One technique I found out to prevent TURTLING

flykool25

One technique I found out to prevent TURTLING

Post by flykool25 »

Maybe all you experienced BTB folks already know this. This might help the newbies if I can translate my actions into words here. Anyway the other day I was paddling back in and almost came very close to turtling. I was at high island and the wind was a south wind. I was paddling north to get back to shore. Winds were atleast 15 mph. I always try and stay perpendicular with the kayak in relation to the waves . I also let the waves carry me in and only focus on preventing turtling once I get inside the breakers. As I was riding one of the big waves back in my kayak started turning to the right. I immediately put my left side of paddle in the water on the left side of my kayak . All off a sudden my kayak straightened out . The paddle was acting like a brake. So the trick is to put the paddle in the opposite side until the nose of your kayak is straight. If the waves turn your kayak right, put your left side of the paddle down in the water to get it back to the center or vice versa. Since then I have used this method and it has worked for me everytime so far. I am sure there will be a wave that will kick my arse and show me who is boss. Hopefully this method might help you reduce your future turtlings. I hope I have explained this , or atleast I have tried. Just my 2cents. If anyone has more techniques please feel free to post. see yall out there and be safe.
cliftonio

Re: One technique I found out to prevent TURTLING

Post by cliftonio »

TURTLING, it makes you stronger

LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

flykool25 wrote:Maybe all you experienced BTB folks already know this. This might help the newbies if I can translate my actions into words here. Anyway the other day I was paddling back in and almost came very close to turtling. I was at high island and the wind was a south wind. I was paddling north to get back to shore. Winds were atleast 15 mph. I always try and stay perpendicular with the kayak in relation to the waves . I also let the waves carry me in and only focus on preventing turtling once I get inside the breakers. As I was riding one of the big waves back in my kayak started turning to the right. I immediately put my left side of paddle in the water on the left side of my kayak . All off a sudden my kayak straightened out . The paddle was acting like a brake. So the trick is to put the paddle in the opposite side until the nose of your kayak is straight. If the waves turn your kayak right, put your left side of the paddle down in the water to get it back to the center or vice versa. Since then I have used this method and it has worked for me everytime so far. I am sure there will be a wave that will kick my arse and show me who is boss. Hopefully this method might help you reduce your future turtlings. I hope I have explained this , or atleast I have tried. Just my 2cents. If anyone has more techniques please feel free to post. see yall out there and be safe.

You are exactly right, it does work well.....but not everytime :roll:
SharkBait >*)\\\><(
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by SharkBait >*)\\\><( »

sometimes you can not dig hard enough to stay strait..when this happens i paddle like a mad man..every yak is different too some nose plow some turn side ways when riding waves..
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

SharkBait >*)\\><( wrote:sometimes you can not dig hard enough to stay strait..when this happens i paddle like a mad man..every yak is different too some nose plow some turn side ways when riding waves..
I agree with Sharkbait, get the hell out of the surf zone as soon as possible, coming and going!
AlanC
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AlanC »

SharkBait >*)\\><( wrote:sometimes you can not dig hard enough to stay strait..when this happens i paddle like a mad man..every yak is different too some nose plow some turn side ways when riding waves..

I like to stay out till a nice rounded wave comes in. When that happens I like to get on top of it and run down the face of it to build speed. I paddle as strong as I can whilst leaning back (to help lessen the nose dive if it happens). Unlike most though I use my rudder coming in to help me stay straight in to the waves in addition to the double paddle stroke technique on the weak side. I do not like to slow my progress for anything, that can get you in trouble if you dally in the surf. If and when the rudder gets caught by a faster wave and the back end starts to go around I just kick the rudder opposite to straighten back out. The rudder just kicks up when I hit the bar. Most people think that rudder use will get you in the end but I have found that it can save you from the terrible turtle/surf distribution of you most favored gear. :mrgreen:
AcousticTennis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AcousticTennis »

Here is a better way! Use a drift sock! cant say it enough...use a drift sock use a drift sock use a drift sock!
seadoochamp

Post by seadoochamp »

Smart idea on the drift sock, slows you down but keeps your back straight. Someone told me paddle in backwards to prevent turtlling but have not tried it.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Digging the paddle into the water on the side my stern is sliding always worked for me with my X-Factor.

Not so with my Pro Angler, it is just to big and heavy to respond properly so I have become an expert of using the "Paris Hilton" method of getting to the sand. :oops:
toefu

Post by toefu »

i follow these 2 rules.

never go out on 3-4 seas
and always use the break and paddle technique as listed above.

I haven't turtled in years following the above 2 rules on my perception search.
sheriff_john

Post by sheriff_john »

I do a couple things.
First I shift as much weight to the back of the yak (anchor, coolers, tacklebox etc) so the nose will stay up.
Second I try to never surf the waves in the breaker area, I back paddle and allow the waves to pass by.
I too use the paddle on the opposite side to straighten the nose and if I get too twisted I lean hard into the wave with my paddle buried into the wave.
rod dawg
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by rod dawg »

I use to do the above methods when I had my drifter. Worked most of the time. When I switched over to the t140, the "using the paddle as a brake method", worked with waves that had minimal energy. Waves with a lot of energy almost always wanted to catapult me. I usually ride along the face of the wave using the brace method if I feel the waves are more or less "Hawaii five-0" style.

There's a cronie saying that goes like this, "if you haven't turtled, then you don't fish as much!" :twisted:
sirensjohn

Post by sirensjohn »

Not so with my Pro Angler, it is just to big and heavy to respond properly so I have become an expert of using the "Paris Hilton" method of getting to the sand

Paris Hilton meathod?
upnorthtex

Post by upnorthtex »

Can someone explain" Paris Hilton method" to someone Who is wanting to try BTB, thanx , Art
heyimtrying

Post by heyimtrying »

The Paris Hilton Method is a method of turning your yak backwards so that entry is easier. I personally havent taken my 160 to the beach "yet", pretty new to this, but I am told a wave will lift your bow high, then plunge down and some have been catepulted out :shock: ..backwards seems to be the way to go if the waves are a killer.

But as I said, I havent been to the beach in mine to even try it.
eightweight

Post by eightweight »

Nice thread, thanks. I could use the advice.
BluPhi-Yak

Post by BluPhi-Yak »

Thanks for the info, if you have a PA this helps out alot.
kneekap

Post by kneekap »

You just can't paddle faster than the breaking waves; but you can put
the brakes on. That has worked for me also. Haven't tried a drift sock.
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

If its my MR 12 I jut got for it. If I get sideways, brace works 90% of he time

In my Adventure I use "the Snookie" method ( a tribute to the Paris Hilton). I peddle in slow until I am in waste deep water then hop out on the offshore side, the walk it in from the stern. This also allow me to remove the mirage drive and raise the rudder before beaching.

Works great, especially on crowded beaches when you want to make a good impression when beaching ( most people expect those weirdo yakers to "yard sale" it) :lol: