New member to forum - Australia

OzFnD

New member to forum - Australia

Post by OzFnD »

G day Guys,

I've just registered to TKFF so this is my first thread message. I live on the eastern side of Australia and regularly go off shore fishing on a Cobra FnD.

I've been kayak fishing for a few years now and enjoy the simplicity of being out on the open water

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... G_0573.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... /Kayak.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use a mix range of baits and lures,

Had a browse at your BTB threads and pretty impressed with the discussion content .

BTB is my preferred style although I do lakes, rivers and everything else in between.

Look forward to getting involved in the forum discussion

Cheers

OzFnD
Last edited by OzFnD on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Re: New member to forum - Australia

Post by RedWolf »

Welcome, always good to hear from the overseas kayakers.
hickoxp

Post by hickoxp »

Aussies are as close to being a nation of Texans as they come. Good folks and strong sense of adventure. Please feel free to post any adventures you would like to share.

Oh yes! welcome.
YakkinSETX
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by YakkinSETX »

Welcome to TKF!!

I like your trolling motor set up, I have a similar one.
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm pretty keen to visit Texas, there is a lot of about your culture I like, especially the outdoor stuff ( hunting and fishing). Hopefully one day I will get the chance to fly over for a holiday, and do some kayak fishing.

Cheers

OzFnD....
Last edited by OzFnD on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

Welcome aboard Mate! :mrgreen:
budreaux
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by budreaux »

Welcome! I like the rigging with the horizontal tubing. Gives you lots of attachment options.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

Welcome aboard, mate! We are looking forward to picking your brain for new methods.
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

YakkinSETX wrote:Welcome to TKF!!

I like your trolling motor set up, I have a similar one.

Trolling motors are pretty good with the FnD, I like using mine in the lakes and rivers around home but not off shore. My preference for offshore work is to paddle out in the morning when the wind is still and to ride the wind back when it's blowing back onto shore. I didn't want to turn my kayak into a sailing boat with all the riggings, attachments etc so went for the simplicity of the windpaddle . First and foremost the FnD is my Fishing KAYAK, so my preferrence is to pack it right , keep my fitness and paddle efficiency up. When I paddle I paddle but when favourable I like the idea of popping out a quick sail and taking any opportunities for an easy ride, so the Windpaddle fits this requirement perfectly.

Planning for weather, correct positioning of load/ weight factors, fitness and good paddling techniques have always been my no 1 priorities with off shore kayak fishing from FnD. This is common sense stuff I figure most people are practicing on this forum anyway.

I like to keep my gear simple and not too expensive for off shore incase I lose it in wild weather. Only thing I don't go cheap on is my safety gear like good quality 1st aid kit, marine radio, distress beacon etc ( especially if your life may depend on it).

Cheers

Aussie FnD Driver
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

TKFStubb wrote:Welcome aboard, mate! We are looking forward to picking your brain for new methods.
G Day TKFStubb,

Thanks for welcome mate, you guys have a great forum and I especially like the BTB section. I'm amazed at the amount of Cobra Kayak owners on this site, I would have presumed something like the Hobie Brand of kayaks to be used by majority of members on this forum. My favourite fishing is coastal a few hundred metres out and following the coast line, sometimes I just like to pick a spot , drop anchor and just use bait instead of lures.

Cheers

OzFnD
Last edited by OzFnD on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

budreaux wrote:Welcome! I like the rigging with the horizontal tubing. Gives you lots of attachment options.
G Day Budreaux,

Thanks for the cheers mate, my motor mount bracket is actually from over your way ( USA), it's from a mob who call it the Island Hopper Mount, made of alloy and heavy plastic tubing. Naturally when you buy these things there is always that voice in the back of your head that tells you how to make it better. I have looked at other ideas for making a heavier duty horizontal bracket so I can mount different Railblaza mounts onto it.

Best part about having a new kayak is all the modifications you can do.

Good luck with the fishing

Cheers

OzFnD
Last edited by OzFnD on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

txspeck wrote:Welcome aboard Mate! :mrgreen:
Thanks Champ

TKF looks like a great site, I am pretty impressed with all the die hard Cobra Kayak owners on this site especially the FnD Drivers. Here in Aussie the Hobie kayaks are pretty popular so I feel like an outcast as the plastic snake charmer ( love my cobra).

Cheers

OzFnD
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Welcome!!! If you need a fishing partner just say when. I'll be there. Good Luck. Share more pict.
hickoxp

Post by hickoxp »

The FnD shows to have a 600lbs capacity. How does it compare to the WS Ride 135?

Anyone?
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

Thinwater skinner wrote:Welcome!!! If you need a fishing partner just say when. I'll be there. Good Luck. Share more pict.
Geez you texans must be hard core BTB kayak fisho's, that's about 9463 miles of paddling

One suggestion though, I wouldnt buy any bait until you get to Australia.

cheers

OzFnD :lol:
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

OzFnD wrote:
Thinwater skinner wrote:Welcome!!! If you need a fishing partner just say when. I'll be there. Good Luck. Share more pict.
Geez you texans must be hard core BTB kayak fisho's, that's about 9463 miles of paddling

cheers

I will need about 2 hours notice now that I think about it. 9463 is a little farther then I had figured.. I was going for 9200 one way.
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

Thinwater skinner wrote:
OzFnD wrote:

cheers

I will need about 2 hours notice now that I think about it. 9463 is a little farther then I had figured.. I was going for 9200 one way.
Drink plenty of Red Bull that should perk up your paddling speed.

On a serious note if you do decide to fly out to Australia for a holiday sometime in the future and plan to do a bit of kayak fishing or land based fishing, give me a yell. I'm happy to go kayak fishing anytime and don't need much of an excuse to wet a line. Safety in numbers also.

Cheers

OzFnD..
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

Little bit late in another response on this, but if your fair dinkum about flying over to Australia for a holiday and keen on the local fishing scene, then drop me a PM

I have a few fishing kayaks I don't mind lending on occasion, if your keen to tag along with my trips out. Aussie fishing scene is different and a lot of fun.

Cheers

OzFnD