Mulberry River, Ar

Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Mulberry River, Ar

Post by Earl »

Mulberry River, AR
April 5-8

This was a trip I have been looking forward to as I have never been on the Mulberry River but had heard a lot about it from friends. I arrived at Byrd’s Adventure Center Thursday afternoon. It was a nice cool spring day and everything was green. I was meeting 9 other members of the Dallas Downriver Club for some base camping and day paddling the Mulberrry on Friday and Saturday. There had been some typical spring rains in the days prior and the river at Byrd’s was only about 2.5 on the gage. While not optimum it would have to do. The group usually paddles from Wolfpen put in upstream down to Byrd’s or further down. Reports from the front office said it was expected to be a bit bony.

Of course since we were base camping I brought some significant food. Thursday night I cooked salmon steaks, baked potato, salad, and pineapple. After dinner we sat around the campfire, told stories and watched a beautiful near full moon light up the night sky. All of us looking forward to the next days adventure.

Friday morning and we all got going putting breakfast down and packing up for the day. We decided to put in at Redding and paddle down to Campbell’s Cemetery. This is about a 14-15 mile paddle. The Redding put in is along Hwy 215 about 4 miles downstream from Byrd’s. The Redding campground is quite nice with water, bathroom, and showers. Campbell’s Cemetery is a little drive but not hard to find. You go back to Hwy 23 and south a bit until you come to Shores Lake Rd. Take this dirt road for about 6 miles and you will see a sign for Campbell’s Cemetery.

This section of river is scenic and at the water level we had kind of rocky but passable. At about mile 17 there was downed tree blocking the main river. You could not see it until you were just about to enter the rapid that would seep you down to it. There was no way under or around it. The portage around it would have been through thick brush (Poison Ivy) and over several large downed trees. Also if someone would have gone down it, it and it would have been a sure pin and very difficult to retrieve the boat. We all elected to eat lunch on river right on a nice rocky shoal. The main river ran to the left but there was also a skinny shallow section to the right. After lunch we paddled, drug, scooted, cussed our way through this for about 1/8 of a mile until it met back up with the river. There were multiple class I and II rapids along this section which made for a fun day. We arrived at Campbell’s about 4pm. The take out at Campbell’s is a long rocky ledge on river right, there is also a sign up in the trees. That night we had a brief set of thunderstorms once we were back to camp. I cooked steaks covered with bacon and bleu cheese, baked potatoes, and pineapple.

Saturday we decided to paddle the lower Mulberry from Campbell’s Cemetery to Mill Creek. After discussing the take out with the owner of Byrd’s it turn out we were told that the river right Mill Creek take out was not easily accessible. The river left take out turned out to be a 33 mile drive for 12 miles downriver. This section of river was also very scenic with man class I and II rapids and maybe one class III. The turns and large rocks in the river made this a fairly challenging stretch with a couple of people coming out of their boats. There were several rapids that I elected to wear my helmet. We all finished the day getting off of the river a bit before 5pm and no injuries.

This was an excellent first time on the Mulberry and I know I will be back up there soon with my boys. Here are a few of many pictures.

SYOTW,

Earl

fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Mulberry River, Ar

Post by fishnv »

Looks like a great trip.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Sounds like a great trip and looks like some serious water!!!
DNR

Post by DNR »

That looks like some fun water. Finally time to get wet.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Not sure I could do that water, but man that looks fun. Great pics!
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Aggroman wrote:Not sure I could do that water, but man that looks fun. Great pics!
2x im a class one person but it sure looks like fun
DangerSquirrel

Post by DangerSquirrel »

NICE!!

I'm doing Ozark NF and the Buffalo next month. Finally!!
saffra
Location: San Marcos, TX/Natchez, MS....Runnin' hoes and makin' money

Post by saffra »

What? No omelettes this time around?

Such disappointment, Earl...... :(

Seriously, that looks like a fun trip.....glad y'all had such a great time, and thank you, once again, for an excellent report :D

Jerry
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Oh yea, I had omelettes for breakfast all 3 mornings. If you play in the cold water you got to eat.

Dangersquirrel, what dates are you going to be on the Buffalo. I will be up there May 12-19. I am not sure where we will launch from but if we have water it will be Ozark campground. FYI, the ticks are already out.
SYOTW,
Earl
DangerSquirrel

Post by DangerSquirrel »

I haven't pinned down the exact dates I'll be there. Last week in May is looking best but I'm flexible pending weather/water. I'll start doing raindances here in 2 weeks.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

You know that Memorial Day weekend will be a complete ZOO up there Sometimes is starts the weekend before. If you do plan on Memorial Day weekend you will want to make reservations on a shuttle service if you plan on using one.

Earl
DangerSquirrel

Post by DangerSquirrel »

Yeah, My parents get me Memorial Day. And I usually stay out of places on weekends.
It will happen - It has too.

Are you going up there with your paddling club or family?
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

I will be up there with the club and friends. I may back out as I want to get my boys up there in June once they are out of school, if there is rain.
Earl