Lake Somerville St Park HTH Trip July 2011

Gutter Girl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Lake Somerville St Park HTH Trip July 2011

Post by Gutter Girl »

Ok, I'm behind in my camping posts so let me catch up here a bit. My camping girlfriend who lives in Austin talked me into going to Lake Somerville SP over the 4th of July weekend which was the hottest weekend of the year thus far! We camped in the Nails Creek Unit which is the southern unit because it's quieter and has more space between sites than the Birch Creek Unit but perhaps less privacy. The trade-off for this was we'd have to drive up to the Birch Creek Unit to launch our kayaks as conditions were just non-existent to launch at the NCU. We had great neighbors on both sides so lack of privacy was no big deal.

Here's a picture of our site. Notice the positions of our tents. I've got a story to tell about this.

I took my tower fan and even in the shade on full blast, it was hardly enough during the day. Frankly I really didn't enjoy myself because of the 100+ degree heat but my friend really wanted to visit and hey, that's what friends do for each other! Did a lot of reading and playing cards and even started a hike but just too humid and hot once we got into the trees. Thankfully it cooled off at night and I hardly needed the fan.

So, about the tents...I fell asleep Friday night about 11pm. I normally wake up about 3am, potty and then go back to sleep quickly and that night was no different. Well the waking up part was no different. As I'm laying on the bed settling in to drift off again, I heard something I couldn't quite identify. It sounded like really loud breathing, like through the mouth and layered along with that was this swishing noise. It kept getting closer and closer and I'm about to freak out! It took all my might to look out the tent door window but glad I did. I counted at least 5 cows walking from the direction of my girlfriend's tent passing about 3 feet from mine! I could hear them round my tent and then all of a sudden, it got quiet again. They just disappeared. I'm laying there asking myself what the heck were those cows doing out at 3am! I questioned this for several minutes while I got my breathing back to normal so I could get to sleep again! That was a first for me!

Saturday morning brought a beautiful sunrise. I think this was just before 7am.

We left the park at 8:25am as we were on a mission. The real reason I agreed to camp was a promise to go to Snow's BBQ in Lexington - my first visit there. OMG! I am pretty sure I died and went to heaven. That was some of the best brisket and pork ribs I've ever had (and I had some Franklin's about 2 months before that :D ). There was quite the line at 9:15am and by the time we got in at 9:30am they were out of chicken. We sat with a group of 4, mom and dad, and 2 best friends of their sons. They were on a BBQ quest that day and Snow's was just the beginning. We talked 'cue for a while and one guy mentioned their roast pork. I didn't even look at the menu so I didn't know about that. The guy next to me cut us each a hunk - woo boy! That was outstanding. But alas, when I went to go buy some to go, they were out of that too. When it's gone, it's gone! Unfortunately my camera batteries were dead so no pics of the place or 'cue - sorry!

My friend and I met up back at the park about 4pm and after loading my kayak on my car, we headed up to the BCU.

The main park headquarters

Rain barrels?

Fishing pier

Boat ramp - lots of boats out and about - we decided just to swim and sun ourselves for a bit.

And a receding shoreline...

Healthy hike to the lake with your kayak and gear!

And one last picture - gotta dig it!

One of our neighbors had a 5th wheel horse-hauler/camper combo. Sunday morning as we ate leftover cue for breakfast, the lady came over and invited us for mimosas. She and her husband had been married just a month and they brought some of the reception champagne with them. Yummy! Nice way to start the day! We chatted and drank for a couple of hours, then they packed up to head back to the Houston area and we packed up to visit my friend's mom at a nursing home in Giddings. I headed up I-35 about 3pm. Yikes - the traffic - even on Sunday!

I did like the camping area we were in. We did drive around the camping areas in the BCU and confirmed the sites were indeed closer together - reminded me of Inks Lake a bit. There are some hiking trails including one that connects the two units. There are some primitive sites scattered along the trail. If I were a backpacker I might try one out. The restrooms were in decent shape. I just wouldn't go back unless it was cooler - like in late March or April or the fall. I'd probably give this experience a 'C' grade.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures!

GG
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Re: Lake Somerville St Park HTH Trip July 2011

Post by larry long shadows »

Great post been along time sense I have been to Somerville...That was a Summer to remember Thanks for the Post
Mojo227

Post by Mojo227 »

Great pics and post! Love seeing those sunrises with a cup of coffee! It can sometimes make the whole trip.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Man, great pics and report! Nice to remember that July heat as i'm shivering right now. :lol: Thanks for sharing.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Good post and great pics.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Thanks for the report GG. I went swimming and sunning today as well...hahahahaha....well, not really. :D
rpecot

Post by rpecot »

Gutter Girl wrote: And a receding shoreline...
Looking through some of these older posts... Either there is some kind of inside joke that I don't get, or the URL for your original picture was reassigned.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I had a lake place on Somerville for 12 years. When the lake is down the cattle from the leased COE land can go around the fences and wander all over the place. They used to come through my lot eating everything in sight. It is a miserable place in the summer due to the extreme heat.
Gutter Girl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gutter Girl »

rpecot wrote:
Gutter Girl wrote: And a receding shoreline...
Looking through some of these older posts... Either there is some kind of inside joke that I don't get, or the URL for your original picture was reassigned.
LOL! Definitely not the picture I originally posted. I don't have a clue who that is! How does that happen?!

GG
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Hacked for sure .. :lol: