Bull Reds on the Fly

JPChavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Bull Reds on the Fly

Post by JPChavez »

I made a trip out east last weekend to do some big fish hunting. We fished for three days. The first day was a little slow. We couldn't find the right water and the cloud cover made fishing tough. The second day was a banner day. In between series of clouds we got small periods of sunshine. The sun lit up the fish like pumpkins floating in shallow water; it was easy pickings. The last day the conditions were prefect: bluebird skies and light winds. We fished until lunch and we landed several more fish each. The fishing was incredible. Almost all of our fish were over 35" and we had at least 10 fish over 40". I think I'm ruined. Sight casting to slot reds will never be the same. Next goal is to catch one of these beast on the fly from the kayak.

Here's a couple of photos of my largest two fish from the trip. Both fish pushed over 40"...

Before I get any stones thrown my way I know this is a PB report. I couldn't help but brag a little.
quincyraybon

Re: Bull Reds on the Fly

Post by quincyraybon »

I'm just curious. How old you think those fish are?
WlongTX

Post by WlongTX »

WOW! That is awesome. I can't imagine the thrill of bringing in a big boys like those on a fly rod. What set up were you using!?
JPChavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by JPChavez »

quincyraybon wrote:I'm just curious. How old you think those fish are?
I'm no marine biologist but if I had to guess I would say at least 8-10 years old.
WlongTX wrote:WOW! That is awesome. I can't imagine the thrill of bringing in a big boys like those on a fly rod. What set up were you using!?
I mostly used a 8wt Orvis Helios and a Ross Momentum. I also used my buddy's 8wt BVK he paired with a Ross CLA. We even caught some of these big reds on a 6wt.
FlyingCuda

Post by FlyingCuda »

Wow! Nice fish. And OTF, to boot. Well done.. :clap:
Wildman

Post by Wildman »

Hell Yeah!!!! Awesome
RHYAK

Post by RHYAK »

Awesome Fish, Those look likes pigs and would be a blast from a kayak.

RHYAK
Ryan
Absolut

Post by Absolut »

Awesome! I'm going to be over there next week...I'm just hoping to see one.
Copperspoonfly

Post by Copperspoonfly »

Awesome pictures!Were you fishing in Texas or Lousianna? I have never seen bull reds so close to a shoreline around here.
JPChavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by JPChavez »

Copperspoonfly wrote:Awesome pictures!Were you fishing in Texas or Lousianna? I have never seen bull reds so close to a shoreline around here.
I was in Louisiana.
Copperspoonfly

Post by Copperspoonfly »

Do you have any recommendations on guides or places to stay? I am trying to plan a trip to New Orleans in a few months.
ROBDAWG

Post by ROBDAWG »

JPChavez wrote:
Copperspoonfly wrote:Awesome pictures!Were you fishing in Texas or Lousianna? I have never seen bull reds so close to a shoreline around here.
I was in Louisiana.
Awesome JP. So much for potlicking your spot..... :D
Absolut

Post by Absolut »

Copperspoonfly wrote:Do you have any recommendations on guides or places to stay? I am trying to plan a trip to New Orleans in a few months.
Check out Greg Dini - http://www.flywaterexpeditions.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
JPChavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by JPChavez »

Absolut wrote:
Copperspoonfly wrote:Do you have any recommendations on guides or places to stay? I am trying to plan a trip to New Orleans in a few months.
Check out Greg Dini - http://www.flywaterexpeditions.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
X2. I have no experience with any of the guides over there but if I were going to book a guided trip I would fish with Greg. I've heard great things about him. We ran into Rocky Thickstun - http://saltyflyexpeditions.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; when we were there last year and he seemed like a stand up guy too.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

those are some awesome fish - i have been lucky to catch on bull red that weighed 29 pounds - i was fishing with Capt. Billy Trimble out of Port Aransas.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

i just had to look at those pics again. Those are two awesome bulls. Its been almost 4 years since i've been in the salt. man I need a break