Brazos River at Possum Kingdom Dam Trip--Lots a pictures

Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Brazos River at Possum Kingdom Dam Trip--Lots a pictures

Post by Wolfman57 »

Each year I try to take a long trip with my son to go out and kayak and fish. 2 years ago we went on the Brazos and had a blast. This year he invited a friend with his dad to go with us. It was a blast.

Water flow the last time we went was like 130 CFS (cubic feet per second) this time it was 52 CFS. I was a little nervous with the lower water, but it turned out ok. we had like 11 portages but it was not too bad, as they were short portages. We did have to do a little kayak welding to fix some cracks...but the cracks were in old holes.

Great trip, 3 days 20 miles. Here are the pics.

We started off Thursday packing the trailer up with 4 kayaks and hitting the road early.

When I'm driving up through Dallas I always have to make the pilgrimage to In-N-Out! MMMmmmm Animal style

Weather was UGLY on Thursday and we unloaded in a monsoon like rains...but after that they eased up and the weather was IDEAL. Friday and Sat there were blue skys and beautiful nights.
We caught a fair few fish along the way, some whites, large/guadalupe bass, drum, catfish...enough for the group to have a great time
I remember a picture of a boat that had been beached....well it has now been burned too...this is what we saw as we went by....
there were a few more portages than last time, and the water was much more sluggish!
Flowers everywhere
Fillet up the fish and rub them down with some chips....made a nice meal
Water was shallow most of the trip...but cooler than the air and the swims were nice
Did run into some bulls along the way
2 nights camping were awesome
Great trip for us all
Here we are at the take out point....cooling off.
Great trip had by all
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Re: Brazos River at Possum Kingdom Dam Trip--Lots a pictures

Post by larry long shadows »

Your a Good Dad I give you 10 Ataboys on a job well done...Thanks for the post I really love the pic.s I maybe wrong but I think this is the first post I have seen where someone ate the fish they caught.. I love that pic... which fish did you eat?
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Thanks for the report. Looks like it is still a fine trip, if different.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Great trip and report................WTG DAD.................and right before Father's Day! :wink:

Great pics................you must have a new camera! :D
On the Guad
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by On the Guad »

Great write-up and way to go. Thank's for posting up.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

larry long shadows wrote:Your a Good Dad I give you 10 Ataboys on a job well done...Thanks for the post I really love the pic.s I maybe wrong but I think this is the first post I have seen where someone ate the fish they caught.. I love that pic... which fish did you eat?
We released most of them but cooked a white and a drum up. My sons friend and his dad had never fillet a fish and eaten it! Neat to do that with them.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Wolfman57 wrote:
larry long shadows wrote:Your a Good Dad I give you 10 Ataboys on a job well done...Thanks for the post I really love the pic.s I maybe wrong but I think this is the first post I have seen where someone ate the fish they caught.. I love that pic... which fish did you eat?
We released most of them but cooked a white and a drum up. My sons friend and his dad had never fillet a fish and eaten it! Neat to do that with them.
Thats even better always fun to share ..... :clap: :clap: