Two Drags a Screaming

Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Two Drags a Screaming

Post by Earl »

Hit Texoma at sun up on Sat the 22. As soon as I rounded a small island to view the main lake I saw two things, white caps and white birds. Headed out on the main lake chasing the birds and it was not long before I was presented with two drags a screaming. The first set were healthy fish measuring 24 and 26". I kept those guys then got back into the birds with two more times having both lines go off at the same time. I landed 6 more large fish over the 19" limit. Landed one more smaller fish then headed for the truck with some really nice 2-3 ft breakers coming across the lake with a reach paddle though it was no problem and little surfing every now an then.

We got 2-3 inches of snow here in Plano yesterday and the roads are a bit slick this AM. Guess that will keep me put for the day.

SYOTW,

Earl
Mojo227

Re: Two Drags a Screaming

Post by Mojo227 »

Nice! Sounds like a good way to kick off your holiday. Gotta get up that way myself! :mrgreen:
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Sounds like a song lyric

"4 birds a callin
3 french hens
2 drags a screamin"

WTG amigo
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Looks like I will be up there a lot over the next 4 days. My annual trip down the Colorado River is shut down due to no to low water, 168 cfs in Bastrop this AM. Would rather paddle, fish and camp out on Texoma.

Earl
fishgutz

Post by fishgutz »

Looks like it was worth the trip..Congrats!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Vlaude
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Vlaude »

Earl, I think I passed you today up on the north side of Texoma. We wacked them pretty good, ended up with over 40 and some really healthy fish. The winter pattern is definately on now. Probably going to be back on the 1st. Our better fish were about 9+. Kept about 20 including three nice sandies, all starting to fatten up with eggs. Looks like its going to be a fun wiinter of fishing on Texoma.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Nice to hear from you Wade. Were you with Jim? Were you the guys on the pontoon boat checking jug lines? I am watching this weather to see if I am going up there today or not.

Earl
Vlaude
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Vlaude »

No and no... we were fishing around the 70 bridge. I'm up in Norman, OK with a good rain. I hope to make it out tomorrow. I saw your yak on 70 and said I know who that is... looks like you got some good fish too. Fun place to fish... Good luck if you make it out and be safe. Water was 45 degrees where we were fishing. Cold!
avidfisherman

Post by avidfisherman »

Any suggestions as to how I can catch these bad boys on a fly?
Vlaude
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Vlaude »

Maybe a slow drift on a clouser? Easy to catch on a fly rod, but this time of year/pattern I think would be a bit tough.hit it in the spring would be my suggestion for a fly...
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Yep that was me Wade. I was already off of the water for the day. It was 19 degrees when I launched at 7:20 and a balmy 22 when I got off after 9. I drove up further north after that scouting out new launch sites. The lake needs some water.

Are you living in Norman now?

Earl
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

Great report Earl. I am hoping to get back up this weekend. Post up if you are heading out again.
avidfisherman

Post by avidfisherman »

Thanks Vlaude. Can't wait to grab onto one of these once I get the chance.
Vlaude
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Vlaude »

Avidfisherman not to discourage you from fishing stripers this time of year on the fly. I've never tried on the lake in the winter. Get a warming winter day and shad will go shallow and the stripers have no problem following them. That takes place in winter months on the lake. When it happens I'd think a shad imitation would catch fish. I typically use a fluke or a sassy shad style bait.

What I would do though is hit a river if fly fishing is what you want to do. I'd look at the Sabine, Red or Brazos. River fish will stay active in shallower water this time of year and make them easier to catch on a fly. For example my last yak trip a little over a week ago got this one in about 3' of water. I'm a big proponent of CPR on river striper if they are over 10lbs. Rivers can produce some great striper fishing if not ravaged by the masses for meat hauls.