TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

By fishchase
Im looking for suggestions for food to take camping. Im thinking something cheap, easy to store and prepare, and something that will stay with you a while. Not looking for gourmet here, spartan is fine if it meets these criteria.
By texnomad
I eat a lot of bagel and peanut butter sandwiches. Carry a few different types of bagels for variety. Carrots, radishes, celery and other raw edibles for some rabbit food. Sometimes I cook up chicken breasts ahead fo time. Keep them well chilled and they are good for a few days. Sliced hams also work well for me as long as I can chill it.
By Hirsch
Everything bagel with thick slabs of summer sausage or ham and cheddar with a squeeze tube of mustardb kept in a cooler will go far. Dried sausage, dried fruit and nuts last a very long time.
By AlanC
Dole fruit cups- I prefer the mandarin orange in jello. Cliff bars to supplement. A package of brats and a jug of mustard coupled with a pack of tortillas. Easy food that keeps well and keeps you full. :)
By DumpTruck
We found something quick and easy for a float trip or backpacking. They are called "Tortilla Stuffers." It comes in a sealed bag like tuna and stuff. It's already cooked and has everything you need to make a quick decent burrito, except the tortilla of course. One bag is good for 3-4 burritos. You can heat it up if you want, but in the summer we found it to be just fine straight out of the bag and into the tortilla. Comes in a few different flavors too.

Here's a link:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/tips/tipsli ... a-stuffers
By CityByTheSeaCitizen
I premake burritos, and eat them for almost every meal.

Brown sound ground beef or sausage.

I use this package, and cook as instructed:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/ha ... stroganoff

When it is almost done, I add the browned ground beef, a can of chile, and cheese. Then I roll them in tortillas and wrap that in foil.

You can eat them cold, they are easy to cook over a campfire, or usually, I just let them warm in the sun for a few hours on the deck of my yak.

I add jalapenos, onions, and cilantro to spice it up sometimes.

These pack well, are easy, and have very little waste when finished.
By eweberdc
Pre-cooked fajitas from HEB/Wal-Mart!! We've done this our last few trips, and it's great. Just heat them up, slap it on a tortilla, and instant, satisfying dinner. We tend to carry eggs, too, and mix the leftover fajitas into a scrambler the next morning.
By phoenixphishing
Vienna sausages! Yeah they're not great, but they're a tradition in my family for all fishing trips. We normally do alright, so they may bring good luck too.
By larry long shadows
phoenixphishing wrote:Vienna sausages! Yeah they're not great, but they're a tradition in my family for all fishing trips. We normally do alright, so they may bring good luck too.

Thats a good one have not eaten those in along time.. Bean e weenie's were good also cold..
By milret
larry long shadows wrote:
On the Guad wrote:Whataburger on ice in a ziplock bag. Fast and good

and he is not joking ... I saw him eat that nasty thing

I tried that once, put half of one in the frig and tried to eat it the next day. Tasted terrible, fed it to a goat and it gaged.
By bowgarguide
I fixed a rack of ribs yesterday ,I started thinking that would sure be a good easy meal, cook at home then just wrap in tinfoill and throw on the fire to warm them up.
Ron
By Hirsch
I will often pack leftovers like red beans, rice and sausage or venison stew. I keep a few individual meals like that in the freezer.
By On the Guad
larry long shadows wrote:
On the Guad wrote:Whataburger on ice in a ziplock bag. Fast and good

and he is not joking ... I saw him eat that nasty thing

It was delicious :o
By Aggroman
I usually make subs the night before and put them in cooler. Loaded up on the meats and veggies. Bag of chips and a Keystone.

I had a buddy last night post a pic from his camping trip this weekend. They cooked all this up then did some canoe camping with all the leftovers.

Now that's good camp food. :lol:
By Miniblue
Try couscous any flavor you like. Mix in canned tuna or chicken. Cooks quick add boiling water.

Those noodle or rice packs work well also, but cook 7 minutes. Mix in meat as well.

Bill

Kayak and mirage drive is in great shape. Has a fi[…]

Jackson kayak, Bonafide, Trailer

Big rig is sold. Cuda $700 Bonafide $700 Trailer […]

Thanks for that ROLLOVER update, Capt. Shoffer. L[…]

Can of ranch style beans, a bag of Fritos and a pl[…]