Native Slayer 14 or Jackson Cuda 14

tcfishie

Native Slayer 14 or Jackson Cuda 14

Post by tcfishie »

I am new to the site, what a great source of friendly information.

Question: Native Slayer 14 or Jackson Cuda 14? Looking to buy my first yak and though research I have narrowed by choices down to these two, I think. Does anyone have any opinions or experience with either/both of these?

The majority of my time will be spent fishing reds and specks in Xmas Bay, Drum Bay, West Bay.

Thanks for your help.
Full Throttle

Re: Native Slayer 14 or Jackson Cuda 14

Post by Full Throttle »

I have a cuda 12 and hobie revolution 12ft and a wilderness systems ride 13ft and a neckey cruser 12ft. I have paddled and fished the tarpon 12 are all good fishing kayaks. You should demo a few of them before you buy one. Native is a well made kayak and you can not go wrong on any of these kayaks. I like the 12ft kayaks to fish the marsh and they are lighter and more manuverable and have used them to BTB.
RiveRover

Post by RiveRover »

I,ve got a Slayer14, Great boat, fast, stable and the best seat in the business. I would highly recomend the Slayer.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

Paddle each one at a demo and then make an informed decision...advice from strangers is only worth so much. The Ford vs Chevy debate has been going on for decades... :idea:
deleon23

Post by deleon23 »

M T Stringer wrote:Paddle each one at a demo and then make an informed decision...advice from strangers is only worth so much. The Ford vs Chevy debate has been going on for decades... :idea:
No it hasn't! Everyone knows its Chevy! :D
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

deleon23 wrote:
M T Stringer wrote:Paddle each one at a demo and then make an informed decision...advice from strangers is only worth so much. The Ford vs Chevy debate has been going on for decades... :idea:
Not since GM is moving everything to China
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

Post by Big Kahuna »

Also when you demo I would try to bring a pole and do what ever you were normally do in the during the demo as you would when you fish. If you wanna stand and try to sight cast flounder than stand and try to find flounder. :lol:
90droptop

Post by 90droptop »

has anyone demoed both of these yaks? im looking for a new boat, i like the openess of the slayer not to cluttered in the cockpit area, and the vesitility of the groove system for adjusting rodholders/fish finder and the like. and the rod stagers
the cuda also has the stagers and the tip protector, the nice seat high low and rear positions.
and as far as the chevy/ ford thing yall do know that is a fight for second place right cause dodge is the best
rico86

Post by rico86 »

deleon23 wrote:
:clap:

Dodge???? What is this dodge that you speak of?
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Not to put down the Native Slayer 14, but I like access to the hull of a kayak for several reasons. One of them is to place more stuff protected when you turtle/flip, extra paddle and anchor, for camping gear and supplies to remain secure and dry, etc... Also, to put the FF and battery inside.

I know you can have dry bags and all and probably there is a lid for that front hatch, but all that gear will be more secure inside the hull IMO.
AcousticTennis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AcousticTennis »

IMO slayer is like a cuda without the storage...i paddle a cuda so it might be biased but i keep my cuda for a reason...great kayak...like they said try them out...
90droptop

Post by 90droptop »

I intends on renting both yaks for a weekend, but the thing steering me towards the cuda is the illuminati option a glow in the dark yak would be killer.
the thing steering me to the slayer is the simplicity and openess of the whole set up

if anyone is up for renting one for a weekend and i can rent the other we could do a trip to conroe or galveston to try them out and paddle both
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

mpg2yahoo wrote:Not to put down the Native Slayer 14, but I like access to the hull of a kayak for several reasons.
I have a Cuda and store a ton of stuff in my center hatch. I bought the tub insert and keep mosquito spray, sun screen, soft plastics binder, tackle tray with jig heads, scissors, knife, wallet, cell phone, and the list goes on and on. I also keep my ruler tucked under the straps that hold the lid on. I can't think of much use for an open cockpit area but not everyone is like me of course. I've never paddled a slayer but they look very similar. I doubt one will be way better than the other. My .02 cents says you'll be happy either way.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360873843.439359.jpg
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

The only reason I carry a milk crate is for my camera really. Everything else can go in the hatch except for my net.
osochuck
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by osochuck »

The only wise choice, get both, one a 14 the other a12.

One concern would be btb, I don't know if slayer woud drain fast enough, not problem on cuda.

The"lawnchair" seats are very comfy, I can sit in my ultimate for a long time, no numb legs or butt
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by RedWolf »

90droptop wrote: but the thing steering me towards the cuda is the illuminati option a glow in the dark yak would be killer.
Keep in mind, the Illuminati is considered a "custom color" and pulls a $2-300 upcharge on the price of the yak. Rumor has it that it could be raised soon due to an increase in the cost of the plastic used to make it glow.
90droptop

Post by 90droptop »

Cost is not the issue I'm selling a few of my fancy offroad truck parts and tax return coming in soon,
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by RedWolf »

FTU has the Illuminatis in stock.
90droptop

Post by 90droptop »

So after sitting in my manta ray all day and fiddling with rods tackle and attempting to stand I've decided that the cuda seems to have some better options, rod stagers, tackle stagers, and the stand assist handle and the tip protectors ( I delt with tackle getting stuck in brush all day)
whatwake
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by whatwake »

Personally I think you should go with a Pelican Castaway :lol: I know where you can get one cheap!
Mojo227

Post by Mojo227 »

Interested in seeing how the Slayer drains. It has huge scuppers so it should drain pretty quick.
Do It
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Do It »

I was at T&G the other day and saw the slayer 14 for the first time, that's a big boat. I think the biggest draw back on that boat is I don't believe they give you the option of a rudder on the slayer.
D.
DucksUnlimitedkayaker

Post by DucksUnlimitedkayaker »

Do It wrote:I was at T&G the other day and saw the slayer 14 for the first time, that's a big boat. I think the biggest draw back on that boat is I don't believe they give you the option of a rudder on the slayer.
D.

I hear the rudder option is coming in a few months. I personally would take a look at the Diablo Adios. I know its a bit shorter than what you are looking at but it is def. the most stable kayak on the market imo. I test paddled both the jackson and native and felt like I was going to fall out when I tried to stand up (6ft tall 225 lbs). I just saw the diablo cooler deck that recently came out at the SA boat show and that thing looks sweet for the flats.
javajaws

Post by javajaws »

Looks like the slayer rudder is out now...

http://www.nativeownersgroup.com/showth ... dder/page2