Post by kunder3006 »

I do at times its nice to reach down for jug then have to stretch way down from PB.
airboat guy

Post by airboat guy »

I have been running jug lines out of my kayak for a few years now. when I go fishingits almost always for catfish.
I run 5 right now bc that's how many I have. but i'd like to order 3 more.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

I DO! I DO!
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

I run both jug and trot lines .... Trot lines can be a bit un-nerving , you really have to be careful not to get snagged by a hook. A really big fish .... can be a serious test.
bearkat9293

Post by bearkat9293 »

We ended up with 32. Most around 16"
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

I have a dozen "fishing noodle" jugs that float. They really are fun to watch when a fish gets on them. I usually throw them out near where in fishing and just keep an eye on them.
onebaddj

Post by onebaddj »

I use the old bleach jugs for floats. They work great cause you can store everything inside but the weights. Its a great time.
Tomkat07

Post by Tomkat07 »

airboat guy wrote:I have been running jug lines out of my kayak for a few years now. when I go fishingits almost always for catfish.
I run 5 right now bc that's how many I have. but i'd like to order 3 more.
, just make them. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/f ... p?t=283597" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have way more then I need already made lol.
Never jugged from a yak. But I'm going to!
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

I do, and it can be quite productive.

Earl
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Two weeks ago. My son's first with his new flagging jugs.

ShamusW

Post by ShamusW »

I made a jug gaff out of a golfclub shaft, some copper wire and shrink tube. I used wire just thick enough so if one ran it straightened out. Also, that's where my missing rod float was that caused me to loose a rod and reel weekend before last. :cry:
Weird1

Post by Weird1 »

I will usually make one out of a soda bottle, and a hook and line I find while paddling. I pick the parts up as trash on almost every trip (as trash clean up).Just before dark I build the line and set it. I get up in the morning and go collect the jug line snap a pic of the fish if there is one and clean him or release depending on his size and my mood!! Then carry on with my day, the bait is easily caught with the 2wt and a small copper john!! If there are any kids on the trip, they will be sitting at the waters edge discussing what is on the line. They will also be the first ones to spot the parts to make the line on the next outing which sharpens their eye for cleaning up while we are out.
Troutless
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Troutless »

What type of bait do you use on the jug lines? And are all of them anchored with a weight on the bottom.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Troutless wrote:What type of bait do you use on the jug lines? And are all of them anchored with a weight on the bottom.

I use braided nylon line on mine .... tie a knot ~8-10inches above the hook/swovel and use a weight salvaged from an old cast net. The knot will keep the weight from getting down near the bait.

Bait depends upon location and target fish - shad , bream , minnows , cut bait ....
Tomkat07

Post by Tomkat07 »

Troutless wrote:What type of bait do you use on the jug lines? And are all of them anchored with a weight on the bottom.
I use shad or perch, no weight. Free floating jugs. String is trot line main stage.
Little hard to manage with winds blowing. But so is a kayak :).

Lengths vary from 3' to 9' with double hooks on most. Only reason I don't anchor is they get hung up when fishing by sunken debris. And if your up in bayou gars will pull them down under logs and lose the whole thing. Dip net to land jugs then the fish.

And the rest is.....http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/d ... ed9b98.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
onebaddj

Post by onebaddj »

I usually run about 40-45 ft of line with hooks starting about 5 ft off the bottom and every 6ft to about 5ft from the jug. I use a biscuit pan to make the weights. Melt the lead in the pan and it makes about 3-4 lb weights to anchor the jugs. I run the line down to the bottom however deep it is and leave unused Line in the jug and put the cap back on. I pull the line up and put a hook on each loop bait and drop then repeat until all the hooks are baited. Come back in a few hours and collect your fish. I bait with what ever I catch there. Perch shad big minnows what ever.