Personal Best Gar

gfmd33

Personal Best Gar

Post by gfmd33 »

Well, boys I would not go skinnydipping in any of the hill country rivers anymore. I am sure many of you have seen some big gar, but I had never seen a gar so big in a river. I ended up sightcasting and hooking up on a 52 inch shortnose (I think) gar on my 5wt fly rod. It was a heck of a fight and took me about 30 to 40 minutes to get her in and she took me on a heck of a sleighride for most of the fight. I knew it was big, but when I first got it by the side of the kayak I couldn't believe the size of that monster. Of course my waterproof camera is broken and I have not replaced it yet so y'all will just have to take my word for it. Anyway, if you want a serious thrill hook into a big old gar in your kayak and crank down the drag and just hold on.
2FlyFish4

Re: Personal Best Gar

Post by 2FlyFish4 »

sounds like a great fish. that is a really big shortnose gar. it could be a gator gar... not sure. to bad you dont have a pic
Flyfisher87

Post by Flyfisher87 »

I caught a 5'6'' gar on a trot line in high school. to bad my mom accidently threw the camera away :(.
Cudadude

Post by Cudadude »

My son and I was fishing Grapevine and found this on out line..He was small but man look at those teeth.

skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

This is from the San Marcos River. I caught it while wade fishing on a 5wt. Fought it for 45 minutes.
Attachments
Gar Gantuan 4.jpg
Gar Gantuan 3.jpg
Gar-gantuan River Fish 2.JPG
Dageaux1977

Post by Dageaux1977 »

Man, look at that beast! That's Cajun for dinner, Gar Balls!!