Texoma Algae Bloom - Water Unsafe

Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Texoma Algae Bloom - Water Unsafe

Post by Carver »

The run off is warmer than the lake and brings in nutrients that feed the algae. I keep rooting for really cold snaps on weekdays and fishing weather on the weekends.

I want my cake and eat it too!
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

We're fishing from our yaks. There is a good amount of BGA on the surface but we stayed clear of it and have had no health problems. I certainly wouldn't swim in or around it. It's going away on it's time schedule. I just wish it killed zebra muscles!!! :twisted:
TexomaB
Location: Denison, Texas - Malibu Mini-X (stone) WS Ride 115 (Red)

Post by TexomaB »

Anymore updates on bg report? I'm planning on being out there almost everyday next while I'm on vacation.
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

Nothing new on the website since Dec 1.
Haven't got an answer on phone in a couple of days of trying. I suspect the holidays are the culprit.
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

Check the Tulsa COE website. They do updates almost daily.
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

Rev TCF wrote:Check the Tulsa COE website. They do updates almost daily.
I have a shortcut to the Tulsa COE website on my iPhone and check it pretty much every day. I think the holiday season just has them sidetracked for a bit. I can relate to that.
I am headed south ( Whitney ) for the next trip or so right now and will hit Texoma again in mid Jan. Lake temp should have done the job by then.... maybe,,,,,, I was wrong about the rain doing it before.

The last guy I talked to said they would not do anther update until the all clear notice.

Tight lines, Phill
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

Last update was 12/13

Tulsa District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers The latest test results were received Dec. 12 and showed that levels remain above the advisory level. We plan on retesting in early January.
TexomaB

Post by TexomaB »

I'm with you Rev, I might be waiting tell January too. I'm going out to lake today just to look around and see who all is on the water today. Can't beat this nice weather we are having this week!
H2O Seeker

Post by H2O Seeker »

Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

H2O Seeker wrote:Here we go fellas:

http://www.lakehub.com/misc/BynumNewsReleaseFINAL.pdf

The corps office in Tulsa said they had not heard about this but is checking out the public announcement . They said the lake is only tested once a month and this months test has not been done.

This link above goes to a news release by an advertising agency working for the Texoma retailers association.

It'll be interesting to see what the corps has to say. I am ready to get wet again. I'll probably still keep washing my fish before I clean them.
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

There has been some communication between the corps that issued the warning state and the county and business association that did the press conference yesterday. They do not agree at all on the safety of the water. Here is a direct quote from a rather long article. the link to the page follows the quote. You can take what you want from the PR firms conference. I'll stay on the conservative side and keep limiting my exposure.

'''" Bynum said there is some risk in everything one does in life, and swimming or boating on Lake Texoma is no exception. However, he added, the risk is minor at this point. He said one is more likely to “get a sunburn, stump your toe or see a fish, maybe even “Jaws,”’ than one is to get sick from using Lake Texoma.

“It is as safe (to use the lake) now as it has ever been,” Bynum said.

Herring seemed to disagree.

“(We) want to mention that based on our most recent test data from Jan. 11, the cell counts exceed the World Health Organization’s advisory threshold and primary body water contact is still discouraged. Based on the adverse health effects that BGA can cause to both humans and pets, we have an obligation to educate the public of the risks so they can make an informed decision for themselves and their families. Until test data is received that shows that the levels have dropped below the WHO standards, the advisory will remain in effect. The next round of sampling will take place within the next few weeks.”

Additionally Herring said there are tests that can done that will determine the level of liver and nerve toxins (in the water); there “are no tests available for the skin toxins.”

“The test conducted monthly since August 2011 is used to determine the concentration of BGA, in number of cells per milliliter, Herring said. “This information is compared against the World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines for safe recreational water environments. Using the total concentration (cell/ml) of BGA to determine the health risks posed is a conservative approach that takes into account any possible production of liver and nerve toxins as well as the skin toxin(s) that all BGA produce. The tests also look at the type of algae present and based on that information we can determine whether they are known toxin producers and if the potential for liver/nerve toxin is present. In addition, by using a conservative approach we are able to determine whether the concentrations of algae are high enough to have the potential for any adverse health effects including those that effect the skin and the upper respiratory system. Tests that look at just nerve/liver toxin levels may show low levels of those toxins, but would not detect high levels of skin toxins that may cause health effects.”

Bynum ended the press conference, saying the county and Corps need to get together to work out a way to protect the public health and the business interests at the lake. Herring confirmed that Grayson County Health Department officials had contacted the Corps to discuss BGA, but said so far there has been no requests by the county to change the testing methodologies, sampling locations or the information it provides to the public. ''''

Link to meeting results and article this was quoted from: http://www.herald-democrat.com/sections ... rence.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tight lines, phill
TexomaB

Post by TexomaB »

Anyone have an update on b/g algae on Texoma? Seems to me like this stuff is not going way anytime soon.
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

From the COE site March 1st,2012

" Blue-green algae advisory remains in effect at Lake Texoma- March 1, 2012
Mar 01, 2012

Test results from blue-green algae samples taken Feb. 22, 2012 at Lake Texoma show blue-green algae cell densities still exceed the ADVISORY level.

The lake-wide advisory remains in effect. Water contact is still discouraged. "

I would of lost this bet for sure.