Colorado River Cook's Island Report

DNR

Colorado River Cook's Island Report

Post by DNR »

My first post on the new Camping Fourm, glad it's here.
Me and some buds did a camping trip on Cook's Island on the Colorado River.
The island is about 1/2 mile down from Little Webberville Park below Austin.
We launched in Garfield just down from the park.
The river all summer has been crystal clear, but Fri. night there was some decent rain near by so this is what found when we got ready.
So much for the swimming we were looking forward to.

We didn't have enough kayaks for everybody so two of them decided to rent a canoe. We took this as an invitation to bring it all.
Did we forget any thing?

The off colored water didn't do the bass fishing any good, no hits at all on the short trip down. I usually catch 3-4 on the way to the island.

The island is a great camping spot; large, lots of camping areas, and lots of trees. We picked the smaller one, perfect for 2-3 tent.

The guys set out some poles and before long had some small cats and a nice drum. I'm into photography (as you can tell by this post) so I was running around the island shooting wild flowers, bugs and stuff. The place is full of wild flowers still.
Don't wipe your butt with this :lol: :lol:
Only fish pic of the trip.

Hoping the water would clear later in the day for some paddleing, we broke out the fun and games
We're serious washers players.

Finally decided to get out and paddle around the island. It has a cut through the middle that makes a nice little tour.

The big camp spot - that tire has been there a while

A little after I got back the guy are getting hungry. One of my favorite things about camping is the food. With the kayak we usually have to pack light, but with the canoe we brought the good stuff.
Just about ready
Man, it was good. It's never exactly the same recipe twice, this times special ingredient was fresh hatch peppers.

We had a near full moon and cool air to enjoy the rest of the night. Slept like a baby.
Next morning got up and fixed breakfast and we found that the water had cleared up some and I wanted a bass. We broke camp and hit the water. Not long I got my bass. :D

Right now the flow in the morning is pretty strong and you have to pass a shallow area and small riff. The canoers found it a bit tough but got through. Heck, I paddled pretty hard to get past it myself. Come mid-Oct. the flow will go down quite a bit makeing it an easy trip back.

It was a nice relaxing trip. I do alot of 12-35 mile trips, but sometimes just takeing it easy is the way to go.
menard

Re: Colorado River Cook's Island Report

Post by menard »

cool
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

DNR first camping report...can't believe there was only one response to this post ...
DNR

Post by DNR »

Dang Larry, I saw my name and the title and was thinking "when did I camp on Cook's recently." Thought I was going crazy. :lol:
The camping forum was young then.

Funny thing is the river is that same color right now with the rain we had. No wild flowers now though.
And seeing the dutch oven meal has got me hungry. Might have to do it this weekend now.

That was a real fun trip.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

This trip is the last one I made there. It is the only one you and I shared on that island. That was April of 2010 and was the maiden voyage of the PACK canoe. It is a great place to do a first time shake out camping trip. Or a late Saturday afternoon to early Sunday trip.
2py23cm[1].jpg
1jn91v[1].jpg
308eb08[1].jpg
Last edited by Hirsch on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

15gtcbd[1].jpg
DSC01154.JPG
2ccbao[1].jpg
On the Guad
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by On the Guad »

I saw it and thought.....dang, that @@@ didn't even call :lol:
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

I saw it and thought wow look at those wild flowers in the winter time. Didn't see any on the freeze trip so I thought must a really protected island out of the cold :lol: :lol:
drigge

Post by drigge »

Wow - amazing pictures! Dinner looks incredibly delicious! I am jealous and hungry right now! :D
I adore the flower pictures - is it okay if I save them on my computer and make myself a wallpaper with it? I usually collect florist flowers and make something with them but these pictures are so marvelous I definitely have to try something out. :)
Last edited by drigge on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNR

Post by DNR »

drigge wrote:Wow - amazing pictures! Dinner looks incredibly delicious! I am jealous and hungry right now! :D
I adore the flower pictures - is it okay if I save them on my computer and make myself a wallpaper with it? I usually collect florist flowers and make something with them but these pictures are so marvelous I definitely have to try something out. :)
Sure drigge, thanks. The river is a great place for wild flower photography. Looking forward to this years season, with this rain we've been getting it should be good.