My new Pro Angler

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

My new Pro Angler

Post by Mythman »

Most everyone knows that I rolled my Pro Anger in 20+ ft of water off High Island this year!

I had been having some water get in................in fact, I almost lost my yak on a rig trip to Matagorda. I had to pump water out at least 3 times to get back to the beach on that occasion. As soon as I could, I put my yak on saw horses and fill the inside of the hull with as much water, as I dared. and nary a drop on the concrete under the yak. So I figured it must be my 6" hatch in the tank well or the cover on the rudder controls in the back............so I gorilla taped them and went out and fished and very little water was in my yak. I made several trips with very little water in my yak. Then I took the fateful trip to HI and I was taking on lots of water. We had a high wind and waves lapping over the back into the tank well. A couple of times I opened my middle hatch, I thought I heard water pouring into the hull, but I thought to myself, "No Way"!

After I rolled, when I got home, I plugged the scuppers to the tank well and filled it with water............no water in the hull.............so it wasn't the 6" hatch. Next I plugged the four scuppers under the seat and filled that area with water. I thought I heard water gushing in. I opened my middle hatch and by golly there was water gushing in. So I located my leak.

This is an area on the left side of the PA seat, between two trays on the cockpit. This is what it looked like, without me sitting in it...............I am sure my big rear end made it a whole lot bigger! :oops:

I immediately called my dealer, of choice, Austin Canoe and Kayak and took it down and was told it would be a warranty issue. The kayak with the crack was a warranty replacement and the warranty ran until Oct of this year.

I didn't post anything about this as I was just going to let Hobie, through their dealer ACK make good on it. There was some delays due to 4th of July week, when apparently there were few people in the kayak mfg'ing industry working.

Finally I was told by ACK that it would be replaced and they were sending me a new kayak. It arrived a couple of weeks ago and I have been working diligently to get it rigged. Finally got most everything done: eVolve wiring, fish finder wiring, scotty mounts(for fish finder, GPS and rods), anchor trolley, registration lettering and other items.

Here is my my new Pro Angler:

Anchor trolley:

The only difference between this one and the old one is cosmetic..............a new load limit sticker:

And a new design that says it is a 14' and added a penquin:

I want to thank Hobie and Austin Canoe and Kayak for making this transition as smooth as possible. No pressure or public cry of foul by me, Hobie just did the right thing.

Sure is nice dealing with competent, honest, ethical people!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Re: My new Pro Angler

Post by Roofish »

Glad they took care of you MM :D . ACK did the same for me w/WS :D :clap: :clap:
vanjr
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by vanjr »

awesome. and they put your name on it!

PS any idea why it cracked where it did?
MrTexasFreedom

Post by MrTexasFreedom »

Congrats on the replacement, Mike. I look forward to someday fishing with you in our twin pa 14s.

Thanks for including the anchor trolley detail. That's how I'm going to rig mine.

Mtf
SharkBait >*)\\\><(
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by SharkBait >*)\\\><( »

glad ur back in a PA those sharks better watch out 8)
SharkBait >*)\\\><(
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

you need a GoPro Mythman, i want to see some videos of your adventures :)
king of the kings

Post by king of the kings »

wow nice find on the crack and good thing you had a way to get the water out.
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

That looks great. When I read your post earlier, I was pretty sure there was a crack somewhere. In 2005 or 2006, somewhere in there, Hobie had a problem with cracks in Outbacks. I had a 2005 but never had a problem; a few friends did, and Hobie replaced everyone without a question, even after the warranty went out on some, or at least it was a couple or more years later. Hobie's got the best warranty and service of any kayak company!!!

Glad things worked out; it'll be a lot more fun not taking on water.

Ray
fishgutz

Post by fishgutz »

Looks great....
Glad it worked out for you!!
x2 on the go pro camera idea
treysdaddy

Post by treysdaddy »

Glad you are Pro Anglin' again! Your pics made me rush out to the garage and give that spot a close look. Hope to see you on the water soon!
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

MrTexasFreedom wrote:Congrats on the replacement, Mike. I look forward to someday fishing with you in our twin pa 14s.
Thanks for including the anchor trolley detail. That's how I'm going to rig mine.
Mtf
That is a new anchor trolley set up for me. Usually I just have one ring and only one of the trolley lines runs through the pad eye................but I think this will keep things more in control in big winds and big waves. However, I will have to unhook from the back and hook to the up front ring to run the trolley up to the bow. We will see how I like it...........I can always go back to the old way. :?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

SharkBait >*)\\><( wrote:you need a GoPro Mythman, i want to see some videos of your adventures :)
I got a playsport and have used it but I just don't like having to edit it and then the time it takes to upload to YouTube.

But I have decided to use it more and just put raw footage on. :wink:
SharkBait >*)\\\><(
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

yep raw footage works just look at my YouTube Channel lol :lol:
i find editing to be too stressful and time consuming
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

vanjr wrote:awesome. and they put your name on it!

I do have an idea.......Hobie places closed cell foam under the decks to help support them. The kayak with the crack was a warranty replacement and one of the first 2011 kayaks off the line and mine didn't have any closed cell foam under the seat area........most have that foam. Perhaps they didn't place some in on the first one's off the line...............I don't know.

I do know I took all the closed foam out of the cracked one and have it stuffed all over the inside of the hull of the new yak. It is supported super well. :D
Earth's End Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Richmond/Katy Area - Hobie Outback/ O Peixão Dourado/ The Big Gold Fish

Post by Earth's End Kayaker »

Wow, well done on the replacement and the fine people at Hobie and ACK for making it happen.
When ya break'n her in MM? Ooops pardon the pun, I mean gettin' her slimed?? :D

Best regards,
EEK
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

Earth's End Kayaker wrote:Wow, well done on the replacement and the fine people at Hobie and ACK for making it happen.

Best regards,
EEK
Well I "broke her in" by catching double digit bull reds and a couple of sharks on her maiden voyage!!!

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... 8&t=183411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is good!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Earth's End Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Richmond/Katy Area - Hobie Outback/ O Peixão Dourado/ The Big Gold Fish

Post by Earth's End Kayaker »

Wow, that day! What a way to break her in!! This kayak has got some serious mojo, and now very high expectations. This is the one thats gonna bring you that TEXAX TARPON..., I can feel it.
:D

Best regards,
EEK

Mythman wrote:
Earth's End Kayaker wrote:Wow, well done on the replacement and the fine people at Hobie and ACK for making it happen.

Best regards,
EEK
Well I "broke her in" by catching double digit bull reds and a couple of sharks on her maiden voyage!!!

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... 8&t=183411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sheriff_john

Post by sheriff_john »

That was a great trip!

A good looking rig.
Plant

Post by Plant »

Mythman wrote:

Best regards,
EEK

Good indeed! Nice new ride. I'm officially envious!
spots

Post by spots »

Awesome man! Looking good
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Glad to hear you were taken care of! We always hear the bad and rarely hear the good, so thanks for posting. When I started reading and you explaining your idea, I have to admit I was going to make that suggestion, but you beat me to it. You guys going through the surf will push those plastic boats to the limits, and the way the plastic flexes, it just eventually gets weak.
Mythman wrote:
vanjr wrote:awesome. and they put your name on it!

I do have an idea.......Hobie places closed cell foam under the decks to help support them. The kayak with the crack was a warranty replacement and one of the first 2011 kayaks off the line and mine didn't have any closed cell foam under the seat area........most have that foam. Perhaps they didn't place some in on the first one's off the line...............I don't know.

I do know I took all the closed foam out of the cracked one and have it stuffed all over the inside of the hull of the new yak. It is supported super well. :D
flykool25

Post by flykool25 »

Hi mike, congrats on your new pro angler. i was looking at the pic. was wondering if you had some kind of foam material in between your carrier and the kayak. if not, during driving the bumps from the road can also probably cause some damage if the kayak is sitting directly on top of the carrier. I am thinking the foam might act like a shock absorber if the kayak is sitting on it. I am not an engineer . just my 2 cents.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

flykool25 wrote:Hi mike, congrats on your new pro angler. i was looking at the pic. was wondering if you had some kind of foam material in between your carrier and the kayak. if not, during driving the bumps from the road can also probably cause some damage if the kayak is sitting directly on top of the carrier. I am thinking the foam might act like a shock absorber if the kayak is sitting on it. I am not an engineer . just my 2 cents.
Yep, two 2x2's running the length of the carrier placed under the strongest part of the hull and covered with pool noodles to cushion the hull. I've pulled many a trailer over the years and a boat can take a beating back there! Good call!
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

Previously I had three extra large pool noodles with PVC pipe down the middle of them for reinforcement that the kayak rested on. However, it did cause a couple of minor oil can depressions on the bottom of the hull.

So this time, I put a queen sized air mattress under it but driving 70 mph, the wind was folding the corners up and the past week I can't keep air in the mattress, over night. So I order some foam exercise pads and they are arriving via Amazon today. I will see how they do.

I stuffed the air mattress under the yak for the pics........but hey guys, thanks for the ideas and concerns.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Nice Mike,
Hopefully you won't have any more problems hobie's going to get tired of giving you new PA's :lol: