2/29 East Matty

partyman

2/29 East Matty

Post by partyman »

We decided that today was the day to give E Matty a try. Golfpro and I headed out and with a little guidance (thanks TxSpeck) we arrived at Rawlings about 10am.
Being that we were new to the area we decided our best bet would be live shrimp as bait. We put into the canal and immedietly saw bait EVERYWHERE! We proceded out of the canal and headed left up to a nice cut. We fished there for about 30 minutes with no action then went separate ways.
I went back south to the other shore and did a slow drift all the way across to a nice point where I decided to anchor. I immedietly got attention 2 hardheads :evil: I pulled anchor and drifted another couple hundred yards and anchored again. This time I catch a rat red (popping cork) then a 10" puppy drum (bottom). After that and several locations later I still don't have a keeper anything. I met back up with Golfpro and we headed in about 4pm.
All in all it was a great day with a beautiful new location to explore and learn.

Temp 75
Partly Cloudy
East Wind 10+
Nice water with 18" visability
live shrimp popping cork and bottom
shores, banks, canals, open water, ... Anywhere we thought might hold fish.

Ended up with:
4 Hardheads
2 Dink Trout
1 Rat Red
1 Puppy Drum

I Will keep at this til I figure it out or die trying

Rusty
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: 2/29 East Matty

Post by txspeck »

keep going you will get the hang of it!
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Hardheads damn :evil: waters getting warm
robbymott

Post by robbymott »

Hey Partyman, we were out there yesterday too. Only my second trip there and first time for my buddy.

We launched at first light at zoomed (fished on my Surfango yaks) towards Hog Island on the South shoreline. At the first stop, my buddy landed a nice 20" trout on a topwater. There was a lot of bait activity and it looked really fishy.........but that would be the only fish in this area.

Then we headed across the bay to the North shore and fished the shell and reef closer to where we launched.

I landed a fat 19" trout and a 15" flounder.........my buddy landed a big fat 19.5" flounder.......one of the nicest I have seen.

Total of 2 trout and 2 flounder

Was nice to be on the water!!

Robby
partyman

Post by partyman »

Any critique or suggestions?
Attachments
East matty 2.29.jpg
Matyyaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Matyyaker »

Maybe proceed a little farther down the north shore line ,but with the winds who knows. Seems the fish are in deeper water off the reefs. Hang in there it will get better. Work has had me tied up all winter, but its getting close . Lots of options you just have to wait for them to play out . Good Luck.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Did anybody get a read on the water temperatures?
SlimeyLimey
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Austin, Texas!...........Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Post by SlimeyLimey »

partyman wrote:Any critique or suggestions?
Get out there into the deep stuff!

We fished there this weekend...seven of us...for three days....TOUGH!
partyman

Post by partyman »

where is the "deep stuff"? Rwemeber I am in a kayak, no pedal drive!!!
odi putsle

Post by odi putsle »

Robby, i was wondering who flew by us on those KILLER kayaks, (1 blue, 1 orange) this was the first time i ever saw a 4 foot rooster tail behind a kayak, AWESOME and those kayaks looked to be SUPER FAST. :clap: 2 thumbs up.
partyman

Post by partyman »

odi putsle wrote:Robby, i was wondering who flew by us on those KILLER kayaks, (1 blue, 1 orange) this was the first time i ever saw a 4 foot rooster tail behind a kayak, AWESOME and those kayaks looked to be SUPER FAST. :clap: 2 thumbs up.

Ditto
CARS

Post by CARS »

Its always a good day you get to hit the water