A little different Colorado River Trip

Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

A little different Colorado River Trip

Post by Firefly49 »

Colorado River NW of Moab, Utah. Fun paddling, awesome scenery, great camping, fantastic weather.......
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 693.JPG
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 682.JPG
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 719.JPG
Last edited by Firefly49 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Re: A little different Colorado River Trip

Post by Firefly49 »

MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 676.JPG
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 757.JPG
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

WOW looks like a blast great pictures......how cold was the water
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Wow, tell me more. How many days were you on the river, class of water, what did you paddle, put in, take out, distance of total trip.

Beautiful pics. Love river camping. Making a trip to Colorado and NM later this summer for some river running and camping. Always looking for some place new.

Earl
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

You're killing me!!! :horse: I so want to go back! Two years ago we took a day and a half of a family trip to Colorado and went over there. Ended up renting a Jeep (left mine at home :cry: ) and hit a couple of trails. Took my 5yr old daughter whitewater rafting in Durango a couple days before and wanted to do it in Moab too, but It didn't work out. Since then I've been gearing up for my next chance, so we can take Jeep, mountain bikes and kayaks. BUUUT last September we had a new addition to the family so the clock kinda got reset for a while :? Such is life......

Congrats and stay hydrated :!:
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Great pics! :clap:
Gutter Girl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gutter Girl »

Pardon me while I wipe the drool off my face! Great pictures - both of you.

I can just see the wheels in Earl's head turning!

GG
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

BTW that second pic is now my wallpaper at work :clap:
Firefly49

Post by Firefly49 »

Thanks for the PM's and interest in the trip, lol. One said we need someone with an RV, a trailer to haul yaks and do a TKF run out there for a week and I guarantee I'd go back!!

This was part of a very special "Grandma, daughter and 13-yr old grandson" adventure vacation and it was absolutely a blast! We flew to Denver and rented a shiney red jeep to drive to Moab through central Colorado stopping at Glenwood Springs, driving through Colorado Monument Nat'l Park near Grand Junction (gorgeous!!!) and then near Vail, Dillion and Breckenridge on the way back. Wish I'd had more time to spend in that area.

We scheduled most of the activites through http://www.moabadventurecenter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and although we would have liked to include some of the really fun whitewater rafting, time did not allow. We settled on a two-day overnighter on the Colordao River with class I-II rapids. I'd confiscated an inflatable kayak and had great fun other than it didn't track worth a darn when you had a newbie up front, lol..... so the second day I talked one of the guides into letting me have at it on the oarboat carrying supplies. Pretty cool if one doesn't mind paddling backwards most of the time. Personally, I like to see where I'm going .....especially if there's some rapids and rocks!!!!! and rowing one of those big heavy things takes a lot more muscle:lol:

My grandson and I did some horseback riding one day and I'd arranged for a custom ride around the Fisher Tower area. Much better than going in a 20+ group with horses nose-to-tail; plus having a great guide giving her undivided attention and providing us with her knowledge and history of the area (Amazing all the movies that were, and are still being made in that area!!). While doing this, my daughter had rented a mountain bike and explored the Onion Creek area which we all had to go back later to explore further with the jeep and do some creek-jumping.

Dead Horse Point over towards Canyonlands was another gorgeous drive with an interested and sad history (have I used the word gorgeous too much yet???). Wild horses had been driven up to the top and then corralled on the point of this mesa by fencing off the narrow neck leading to it using logs and brush. They were then able to cut out and select the mustangs as needed. Apparently, they inadvertantly left without letting the rest of the herd loose. The horses eventually died of thirst….overlooking the beautiful, cold water of the Colorado River.
Oo-o-o-o! and then came the Hummer Safari!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We drove through an area called "Hell's Revenge". Scaled one of Moab's famous redrock fins on the way and wove in and out of rock canyons, and climbed steep sandstone hills. Awesome adventure.

The highlight of the trip was canyoneering and repelling 90’ into a canyon and 125’ vertical drop off an arch… most of it freefall. Grandson decided this old lady ROCKS!!!!!!! I have to admit I had trepidation of having to back over the edge without being able to see solid ground on the bottom (and wondering how on earth I got trapped into saying I’d DO this :shock: ); but once I gingerly made it down about 20’ and felt secure about braking it was a blast ………..and I was ready for the next one.

Fisher Tower / Onion Creek area
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 334.JPG
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 332.JPG
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 371.JPG
Last edited by Firefly49 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firefly49

Post by Firefly49 »

Dead Horse Point
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 260.JPG
Attachments
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 275.JPG
Firefly49

Post by Firefly49 »

Hell's Revenge
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 548.JPG
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 534.JPG
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 540.JPG
Firefly49

Post by Firefly49 »

Canyoneering
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 237.JPG
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 226.JPG
MOAB, UTAH TRIP - June 2012 214.JPG
On the Guad
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by On the Guad »

Glad you and the grandkids had a great adventure.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Something none of you will forget!!! :D
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

That was the same group that I rented my Jeep from. Would have liked to have spent a week there. Heck my wife was even eyeballing the city wondering how much they might pay teachers there. Hey we can all dream right?
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Boomy wrote:That was the same group that I rented my Jeep from. Would have liked to have spent a week there. Heck my wife was even eyeballing the city wondering how much they might pay teachers there. Hey we can all dream right?
Dreaming is great, it is the waking up to reality that sucks.
Firefly49

Post by Firefly49 »

So true, Milret, lol

I actually gave serious thought to trying to change my plane reservation so I could just let the kid's go on back home without me so I could rent another jeep and stay another week or two. Originally I had planned to drive and spend 3 weeks or so around Utah, Idaho and Colo. That's what I SHOULD have done and simply let them fly out on their own to meet up with me on her week off from work.....sigh. Next year, come hell or high water, it's ferry-hopping to Alaska if I have to do it myself. Travel companions are hard to come by :lol: :lol: :lol:
t100

Post by t100 »

What beautiful land in that region! My wife was asking if we were to take a real vacation, where I'd like to go. I am showing her this!! Great pics and report.
fryemup
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fryemup »

You Rock! :) :)
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Thanks for the post, Firefly, sounds like a really neat trip! Beautiful scenery!

I'd have been a bit of a wimp when it comes to rapids, or dropping off a cliff :).
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

rodloos wrote:Thanks for the post, Firefly, sounds like a really neat trip! Beautiful scenery!

I'd have been a bit of a wimp when it comes to rapids, or dropping off a cliff :).
That is one thing that I can say about Firefly, she knows how to drop off a cliff. :lol:
YotaYaker

Post by YotaYaker »

Great pics and report FF, thanks for sharing!
Firefly49

Post by Firefly49 »

milret wrote:
rodloos wrote:Thanks for the post, Firefly, sounds like a really neat trip! Beautiful scenery!

That is one thing that I can say about Firefly, she knows how to drop off a cliff. :lol:

Shhhhhhhhhhush, Milret. They don't need to know about the broken leg in the Gila Mtns. It wasn't MY fault!!!!!!!!!
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

You really think the broken leg is a secret? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Firefly49

Post by Firefly49 »

Hirsch wrote:You really think the broken leg is a secret? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not anymore. Now if I could just find that pic of the chopper airlifting me out I'm sure there'd be more remarks coming................