Poop in The Bush

larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Poop in The Bush

Post by larry long shadows »

We have been doing so many trips on the colorado my need to think about this... I like the hand washing set up but with hand sanitizers now days no need.... http://youtu.be/LyJLmqTFOkA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lptxtandem

Re: Poop in The Bush

Post by lptxtandem »

Here's an interesting, compact, and light weight solution...
http://www.biffybag.com/index.htm

I haven't had the opportunity to personally try these (new to kayak - fishing and camping), but it seems practical.

-William
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

hee hee....You said Poop....hee hee hee
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

They need to show this one in the Hospitals for Bed Pan care.
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

With more and more folks floating and camping Texas rivers it may become necessary to start doing the same that other states that have large numbers floating/camping on wild rivers. Most companies that do river trips carry a portable latrine system known as a groover. Basically its a large ammo can that you put thrash bag in. When you break camp you tie a knot in it and close the ammo can. You can make a seat that fits the can or as the name suggest, just sit on the can which gives you grooves on your backside! I have a 5 gallon bucket with a seat that we use on trips down the river or anywhere that doesn't have bathrooms. We use trash bags and do the same as they do with the groover. Sounds gorse but its better than stepping it it when your barefooted!
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Hmmmm, like walking across the cow pasture. Maybe we need to carry a poop scoop like used when walking the dog.
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

This is already an issue on the Devils River, the land owners complain about the human waste left by those who float the Devils. If a camp spot on the Colorado is used every weekend by groups of Yakers it doesn't take long before you set up your tent on pile! Now if most folks would at least dig a hole that would work for awhile but as you've seen on this board alone, it's starting to get busy. Especially from Austin to Bastrop. Last summer I saw one group that had over 20 people in it, all camped on the same island. That's a lot of crap!

M2C
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

I have said it once and will say it again. When it gets deep, wear Rubber Boots.
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

And when it gets real deep wear chest waders!
MudDuck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MudDuck »

fishnv wrote:This is already an issue on the Devils River, the land owners complain about the human waste left by those who float the Devils.
M2C
You seem to worry too much about landowners on the Devils. Just like a lot of other folks on this board. Why should Devils River Landowners get anymore consideration than let's say someone like my father who owns land along the banks of the Medina river? A flood is Natures way of flushing and if we're going to worry about human excrement maybe we should consider the tens of thousands of head of livestock which are owned by those same Devils River landowners which their waste eventually ends up in the river as well.

Get this straight these Devils river landowners do not want you on the river they are not your friend and they are no friends to the kayaking community. Period! They would complain about farting on the river if they thought it would make it difficult for you to be on the river. They've already declared war on us Kaykers and they will restrict our use of this river with every imaginable obstacle they can throw in the way. The only thing that seperates these river landowners from others in the State is the amount of wealth and political influence they have because of their wealth.
daveg99
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by daveg99 »

I have pooped in the devils river. :oops:
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

Well, I have a different view and I grew up on the Medina River just south of 410 off of Somerset road. I was taught that if it wasn't there when you got there then it shouldn't be there when you leave. Land owners along any river have the right to expect that. It's not a problem if the river only has the occasional Kayaker, rafter, tuber or boater. But when there are hundreds the Poop gets deep! I float the Colorado often and some of the islands I camp on can be nasty. At the very least dig a hole so I don't have to look at or step in your waste. As I made clear in my first post some of the rivers in other states mandate that you carry out all solid human waste. If a person practices leave only foot prints when enjoying our great outdoors the next one to be there won't have clean off his shoes or pick u[ your trash. I am a far right thinking guy but when it comes to our outdoors I want it to be as nice as it was when I was a kid.
Last edited by fishnv on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
saffra
Location: San Marcos, TX/Natchez, MS....Runnin' hoes and makin' money

Post by saffra »

fishnv wrote:..... some of the islands I camp on can be tasty.

I'm really hoping you meant "nasty" :shock:

:lol: :lol:
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

ops! yes nasty is the word! LMAO
daveg99
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by daveg99 »

Animals in the woods including cows in a pasture (of which there are a lot more of them then us) don't bury theirs. Since there is no perceived detriment to this, what's the big deal with human excrement? Or is this just "environmental correctness" so we can feel positive self esteem about "doing our part"?

Poop decomposes pretty quickly. Plus it can be fertilizer for the plants. Burn your TP and poop freely in the woods.
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

daveg99 wrote:Burn your TP and poop freely in the woods.
This could be a motto of some sort :lol: :lol: :lol: I may have to steal that for the Team Turtle Head credo :D
MudDuck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MudDuck »

fishnv wrote:Well, I have a different view and I grew up on the Medina River just south of 410 off of Somerset road. I was taught that if it wasn't there when you got there then it shouldn't be there when you leave. Land owners along any river have the right to expect that. It's not a problem if the river only has the occasional Kayaker, rafter, tuber or boater. But when there are hundreds the Poop gets deep! I float the Colorado often and some of the islands I camp on can be nasty. At the very least dig a hole so I don't have to look at or step in your waste. As I made clear in my first post some of the rivers in other states mandate that you carry out all solid human waste. If a person practices leave only foot prints when enjoying our great outdoors the next one to be there won't have clean off his shoes or pick u[ your trash. I am a far right thinking guy but when it comes to our outdoors I want it to be as nice as it was when I was a kid.
I understand your position on the poop. (Sorry if I am going off topic here.) However from my point of view based upon the DRWG I may have restricted access to the Devils river that I could technically paddle frequently. Imagine if you had restricted access to the Medina or Colorado rivers with a permit system access only. Lets say you couldn't just throw your kayak and gear in your truck and go fishing and had to see if you could get a permit to access your favorite fishing holes first. From my perspective as a local resident I am being restricted in accessing a local river. I am also baffled with the working groups concern of "landowner privacy" on a navigable river. When hanging out at the Medina river at my fathers place it is a fact of life your are going to see people on the river and your going to have to sacrifice some privacy because It's a public right of way. I feel that some of the considerations that are being made on the Devils are way over the top. Also Imagine if the Devils river working groups recommendations are a pilot program for things to come for the Kayaking community on all Texas Rivers. I can't understand how an avid kayak fishermen can entertain the idea of restrictive permitting access to a public right of way.

That being said I will and have used biodegradable toilet paper while burying my waste, because carrying your own waste in a plastic ziploc is nasty in its own right and could lead to other health issues when handling it (Salmonella Foodborne illness). After a few days in the Yak I'm sure excrement gets mighty ripe. I wouldn't know!

"The shared goal of TPWD and these stakeholder groups is to proactively plan ways to balance public access with ethical use and respect for landowner privacy, to ensure long‐term enjoyment and stewardship of the beautiful, rugged Devils River."

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publication ... final3.pdf
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I bought a book titled 'How to Sh#t in the Woods' by Kathleen Meyer. Funny and informational. Covers how to go, where to go, and what to do with it. Good information on purifying water. You find new uses for PVC pipe and Tupperware.

Lots of discussion on river trips. Great read anyway.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

I do not believe you have to pack it out or even get 100' from water. However, I do believe common courtesy dictates two things.

1) Get 100' away from the campsite, the same distance as recommended for outhouses from homes or camps.

2) Take a minute and bury it. Especially in an area seeing frequent traffic it can become on eyesore and olfactory offense.

Consider others whatever method you choose. :)
reelfisherman

Post by reelfisherman »

Piscator wrote:I bought a book titled 'How to Sh#t in the Woods' by Kathleen Meyer. Funny and informational. Covers how to go, where to go, and what to do with it. Good information on purifying water. You find new uses for PVC pipe and Tupperware.

Lots of discussion on river trips. Great read anyway.
Good book. Took it on my trip to Philmont with our scout troop last summer. Funny and informative. I highly recommend it.
powerpro69

Post by powerpro69 »

Not sure what made me click on this thread! :lol:
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Some threads just have a natural odor about them. :mrgreen:
jdlander

Post by jdlander »

1. Bury the poop.

2. pack out the toilet paper.

No worries.
RojoPescado

Post by RojoPescado »

daveg99 wrote:I have pooped in the devils river. :oops:
"Launching a mud minnow".
Weird1

Post by Weird1 »

MudDuck wrote:
fishnv wrote:This is already an issue on the Devils River, the land owners complain about the human waste left by those who float the Devils.
M2C
You seem to worry too much about landowners on the Devils. Just like a lot of other folks on this board. Why should Devils River Landowners get anymore consideration than let's say someone like my father who owns land along the banks of the Medina river? A flood is Natures way of flushing and if we're going to worry about human excrement maybe we should consider the tens of thousands of head of livestock which are owned by those same Devils River landowners which their waste eventually ends up in the river as well.

Get this straight these Devils river landowners do not want you on the river they are not your friend and they are no friends to the kayaking community. Period! They would complain about farting on the river if they thought it would make it difficult for you to be on the river. They've already declared war on us Kaykers and they will restrict our use of this river with every imaginable obstacle they can throw in the way. The only thing that seperates these river landowners from others in the State is the amount of wealth and political influence they have because of their wealth.
+1 well said