Post your trailer!!!!

jackamber
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Post your trailer!!!!

Post by jackamber »

Lots of great ideas on this thread, especially if you are planning to build, design, enhance your trailer! Thanks to all for the wealth of information!

This topic should be a sticky!!!
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

jackamber wrote:Lots of great ideas on this thread, especially if you are planning to build, design, enhance your trailer! Thanks to all for the wealth of information!

This topic should be a sticky!!!

You are right it should be saved and stuck at the top of the forum...put it to a vote on another post.. :)
jeeper50

Post by jeeper50 »

Putting the finishing touches on my latest trailer for me to haul my tarpons around this year... bought an ols scotty camper frame and added a tongue.
Attachments
100_0151.JPG
0122121242.jpg
0210121614.jpg
Last edited by jeeper50 on Wed May 02, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CR
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CR »

I finally got my trailer picked up this weekend. I bought it off craigslist down by Austin and my sis and BIL picked it up and took it to their house in Round Rock.
It's about the same size as the Malone trailers, but much heavier built. It came with one set of "J" racks and I already have two sets. After I get the paint cleaned up and the boats loaded, I'll post more pics.

This is after new paint and a few other things. I have three sets of "J" racks that I can use to haul three boats. I sure like the storage box.

Last edited by CR on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

Not completely finished. I need paint and padding. It has 3 doors of lockable storage and 4 kayak racks
old boat trailer
old boat trailer
DIY trailer7.jpg
Rollin

Post by Rollin »

I had been looking to change my trailer for hauling Yaks. Up till August I had been using my 16’ double axle flatbed work trailer. It’s not a real big trailer but way more than I need to haul two Yaks. Recently on Craigslist I found a boat trailer in Kansas City. It was big enough and had 15” tires and at $200 the price was right. One Friday morning we were nearing completion on a project and ran out of material, so I decided to hit a few licks on the trailer. We got a lot done and then over the weekend I was able to get enough done on it to make it road worthy.

I wanted to reach the point where all I have to do to go fishing is, hookup my trailer already loaded with the yaks and gear. Grab a few snacks and roll.

Rollin

Post by Rollin »

Cudadude

Post by Cudadude »

I picked this up off a guy about a year ago, its been a great trailer, A very light setup and has been great to have.

lptxguy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lptxguy »

My Pro Angler & Ultra 4.7 combo.
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
Mojo227

Post by Mojo227 »

My trailer is always a work in progress. Always changing something on it.
100_0024.JPG
100_0023.JPG
BigDozer66

Post by BigDozer66 »

MrStinkyPickle wrote:hey guys, couldn't help but notice that a ton of people have used Unistrut channel and brackets on rigging out their trailers. Please let me know if any of ya'll are thinking about any channel or fittings from their line. I work for a construction supply company and we are a huge stocking distributor for their entire line. We are north of downtown just outisde 610 loop. I have been in Home Depot and seen what they charge for the strut. Don't buy from them unless you have to, I would be more than happy to use my employee discount on anything in their product line for any fellow yakers. Check out their webpage http://www.unistrut.us/ and give me a pm or call our office (and yes you can even ask for StinkyPickle and they will send you to me)713-692-2323 not trying to plug our business, we just stock a large selection of their material and the brackets to go with it. I am fixing to be modding a trailer with a buddy and we are looking at using the "TeleStrut" system. I'll get some before and after pics up. Here is just an idea of the price difference, hope this is ok with the moderators just these days any extra cash can go for gas! :roll:

1 5/8" 12gauge Half Slot strut -
Home Depot - 1.79ft
MrStinkyPickle - TKF brother in law special - 1.07
Very nice of you! :D

The TeleStrut looks like a great material to use for this purpose.

BigDozer66
frankie14

Post by frankie14 »

ISO Kayak trailer help:

I have 17' of available space in by garage, and I have a Tarpon 140 and a Cobra Maurader XF. I want a trailer for them, and I wanted y'alls help in figuring out a setup that would work.

How can I fit a 14' kayak on top of a trailer and make that fit in my 17' of garage? Wouldn't the trailor HAVE to have an adjustable tongue? I don't want a fold up trailer because that defeats my purpose for having one all together... ie. I want to have a fully loaded trailor inside my closed garage, and hook up to it in the a.m. and hit the road!

Thanks
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I'm still working on this one but she started out as a Jon Boat trailer last summer.
Attachments
IMG_1404.JPG
GOPR0456.JPG
GOPR0461.JPG
dhays

Post by dhays »

Here is my new canoe/kayak trailer build.
Attachments
Loaded and ready
Loaded and ready
Painted and padded.
Painted and padded.
Frame welded.
Frame welded.
Sam Stephens

Post by Sam Stephens »

Here is ours so far , its an old boat trailer , we put new 2in hitch , safety chains , bearing buddies , rims and tires , jack stand , LED lights , and paint. Built a 3ft x 7ft basket for gear also works great for sleeping on , the racks are all welded steel , will hold 5 yaks .
Having a 7 1/2ft long 14in wide and 12in deep steel locking rod box built ( should be done this week ) and a large steel basket or a large tool box for the front , will post again when its done...........
,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,,,,,,
MattD

Post by MattD »

After many nights of looking at ideas and countless trips to the hardware store, my first kayak trailer is finished. It started as a Harbor Freight trailer, a pile of SuperStrut and some scrap steel from the dumpster. I added a couple of coats of spray-on bedliner coating and a recycled battery box for tie-down and tools.
Special thanks to G-Man for answering my questions along the way!

G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

Nice!

No prob. That's what we're here for.

G-Man
BigDozer66

Post by BigDozer66 »

MattD wrote:After many nights of looking at ideas and countless trips to the hardware store, my first kayak trailer is finished. It started as a Harbor Freight trailer, a pile of SuperStrut and some scrap steel from the dumpster. I added a couple of coats of spray-on bedliner coating and a recycled battery box for tie-down and tools.
Special thanks to G-Man for answering my questions along the way!

Very nice indeed! :clap:

BigDozer66
MattD

Post by MattD »

Thanks guys. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Granted it took substantially longer than I planned, but it's much better than trying to lift boats on to the top of my Suburban.
Matt
surfers77
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfers77 »

Just something I threw together real quick with 2 2x6s. It is my Lawn Mowing trailer, a small 5x8 utility trailer with the gate flipped down. Eventually I will get a rack that slides in and will hold 4-6 kayaks. Drove to and from Houston to Corpus. Family fun, but a pain to load and unload. Wilderness ride 135 w/rudder, Tarpon 140 w/Rudder, Hobie Revolution, Hobie Sport,
Hobie Sport.
Attachments
Kayaks.jpg
TikiTime

Post by TikiTime »

Here is my two week transformation. Still not 100% of the loading method. I wonder if they should not be loaded belly down for the two larger yaks (scupper pro and aquaterra prism) with the smaller yaks on top (kids are spirit 120s). Any thoughts or recommendations? Sorry...pictures loaded backwards...
Attachments
Trailer loaded...not 100% sure of the loading method just yet.
Trailer loaded...not 100% sure of the loading method just yet.
Added unistrut uprights, then a few pool noodles wrapped in gorilla tape.
Added unistrut uprights, then a few pool noodles wrapped in gorilla tape.
Trailer off of craigslist...stripped off old bunkers
Trailer off of craigslist...stripped off old bunkers
Imaposer

Post by Imaposer »

Ok, so as I started looking into getting into the whole kayak fishing scene I was faced with the common problem of how best to haul my kayak and gear. I currently drive a Jeep Rubicon, and to make a long story short, and after looking into rack systems I decided that perhaps a trailer would be the best overall bet. So, I started looking into getting one to adapt. Then it hit me last week... I alread have an OLD trailer just rusting away in the edge of the woods at the corner of my property. In fact, I had considered ways of getting rid of it several times in the last couple of years. It's one of those cheap bolt-together kit trailers that I picked up at Sam's Club about 20 years ago and it has since been replaced with a larger and nicer trailer that I use for motorcycles and general hauling. The newer trailer is nice and useful, but it's also heavy and cumbersome, and the long (tall) folding ramp/gate would ideally need to be removed each time I wanted to use it for hauling Kayaks. Plus, I'd still have to modify it with a rack system for kayaks and I'd rather just leave it the way I have it set-up now instead of changing it around every time I want to use it for something different.

So, then the idea hits me... I have that old trailer... maybe I could refurbish it and modify it into a purpose built kayak and gear trailer that I could just leave the Kayak on. It's lighter and handier, and just rotting away anyway.

So, Saturday I hauled it out from under the pile of leaves and started taking a look.

Here's what I found so far:

So far, all I've accomplished is to take the deck off and start looking it over, removed the fenders, cleaned them up and hit them with some Rust Converter primer and a top coat of black Rustoleum (not shown in pics). Needs new tires just because these are old and I don't trust them. Probably needs a new plywood deck and I plan to add stake panel sides all around to contain various gear. I might also add some sort of rod locker and a truck box for various things as well, and of course fab up a rack for the kayaks. Right now though I'm just trying to work out how to clean it up the best I can and repaint on the cheap as well as fix things like the wiring, tires and extending the tongue length.

Other than it being in sad shape cosmetically, I think it'll make a fine light duty trailer for a couple of kayaks and assorted fishing gear once it's cleaned up and repainted and built up a bit.

I do have a question though. Looking through this thread at all the great ideas, I see that a lot of them have the tongues extended with what appears to be a simple square tubing piece. This was my plan and it looks to be simple enough, but, measuring the coupler that is currently bolted on the trailer's tongue, it appears that it needs square tubing that measures 2.5" which isn't a standard tubing size. So what size tubing are all you guys using to extend the tongues.

This is a great thread with lots of great ideas, btw. Thanks for any advice and/or tips.
kurtloup

Post by kurtloup »

Since I referenced this thread while gathering ideas for my trailer build, I suppose I should post a photo of the trailer I built. Everything, other than the frame, was rebuilt or replaced. I added the 8' tool boxes to store rods, paddles, stake out poles, etc. The rack above the boat holds my canoe and/or kayaks.

Kurt

msr

Post by msr »

Kurt, Nice trailer but beautiful boat.
JSimpson65

Post by JSimpson65 »

Here's mine - carrying a Tarpon 160.
Attachments
DSC_0618.JPG