Favorite Rods with good action for working lures

HawgLife
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Favorite Rods with good action for working lures

Post by HawgLife »

Hey I am looking into buying a decent rod for Christmas that is ideal for working plastics for trout or reds. I like something with good action for working lures, but also strong enough to fight a decent sized fish. I am looking in the $50-$100 range. Does anyone have any advice on what kind of action or specific rod I should be looking at?
Bad Luck Guy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Favorite Rods with good action for working lures

Post by Bad Luck Guy »

PearlandSharkFisher wrote:Hey I am looking into buying a decent rod for Christmas that is ideal for working plastics for trout or reds. I like something with good action for working lures, but also strong enough to fight a decent sized fish. I am looking in the $50-$100 range. Does anyone have any advice on what kind of action or specific rod I should be looking at?
Ask a saltwater fisherman and they'll tell you a 7' ML is all you need. Ask a bass fisherman and they'll tell you need a different rod for each lure. I am the multiple rod owner that has a tool for each job. If I had to have only one rod to perform all duties, it would be 6'6 (marsh) or 7' (open water) M power rod.

I hear Academy has their Allstars on sale for under $10 now that are normally $50. Pick up a few different actions and lengths. Get a 7'6 ML rod for trout (open water), 7' MH for flounder (around bulkheads/dropoffs/rocks) , 6'6 M for reds (marsh). You should be covered. Shimano Sienna reels are only $29 and work fine for anything. You'll end up buying nicer stuff later if you have the sickness.
Sisco Kid

Post by Sisco Kid »

Bad Luck Guy wrote:
PearlandSharkFisher wrote:Hey I am looking into buying a decent rod for Christmas that is ideal for working plastics for trout or reds. I like something with good action for working lures, but also strong enough to fight a decent sized fish. I am looking in the $50-$100 range. Does anyone have any advice on what kind of action or specific rod I should be looking at?
Ask a saltwater fisherman and they'll tell you a 7' ML is all you need. Ask a bass fisherman and they'll tell you need a different rod for each lure. I am the multiple rod owner that has a tool for each job. If I had to have only one rod to perform all duties, it would be 6'6 (marsh) or 7' (open water) M power rod.

I hear Academy has their Allstars on sale for under $10 now that are normally $50. Pick up a few different actions and lengths. Get a 7'6 ML rod for trout (open water), 7' MH for flounder (around bulkheads/dropoffs/rocks) , 6'6 M for reds (marsh). You should be covered. Shimano Sienna reels are only $29 and work fine for anything. You'll end up buying nicer stuff later if you have the sickness.
x2
HawgLife
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by HawgLife »

Bad Luck Guy wrote:

Great info, Thanks!
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

Havent liked allstar since shakespear bought them about 10 years ago. Their quality and longevity went into the toilet. I do still fish a couple allstar rods that i bought before they were bought out. Bought several after that and imho they were junk. All broke in less than 6 months including 2 that broke at or close to the reel seat! Shoddy construction! There is a reason they went from $100+ to $50 and now to $10!

I have had a few academy brand cheapo's that held up pretty good but were just average on action and feel.

If you are looking at a good quality rod for a decent price, check out the Falcon Coastal line. I picked up a 7' med action with a split handle and micro guides for about $130 several years ago and love it! Since then, ive started building my own. Probably cost a little more in components, but i know its built right and i can build exactly what i want rather than searching store after store. There is alot more to rod construction than just slapping a handle and guides to a piece of graphite! Thats why there is such a difference in price between rods!
OneFishTwoFish

Post by OneFishTwoFish »

FishingSETX wrote:Havent liked allstar since shakespear bought them about 10 years ago. Their quality and longevity went into the toilet. I do still fish a couple allstar rods that i bought before they were bought out. Bought several after that and imho they were junk. All broke in less than 6 months including 2 that broke at or close to the reel seat! Shoddy construction! There is a reason they went from $100+ to $50 and now to $10!

I have had a few academy brand cheapo's that held up pretty good but were just average on action and feel.

If you are looking at a good quality rod for a decent price, check out the Falcon Coastal line. I picked up a 7' med action with a split handle and micro guides for about $130 several years ago and love it! Since then, ive started building my own. Probably cost a little more in components, but i know its built right and i can build exactly what i want rather than searching store after store. There is alot more to rod construction than just slapping a handle and guides to a piece of graphite! Thats why there is such a difference in price between rods!

FALCON COASTAL's 7' Redfish Tamers are $29.99 at academy right now
HawgLife
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by HawgLife »

Thanks y'all! I got me some buying to do now!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Med - med light 1/-16th to 1/2 oz with a fast tip is what you are looking for..

Woodee rods Pro Series is a good choice in that line up.
HawgLife
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by HawgLife »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Med - med light 1/-16th to 1/2 oz with a fast tip is what you are looking for..

Woodee rods Pro Series is a good choice in that line up.
Thanks Tobin, BTW about to start watching those videos, can not wait, watched the first 30 of the red one and there is some good information already!