Boat advise

ANMRanch

Boat advise

Post by ANMRanch »

I'm looking into getting back into kayaking for fishing and river trips. I am not new to this, just been out a few years.
I used to fish hard out of a scupper pro tw, loved that boat, wish I didn't sell it.
I will use this mostly for crusing the bays, running baits out in the surf, and possible btb (if someone teaches me about this)

Some of the things I'm looking for in another boat;
MUST Have:
SOT
Tank well (need to be able to take one or both of my boys, 2 & 4, on short paddle trips
RUDDER (or able to put one on)
Be good for big boys (6'3" and lots of lbs)

Would like to have
Be effecient when paddling (used to crusing)
Be able to stand and fish (or atleast stand and scout)
Dry storage

I have started to look at what is out there, and everything is so different from 10-15 years ago.
What is some advise on what kayak to look into to, and which ones might not work.

Thanks.
hickoxp

Re: Boat advise

Post by hickoxp »

ANMRanch wrote:I'm looking into getting back into kayaking for fishing and river trips. I am not new to this, just been out a few years.
I used to fish hard out of a scupper pro tw, loved that boat, wish I didn't sell it.
I will use this mostly for crusing the bays, running baits out in the surf, and possible btb (if someone teaches me about this)

Some of the things I'm looking for in another boat;
MUST Have:
SOT
ANMRanch wrote:Tank well (need to be able to take one or both of my boys, 2 & 4, on short paddle trips
RUDDER (or able to put one on)
Be good for big boys (6'3" and lots of lbs)
^^ First you need to define your total weight (you plus the gear).
ANMRanch wrote:Would like to have
Be effecient when paddling (used to crusing)
Be able to stand and fish (or atleast stand and scout)
Dry storage
^^ This is the holy grail of kayaking. You end up not getting all you want because some of these perimeters work against the others. Especially if you need a boat that can carry a substantial amount of persons and gear.
ANMRanch wrote:I have started to look at what is out there, and everything is so different from 10-15 years ago.
What is some advise on what kayak to look into to, and which ones might not work.

Thanks.
There are many here who live eat and sleep saltwater kayaking. I look forward to what they tell you.
SurfMonkey

Post by SurfMonkey »

Find you a nice used Malibu XFactor...
You will not find a large capacity yak that cruises like the one you may have had.

Good for fishing the bays and works well BTB...
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

To meet your needs and desires, I would suggest a Malibu X-Factor or Stealth 14. Either will take a "Gator Hatch" where kids can sit!
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

I agree! For what u r needing it for that's it

Possibly a WS T130 sits up to 3 ( all depend on weight) and u can convert to solo or double and triple.

If u do 3 u lose tank well area.

FEATURES

Made in the USA
Comfort Seating System (backrest only)
Side Carry Handles with Paddle Holder
Molded Footbrace System
Soft Touch Handles
2-6" Midship Hatches
Tankwell w/ Bungee
SPECIFICATIONS

Length: 13' / 396 cm
Width: 34" / 86 cm
Max Capacity: 550 lbs. / 249 kg
Deck Height: 15" / 38 cm
Weight: 69 lbs. / 31 kg
Cockpit Length: 52" / 132 cm
Cockpit Width: 20" / 51 cm
bsshaver

Post by bsshaver »

Agreed on the XFactor by Malibu. Extremely stable. Plenty of room. I think the carrying capacity is about 600 lbs. I love mine. The drawback is it's like paddling a humpback whale. :lol: not really.

There are a lot to choose from and some really good choices. I wasn't into kayaking 10+ years ago but I can just imagine how much the boats have evolved, just like everything else........except for humans of coarse. Genesis 1:27 :clap:
ANMRanch

Post by ANMRanch »

Thanks for the advise. I was leaning towards one of the Malibu.
For the time being, I was able to get the hook up with another Scupper Pro (even same color as my old one).
I'll be keeping my eye on the X-Factor. I might up grade in a year or two.