Heading to Kerrville Sunday morning

Off-Duty_Dad

Heading to Kerrville Sunday morning

Post by Off-Duty_Dad »

I'm planning on going out to Kerrville Ponding Lake on Sunday Morning. Not sure if that's the common name for it, but that's what Google Maps say. Anyone been out there and can give me any pointers/advice on safety issues or anything to watch out for?

Hope everyone stay safe this weekend. The weather is warming up, so please don't get complacent and sacrifice your safety for fun and sun!

If anyone is going to be out there, or wants to meet me, let me know. I'll be in my new Chupacabra! :mrgreen: I am planning on putting in right at the 98 bridge, 2 doors down from The Lakehouse.

I appreciate any advice/suggestions anyone can give, I'm definitely looking forward to the trip, and you just never know, I may even be find me a few little fishies while I'm there.

Thanks Guys, and gals,
Keep the top side up
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Heading to Kerrville Sunday morning

Post by texnomad »

I move to Comfort tomorrow 3-13-13. I do not know if I will be there or not but I am really excited about using my yak all around the Hill Country. Please post pics of your adventure to keep me excited.
Fadedred

Post by Fadedred »

There's a couple ponding lakes in Kerrville. The largest Nemitz , recently named, and
Louise Hays park.

I fish Nemitz mostly because it's convenient and no power boats allowed. I've caught bass regularly at or near either of the boat ramps. Lots of shallow areas with max depth @ 18' near the dam. It has some really nice sunfish ans some huge Red Ear SFsh.
Louise Hays is small and narrow. I catch mostly Sunfish there, but some small bass. I need to mention a lot of this is fly fishing. Right now there are still trout in the upper river portion. Launch under the Lemos St bridge.
Flatrock is a little larger lake with some good bass fishing right now. I was there yesterday afternoon, but the bite was slow for me. Planning on getting out in the morning for a while. You can launch from the ramp. but I use and area almost half way to the dam as I usually fish on that end.
3/12/13 report
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubb ... ost8692614
Last edited by Fadedred on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonFox

Post by BrandonFox »

I live here, you should do well on bass. I am out of town until sunday evening but if you are around monday your welcome to come carp fishing with me. Been catching many on fly.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 2&t=193719" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
carp31213.jpg
neon14

Post by neon14 »

I know the bridge you are talking about. Every time I go over it I look up river and think that looks pretty fishy. Never tried it. Might have to soon.
Fadedred

Post by Fadedred »

Fished Flatrock this morning for 1.5 hours. I launched from my spot and paddled .8 mile to the dam. I was tossing a fluke jr on a weighted hook to the pads and grass as I worked my way back. Ended up with 5, three 12", one 14", & a 17". Took me longer to get in and get out than I fished.

All nice healthy fish.
IMG_0377[1].JPG
IMG_0379[1].JPG
pancho vanilla

Post by pancho vanilla »

neon14 wrote:I know the bridge you are talking about. Every time I go over it I look up river and think that looks pretty fishy. Never tried it. Might have to soon.
Let me know when you go Will and I would like to join you. I have caught a few nice fish up there.
Yakfoot

Post by Yakfoot »

Flatrock is the one farthest downstream and has by far the best cover, its a real hazard for power boats. Lots of stickups and there is a really good launch site for kayaks at the old washed out gravel boat ramp about a quarter mile from the concrete ramp and visible from it.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Picked this one up in Center Point yesterday, largest I have got out of that section of the river. Fishing is good right now.

Pancho I will give you a shout, gonna try to do something this weekend.
TL

Post by TL »

Be careful guys. You will get a bunch of S.A. yakers headin your way :)

I've caught nice fish in a few areas there. I even caught a 5 lb channel on a purple worm just across the ramp by Lakehouse restaurant. Place is snakey at times.
Fadedred

Post by Fadedred »

That's a good area. I think I'd favor launching at ramp behind Chilies. Fish the flat a drop offs behind the bank.
Fadedred

Post by Fadedred »

Looks like a perfect day to get out. I'll have too take advantage of the opportunity this pm
Fadedred

Post by Fadedred »

Interested in hearing how you made out. I got out there around 4:00 - 7:45. Launched behind Chilies & caught 7, 10" -14".
Off-Duty_Dad

Post by Off-Duty_Dad »

Looks like you had the right spot and time of day. I launched up at the north end, I guess around 10:15 or so. I was there til around 2:30 I guess. I caught one, way up the channel, and it was a little guy, probably 10" or so. Had a couple of bites up in the shallows where the lilly pads are, under the bridge, but they kind of hit at it and spit it right back out. They just weren't buying what I was selling.

Nice day to be out on the water though, so it was still a good day!

Maybe we should hook up there someday and you can show me ropes up there.
Fadedred

Post by Fadedred »

Call anytime, 817 239 6425 cell.

I think it's early for that end of the lake, too much shallow water and not enough cover. Let the grass and pads grow and it will be fine early and late. I've caught up to 18" 100 from the ramp.

The area behind Chillies offers better cover and deeper water around the flats. Also straight across the lake. I've caught up to 20" 100 yards from the ramp.