Pecos River Trip

Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Pecos River Trip

Post by Wolfman57 »

well to be honest this is not a kayak trip, it was a drop off from aboat to the pecos. Amstead was about 15-20' lower than last time we were here...according the the official records it was 17' lower. there was a mud bar that was covering the connection between the RIO and the Pecos. WE were there Thursday through Saturday.

Made it up about a mile shorter than we normally do to find the water just as clear but about 8' lower than normal.
We did not quite make it up to the Hilton, but we made it to the Hyat
Surprising enough the first blood was this fella...
We caught probably 150-200 fish practicing mostly catch and release...
got to spend some great time with my Dad and my Son...they both loved it
he even caught a few fish too
and practiced catch and release...via air freight...gotta work on that one
We did some fossil hunting and wore him out

Built a custom rod for the occasion that worked great!
All the cooking was done in a dutch overn, the steaks, jumbalaya, cobbler, haSH browns, and baked apples. it was awesome and we ate well
We must have caught 200 fish, at one time I counted 4 casts and 4 fish...tried for 5/5 but went dry...
If you have not done this It was AWesome
WM
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Pecos River Trip

Post by Hirsch »

That looks like a great trip. Looks like you hit the run right and I really like that campsite. That boy looks about done in on that cot there. :D
Gutter Girl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gutter Girl »

Great pictures! Cots and cook station under the overhang - nice!

GG
Hector

Post by Hector »

Wow, awesome scenery!
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Gutter Girl wrote:Great pictures! Cots and cook station under the overhang - nice!

GG
I'm with Gutter Girl on this one...might not be a yak trip but it is camping for sure.. :clap:
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Looks like your usual good spring time river trip, just minus the kayaks. Great fishing, scenery and camping.

Congrats on a great family outing!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
fryemup
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fryemup »

Nice..

I was on the other end of the Pecos in New Mexico last week,,, thinking what kind of trip that would be be.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Guys it was a blast. We sure had fun catching over 200 bass....love this trip every year.

I've heard the NM side of the Pecos is very nice too!

WM
Big Country
Location: Cibolo, Texas: "Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment"

Post by Big Country »

Wolfman,

A few buddies and I were going to head to the Pecos River in April to do some kayaking, camping, and fishing. Did ya'll put in at the Hwy 90 Ramp? Was there plenty of water to get to Deadman's Canyon about 7 miles up river from the ramp? As your post read, is it not at all passable to get to the Rio Grande from the Pecos in a kayak?

Good post...love the family spirit and memories that come from it. Thanks buddy!

Craig
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Big Country wrote:Wolfman,

A few buddies and I were going to head to the Pecos River in April to do some kayaking, camping, and fishing. Did ya'll put in at the Hwy 90 Ramp? Was there plenty of water to get to Deadman's Canyon about 7 miles up river from the ramp? As your post read, is it not at all passable to get to the Rio Grande from the Pecos in a kayak?

Good post...love the family spirit and memories that come from it. Thanks buddy!

Craig
Hey Craig,

yes we put in at the 90 Ramp and there was still plenty of water there, although the reservoir was 17' lower than normal. I did not go over to the RIO side, but where normally there was water I could see a big sandbar....dry sandbar. There were signs that said that it was not passable to the RIO so it sounds like it is not passable.

We made it up 10 miles so yes you should have no problem going to Deadman's Canyon...although that is where it starts to get shallow. We made it about 10 miles up the Pecos, but also 2 miles lower than we were normally camped. But it is still beautiful and we caught a bunch of fish!

WM
Big Country
Location: Cibolo, Texas: "Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment"

Post by Big Country »

WM,

I'm late getting to your post...thanks for the reply. 10 miles? That's still a good trip one way...and the fishing makes it all the better. Thank you for the updates.

Craig
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

very nice pics! it looks like it was a blast! I miss those white bass slaying days, maybe one day I'll make it back up to the trinity!