How to Make Your Own LED Green Light

FoldCatOne

How to Make Your Own LED Green Light

Post by FoldCatOne »

Was shown today exactly how to make a 60 - 120 LED, high intensity Green Light for about $22.00. As soon as I get one made so I know exactly what to order, I will post a Bill of Materials and the sources for everyone. Its sooooooo easy. I think I can make it about 24 - 48 inches long and in a 3/4 or 1 inch diameter clear PVC tube. A 96 LED light would be about 36 inches long and a 120 LED Light would be about 48 inches long. A 2 foot long light would have about 60 LED's. Those of you in the Austin area are especially lucky as the best source of clear PVC pipe is in your area.
Tombo

Re: How to Make Your Own LED Green Light

Post by Tombo »

I am in.
hammerdawg

Post by hammerdawg »

what kind of battery power are you talking about
bboren
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by bboren »

Figure all the specs. and post it up. I am very interested in doing that but want to keep it portable. I will be checking on the status Good Luck :D
jackinayak

Post by jackinayak »

I have been looking for some clear PVC pipe! Acrylic is $$$$ too high. Can you give us a tip on that Austin connection for clear PVC?
G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

Interesting... You had me at $22.00, hahahaha!!!

G-Man
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

FC1 you da man if you come thru with this. Thanks for thinkg of us.............................Cc
Rotorman
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Rotorman »

Superbrightleds.com get the water proof green in a 3' length for 23 dollars. Done. WAY better than 150 from wildcat
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Just curious. Are the lights going to be above water use or below (submerged) water use? The reason I'm asking, one of my friends made an underwater flounder gigging light and it's hard on my eyes to see a flounder laying on the bottom with the green color. I like a white submerged light for gigging flounder.
jlazcano

Post by jlazcano »

i look forward to this!
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

I don't know how it can be done for for $22.00.

Superbrights SE-WFLS series Waterproof Flexible Light Strips
39 Inch Light Strip (1m) with 60 High Power LEDs. Wide 140 degree beam angle. 12 VDC Operation. Strips can be cut into 3-LED (2in.) segments. LEDs on highly flexible strip encased in flexible Waterproof Silicone. Silicone End Caps and Mounting Brackets available.
$23.95 plus shipping.
I found the clear tube at
http://www.professionalplastics.com/ACR ... E-EXTRUDED" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for 20.00 plus shipping.

Hope FatCatOne has beyyer sources.
GrantH

Post by GrantH »

Do it the easy way. http://wildcatlighting.com/kayak.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can get the light system from Austin Canoe and Kayak in San Marcos. Works great, water proof, runs off a 12v battery fro about 20 hours and is designed to attract baitfish.
FoldCatOne

Post by FoldCatOne »

60 light strip on Ebay waterproof in pvc for about $6.99 w/ free shipping. CLear PVC sched 40 pipe available in Austin for between $2.02 - $5.89 A FOOT DEPENDING ON THE SIZE (1/2 inch to 1 1/4 inch). Regular PVC fittings available at local home center. I'll post my sources and costs and bill of materials as soon as I get the light strip. Should be here before Friday.
jlai92

Post by jlai92 »

man cant wait to see this get finished
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by BigGabe63 »

Any progress or updates??
Mr. Green

Post by Mr. Green »

GrantH wrote:Do it the easy way. http://wildcatlighting.com/kayak.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can get the light system from Austin Canoe and Kayak in San Marcos. Works great, water proof, runs off a 12v battery fro about 20 hours and is designed to attract baitfish.
x2...With the TKF discount my set came out to $109 + tax. May seem steep, but it's a very well made product. As far as the frequency of the lights being tuned to attract fish and penetrate water goes, I really can't say, but they are very bright and very durable. I worked in mobile electronics (car audio) for 10 years and one of our specialties was led lighting. We did some really awesome and creative things with led's. We also tried many many different ones in search of a "good & affordable" product, but when it comes to really any electronic products, you really get what you pay for. We stuck with a great product that was kinda pricey, but we backed it 100% and customers never had issues. The Wildcat kit really impressed me, and I'm confident that it's the last set I'll be installing on my yak. Go the cheap route a few times and you'll easily spend those 100 bucks...
castawaydan

Post by castawaydan »

Just curious if anybody tried making this?
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

I bought a few of these for me and a buddy last year, under $15 each at gander mountain. They work great are submersible and run all night off a small battery. Robert used a dry box for his battery and made a floating platform with innertube to set it in. He can leave it in one spot and come back to the light and fish while it sits in one spot. Academy also sells a similar light
Attachments
IMGP2549_resize.JPG
IMGP2551_resize.JPG
castawaydan

Post by castawaydan »

Thanks Saltykat, I am gonna get some of those instead. I have seen them that they are not that expensive but there is a company that makes some with LEDs and they claim to be brighter and atract more fish with using less battery, but they sell them for like $200.
Matyyaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Matyyaker »

Very ... very.... interesting :)
Off The Hook
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Off The Hook »

by all means post pics some of us like "ME" are not creative or have a clue :oops: if you can post pics of material would be awesome heck do a youtube video of how to make it. hey i'll check youtube maybe someone already thought of it :mrgreen: but yes very very interested in outcome of this :clap: :clap:
c1337j

Post by c1337j »

i used two of these

epoxied onto a pelican box and then a trailer 12v brake battery inside, it barely draws any power and just runs forever. a little more than 22 bucks but then you can just throw it in the water and paddle off and fish back to it
Rescue1

Post by Rescue1 »

i made a couple of these last year. just ordered the stuff to make one more

runs me about $35-40 to make one. runs on 8 AA's and will last about 16 hours. i've used mine quite a bit over the last year and i've never had to change the batteries yet.

rigged it up with a weight on one end of the junction box to keep it pointed down and the other has a length of rope and a float. you can paddle over and drop it off the side of the yak. the paddle away. cast into it. it's all self contained.

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk24 ... 195134.jpg

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk24 ... 221615.jpg

not quite $22 but brighter and more versatile