Hobie PA 12 owners

javadrinker
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Hobie PA 12 owners

Post by javadrinker »

Is anybody getting water inside the hull? I took mine out once and came back and had alot of water in the hull, not so much as to sink or even get close, but enough that you knew there was water in the hull. Brand new PA12, not B2B, and over 2 gal. in the hull when I got back to the launch site after 4-5 hours.
Took this up with the dealer and the water is coming up the rudder and in through the rudder control lines and into the hull. I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this and if there is a fix...YET. I would not think that a new boat would have this design flaw and if one is identified that a fix would be out quickly.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Hobie PA 12 owners

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Contact the dealer who sold the yak to you.... Has to be something covered or that they will know how to fix... Good Luck.
quincyraybon

Post by quincyraybon »

:shock: No.

I bought a PA 14 and have taken it out probably 10-15 times. First or second time taking it out (can't remember) my rudder just fell off about an hour away from the dock. I didn't get water in the hull even then... that's all sealed up tight. If it's a new boat send it back under warranty. I know I would. Those days when I'm out from 10am - 10pm that boat might get enough to sink :P

Not for me.
javadrinker
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by javadrinker »

I've been back to the dealer, and if mine is designed like this, all of them are. I was just wondering if anybody else had seen or experienced this with the PA 12 only.
I have not looked at a 14 to see if it is the same, I do not think that it is, but I have not looked.
quincyraybon

Post by quincyraybon »

javadrinker wrote:I've been back to the dealer, and if mine is designed like this, all of them are.
:shock:

I don't know who told you that, but kayaks are not made to take on water over time. Hobies are definitely not made to take on water. And Hobie Pro Anglers and super definitely not supposed to take on water. If I went on a full day fishing trip my 200$ pelican would be worth more than your 2600$ Hobie. Does that seem right? Thankfully I have a Hobie PA 14 (that doesn't leak). My PA is a:

SOT Kayak (so it doesn't take on water)
Hobie (So I paid a lot for it to go fast and not take on water)
And a Pro Angler (So I paid a hell of a lot for an awesome fishing vessle... that does not take on water)

Call Hobie if your dealer won't help you. Then never go to your dealer again. Post who they are on here so none of us go to them. I would have HATED to take my PA 14 100 miles up to Houston for ACK to say, "Oh yeah... on a $3000+ Hobie PA rudders are supposed to fall off on the first or second trip. You just have to deal with it and buy a new one." Thankfully, my dealer said "Well ...that sucks. We'll fix it right up for you!" They even sent me an ACK T Shirt and a hat... but the shirt was XL and I wear a L :(

Good luck dude. Really... two gallons of water in four hours is a no go. Where ever the leak is it's just going to get bigger. What if you snagged an oyster shell on the hole on accident... man that would suck. Maybe check one of those holes on the back? Do you not have the cap on tight? I've opened mine once just to see if there was water and what those holes did :D Now when I want to check for a leak I just open that middle hatch. There IS water in there some time, but it's because it either splashes in there when the lid is open or I accidentally let an ice cube in there when I fill up the ice chest. Anyway, I say you have a few years before you'll sink the thing :)

Edit** Oh... I read your post again and you said it's coming up through your rudder. There's a big nut in there about an inch and a half long. Only way to get it in or out is put a screw driver on it and beat it with a hammer. It's supposed to be That tight. If yours isn't, they ****** up the plastic when they put it in there. That long nut (and the rudder going in it) is the only way for water to travel "up through the rudder".
There's a metal piece that pokes up into that nut. The part of it that hangs down has two sides for your rudder to go in it and screw on to it. Wiggle that metal piece. Is it loose?
You sure you didn't buy this used?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

My experience, Hobie stands behind their products 100%. That is way too much water to be taking on. Contact a Hobie rep., through the Hobie Forums and get it fixed or replaced!

Good luck!
unobrazojoe

Post by unobrazojoe »

Mythman wrote:My experience, Hobie stands behind their products 100%. That is way too much water to be taking on. Contact a Hobie rep., through the Hobie Forums and get it fixed or replaced!

Good luck!
x2. i bought 1 of the early revos and had 2 hulls crack in the mirage drive seat. hobie sent new hulls out immediately just on my word.

hobie WILL take care of you.

good company.

call them.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

I have a Hobie 14ft and fish out at least once a week for the past year with no water issues. Hobie has always stand behind there yaks.
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

The ONLY time I have ever gotten water in the hull of my PA was when I accidentally left out the rear drain plugs, and even then after 4 hours on the water I think I only had about 5 gals of water in it. If it's leaking, take it back and make them warranty it out.
javadrinker
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by javadrinker »

I did buy this new, and now you are getting the gest of the problem. The nut is tight as is the metal piece. Othe top of the hull is the rudder access, if you open that you are looking at where the rudder control string/cables come in and attach to the rudder from the handle and look down through that nut. Water comes up through there and then travels down the control strings/cables. Where the cables come into that access area on either side are LARGE holes.
I am pretty sure that every PA12 has the same issue and designed the same way.
I have filled up the hull with water, emptied it out and dried it well, then closed all hatches and gotten after it with a hose really trying to get water through the hatches, no go. Not even the tub that fits in the front hatch had water in it. BUT get under the rudder and squirt water up and there you go, water in the hull and the dealer is the one that found this and even videoed it on his phone.
I'm not the smallest fellow, and I also use the boat/kayak as a ferry, get to where I want to fish and the get out/off and wade. I mostly tow the kayak behind me as leave it anchored, so I am only on the thing getting from here to there and back.
quincyraybon wrote:
javadrinker wrote:I've been back to the dealer, and if mine is designed like this, all of them are.
:shock:

I don't know who told you that, but kayaks are not made to take on water over time. Hobies are definitely not made to take on water. And Hobie Pro Anglers and super definitely not supposed to take on water. If I went on a full day fishing trip my 200$ pelican would be worth more than your 2600$ Hobie. Does that seem right? Thankfully I have a Hobie PA 14 (that doesn't leak). My PA is a:

SOT Kayak (so it doesn't take on water)
Hobie (So I paid a lot for it to go fast and not take on water)
And a Pro Angler (So I paid a hell of a lot for an awesome fishing vessle... that does not take on water)

Call Hobie if your dealer won't help you. Then never go to your dealer again. Post who they are on here so none of us go to them. I would have HATED to take my PA 14 100 miles up to Houston for ACK to say, "Oh yeah... on a $3000+ Hobie PA rudders are supposed to fall off on the first or second trip. You just have to deal with it and buy a new one." Thankfully, my dealer said "Well ...that sucks. We'll fix it right up for you!" They even sent me an ACK T Shirt and a hat... but the shirt was XL and I wear a L :(

Good luck dude. Really... two gallons of water in four hours is a no go. Where ever the leak is it's just going to get bigger. What if you snagged an oyster shell on the hole on accident... man that would suck. Maybe check one of those holes on the back? Do you not have the cap on tight? I've opened mine once just to see if there was water and what those holes did :D Now when I want to check for a leak I just open that middle hatch. There IS water in there some time, but it's because it either splashes in there when the lid is open or I accidentally let an ice cube in there when I fill up the ice chest. Anyway, I say you have a few years before you'll sink the thing :)

Edit** Oh... I read your post again and you said it's coming up through your rudder. There's a big nut in there about an inch and a half long. Only way to get it in or out is put a screw driver on it and beat it with a hammer. It's supposed to be That tight. If yours isn't, they ****** up the plastic when they put it in there. That long nut (and the rudder going in it) is the only way for water to travel "up through the rudder".
There's a metal piece that pokes up into that nut. The part of it that hangs down has two sides for your rudder to go in it and screw on to it. Wiggle that metal piece. Is it loose?
You sure you didn't buy this used?
quincyraybon

Post by quincyraybon »

Yeah, you spent too much money to let this slide. I stand by what I said. Call Hobie if your dealer won't help. Your weight is not the issue. I take mine fishing with another guy on the back some times (sitting on an ice chest). We do fine.. and there's no water. Like I said, down by your rudder everything should be super tight. If not, someone ****ed it up. Call Hobie!!! Please! I hate to see a PA go to waste!
javadrinker
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by javadrinker »

in pic 2 the water comes in the rudder stow line hole and in pic 4 runs down the rudder control lines and into the hull.
Attachments
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
Last edited by javadrinker on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quincyraybon

Post by quincyraybon »

Ahhh... I'll check at lunch and see how mine is. I just took it out twice this weekend. Saturday for ~ 6 hours and Sunday for ~ 2 hours. I've tried draining the yak, but nothing comes out so I've never drained it. As much as I go fishing if my yak were like yours I would be sunk. I'll post something after lunch, maybe some pictures of mine.
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

Hobie service is the best; they will stand behind their product and take care of you. If your dealer doesn't handle this, you have an incompetent dealer.

As far as the water, kayaks and Hobies especially are not made to take on water. If your's is doing so you have a leak somewhere or very possibly a crack. If that is the case with a Hobie, the general outcome is you get a new kayak. The Hobie brand is solid and reliable; you need a reliable dealer though.

If you can't get relief through your dealer, go here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewforu ... 57df54d804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and post a question to Matt Miller. He is the Hobie Parts and Accessories Sales and Marketing manager or something to that effect. He handles problems.

Here is Matt's profile link: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/memberli ... 57df54d804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know him personally, but he has helped many of us over the years. Explain the problem and see what he says.

Ray
javadrinker
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by javadrinker »

Harold Ray wrote:Hobie service is the best; they will stand behind their product and take care of you. If your dealer doesn't handle this, you have an incompetent dealer.

As far as the water, kayaks and Hobies especially are not made to take on water. If your's is doing so you have a leak somewhere or very possibly a crack. If that is the case with a Hobie, the general outcome is you get a new kayak. The Hobie brand is solid and reliable; you need a reliable dealer though.

If you can't get relief through your dealer, go here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewforu ... 57df54d804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and post a question to Matt Miller. He is the Hobie Parts and Accessories Sales and Marketing manager or something to that effect. He handles problems.

Here is Matt's profile link: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/memberli ... 57df54d804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know him personally, but he has helped many of us over the years. Explain the problem and see what he says.

Ray
Thanks, Harold. I'll certainly give him a pm.