Cooler to transport quartered deer

fishchase

Cooler to transport quartered deer

Post by fishchase »

How big of a cooler do I need to transport an average sized deer quartered?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Cooler to transport quartered deer

Post by Mythman »

Probably, a 100 qt.
The Eradicator
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by The Eradicator »

I have an ice cube 60 quart and it will hold an average deer easy. I process mine in camp and the law can go to hell. I can put probably 3 average deer in there that way.
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Be a bit more specific. If you mean a container to put quarters in and transport from A to B in a couple hours doesn't even need to be a cooler. If you are going to pack and ice down for 2-3 days consider 100-120 quart. You want as much room as possible for a good supply of ice. The ice will actually form a hard solid plate over your venison keeping the meat well chilled. Try to avoid busting the layer until you are ready to start processing.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Think BIG! :D

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I hunt within a few hours of the house and use a 48 quart icechest. I put 20lb of ice on the meat and it sits until the next day when I can begin processing. There's room for quarters, backstraps and tenderloins for normal sized deer. If your deer field dress at around 200lbs you might want the larger ice chest.
davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

I take two 48 quart Rubbermaids and have fit three quartered deer between them, along with almost 20 lbs of ice per cooler. If its over 60 degrees I have to put 10 lbs in each cooler per day. If its under 45 degrees the ice will last for about four days. Just be sure to leave the plug open and draining, I prop my coolers at a slight angle so they are sure to drain all liquid off. Having ice melt and wash over meat is OK, having meat sit under water is not.
Troutless
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Troutless »

I have a 48 and a 55 quart ice chest and I put 20 lb bag of ice in them and after skinning them and quarting, I put ice over them and alittle water and a small bottle of vingar. And then drain after 24 hrs and put some more ice and water on them until I can finish proccessing them at home.