8/31/12 w/ let's Go/Scott Null

T_Sad

8/31/12 w/ let's Go/Scott Null

Post by T_Sad »

After much deliberation on whether or not to make the trip due to high wind forecast and moderate chance of thunderstorms my buddy and I couldn't bear the thought of re-scheduling so we confirmed w/ Scott Wed evening the trip was a go. Scott emailed me the day before and told me due to the conditions it was either going to be a "hero or zero kinda day". Well, luckily it turned out to be the former rather than the latter! We arrived at the launch Thursday morning to find surprisingly calm winds and mostly clear skies. Imagine that, the weatherman over-predicted the wind, the day was already looking exceptionally well. We got into the marsh and quickly find some solo bareback reds cruising along the shoreline. They were being a little picky early on but we manage to catch a couple on redfish magic spinner baits. After awhile we arrived at a small marsh lake that had a small drain funneling into it from the still falling tide due to the NW winds caused by Isaac (the marsh was super-low). At this point, it seems every 5 seconds Scott is calling out "12 0'clock, 3 o'clock, 8 o' clock" we were surrounded to say the least. Also, the marsh drain feeding into the lake had turned into some sort of back-exposed, feeding redfish assembly line. We would just watch them 1 by 1 work their way down the drain until they got into casting distance and we would pick them off w/ TTF KFMs.
Here is my buddy Chris with his first ever redfish on his first trip in the marsh (he is surely forever ruined after this trip)
Here is my buddy Chris with his first ever redfish on his first trip in the marsh (he is surely forever ruined after this trip)

After that died down a bit, Scott poled us back into a bayou where he had noticed some schools crushing mullet. This is where the day went from amazing to blow your mind unbelievable. As we start down the bayou we intersect the first wave of schooling reds feeding in a piranha like behavior. Even with our not exactly "deadeye" casting abilities throwing into these schools was a sure catch. Of course With the exception of one school that got to make its way on by us due to our lines getting tangled in the excitement :lol: :lol: . After we landed a couple in the schools, Scott tied me on a hot pink skitterwalk (I would have never thought to throw a topwater in mid-day) and man am I glad he did. the next school that came barreling through I tossed the skitterwalk into the middle of them and a mid/upper slot nailed it. I caught a few more nice slots on the top and my buddy caught several slots, still throwing the KFM. By the end of the day we had caught well above our limit of slot reds and got to see probably over a 100 redfish.

here is a couple more pics from the day
one i caught on the skitterwalk
one i caught on the skitterwalk
Chris with another one
Chris with another one
Scott went above and beyond to make sure we were catching fish and he was happy to share his knowledge on how to target reds. He also does a great job of keeping you entertained throughout the day, all while working his tail off poling you around. Thanks again Scott for a great day on the water and forever spoiling Chris to saltwater fishing......seriously he doesn't stand a chance :wink: :wink:
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Re: 8/31/12 w/ let's Go/Scott Null

Post by pdt818 »

old man t wrote:nice kayak
Mr. Null has been an avid kayaker for a long ass time bro. He just so happens to be a skiff guide as well. May want to keep tongue in cheek next time you make a comment. I for one appreciate posts like this and can pick up all sorts of information that I can relate back to my time in the yak. Kinda judgmental for someone who has only been a member for 2 months or so.

Awesome report Travis! Green with envy brother.

Jerron
old man t

Post by old man t »

sorry if i made you made
Hector

Post by Hector »

Sounds like an awesome time!
Jimmers

Post by Jimmers »

Sweet!!!! :clap: :clap:
rockin4m

Post by rockin4m »

Awesome fish!!!
T_Sad

Post by T_Sad »

* 8/30/12
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Great report T_Sad, & another happy customer of Capt. Scott's.
The trip Shoffer & I did this month was great fun, too.
Capt. Scott's August discount deal is sweet, but he deserves some business Sept-Dec. when that baywater cools off at least 20-degrees & those redfish really get jiggy with it.
I also endorse what Jerron said... :P
Tight lines,
--Dandy Don
Otto_08

Post by Otto_08 »

Sweet wish I could've made it to the marsh with that super low tide
kardoc

Re: 8/3/12 w/ let's Go/Scott Null

Post by kardoc »

If you already know how to kayak Capt Scott can teach you more on his poling skift than on kayaks. On kayaks everyone is spread out and it is very hard to teach everyone something when you are spread out. I have been on about 4 trips with Capt Scott and learned something new on each one.
bowhunterchris93

Post by bowhunterchris93 »

pdt818 wrote:
old man t wrote:nice kayak
Mr. Null has been an avid kayaker for a long ass time bro. He just so happens to be a skiff guide as well. May want to keep tongue in cheek next time you make a comment. I for one appreciate posts like this and can pick up all sorts of information that I can relate back to my time in the yak. Kinda judgmental for someone who has only been a member for 2 months or so.

Awesome report Travis! Green with envy brother.

Jerron
:clap: :clap: :clap:
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

I know there are a few here on TKF that will just not tolerate a fishing report via BOAT on a KAYAK fishing forum. Some people are just black and white and others can see grey.
I wouldn't waste my time to justify a post. Lots of us on here know how Scott null works via yak or poling skiff. Not a big deal. Scott's articles on Texas Saltwater magazine have just all been out of a yak.
Eddie Mac

Post by Eddie Mac »

I'm just glad to know Captain Null is still guiding here in TX. After his article on his Belize trip, I was afraid he may not come back. I have not had the honor of fishing with him but have thoroughly enjoyed his articles over the past years. After this post, I think I'm gonna have to give him a call and book a knowledge finding session with him. And if my day is half as good as t-sad... I will be posting it here as well. Thanks for the post, great job.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

Alright, thats enough picking on old man T.

Great fishing report! It is amazing how much being out in a poling skiff will teach you about kayaking and what the fish are doing. I love my skiff AND my kayaks :mrgreen:
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Sorry, it's late; I meant to say "Old Man T.". Hopefully, he's sufficiently coddled now.
--Dandy Don
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Eddie Mac wrote:I'm just glad to know Captain Null is still guiding here in TX. After his article on his Belize trip, I was afraid he may not come back. I have not had the honor of fishing with him but have thoroughly enjoyed his articles over the past years. After this post, I think I'm gonna have to give him a call and book a knowledge finding session with him. And if my day is half as good as t-sad... I will be posting it here as well. Thanks for the post, great job.
Eddie - book him. Don't wait - don't hesitate. You will absolutely not regret it. In fact, Scott notes that the best fishing back in the marsh will be starting in about 2 weeks (he said 2-3 weeks when I was on his boat on 8/20), so if you hit it about the first of October, I suspect that your arms will be spaghetti by the time you finish - from sight casting to hungry reds and pulling them in for photo-ops. With the information that Scott shared with us, you will likely see me back there also!
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Dang, always wanted to know what it was like to roll with a posse. :lol: Appreciate the kind words guys.

I'm not offended in the least by negative posts about my skiff use, I've gotten used to it around here. A lot of folks don't understand that I use the skiff basically as a big ol kayak with a motor. I fish in the same manner whether on the skiff or in the kayak. If there were more public access to the areas I love to fish I'd likely do more kayak trips. One of the things I like about guiding kayakers from the skiff is being able to more easily teach them how I go about locating and catching fish in the marsh. Folks also get to see how to approach feeding fish and I can give advice on when/where to cast. Things learned on the skiff are easily transfered to your future kayak fishing.

I'm just happy making customers happy, haters gonna hate.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Oh yeah....I also like the view from my poling platform/office.

Yesterday
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

let's go wrote:Oh yeah....I also like the view from my poling platform/office.

Yesterday
This is what you will see from Scott's boat. I don't care if you are in a skiff or a kayak - if a sight like that does not get your heart pounding, then you should take up knitting.
Drmsfish

Post by Drmsfish »

Amazing photos Scott!!!! Thanks for sharing. However, for a second there I thought I had clicked on 2 cool or some other trash-talking site. Give Old Man T a little slack as he did apologize. TKF has always been way, way above this type of bashing. Glad to see the reds are playing!
Matt