Redfish Crack instructions with pics

let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Redfish Crack instructions with pics

Post by let's go »

I've had a bunch of requests for the recipe of the Redfish Crack. I was tying up a few for upcoming customer trips and figured I'd take a few photos as I went. My tying is sloppy, but it gets the job done. I got this pattern from Andy Packmore at Fishing Tackle Unlimited. I've been tweaking it to suit myself for the last few months. If you'll use these materials and super glue the thread after each step the fly will be virtually indestructable. One fly caught 12 one day, 6 the next and 19 the third. That one was cut off and given to the customer as a reminder of his great trip. It was still in good shape after 37 landed reds and no telling how many more that got off during the fight.

In the past I've used #2 or 4 Mustad 34007, this time I went with their Shrimp hook (C47SD). They're sized a bit smaller so these are on the 1/0. No real reason, just what I had handy.

This color combination has been my favorite, but I've used several that others that work well too. This is also an unweighted version. Sometimes I add in lead eyes.

Start with a base of thread and then a small bit of tan craft fur. Super glue

Tie in some orange cactus chenille, about 4-5 wraps. Super glue

Tie in EP Streamer Brush w/legs and wrap to the eye and put some glue or Sally Hansen over the head. I'm using the reddish olive brush. They come in 9inch lengths that I cut into three equal parts.

After wrapping the brush you'll need to use a bodkin to pick the fibers out from the wraps.

Brown magic marker bars and comb the brush back. Done.
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Redfish Crack instructions with pics

Post by aggie182 »

Would you mind sharing what some of your other go-to color combos are?
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

All tan, tan/pinkish front and tan rear, rootbeer front and tan rear, tan front and rootbeer rear. Basically anything that looks kind of shrimpy I guess, but I'm not really sure what the reds think this thing is. All I know is they eat it on a regular enough basis that I rarely throw anything else. Very few refusals. On the rare days they've refused it I had a a hard time catching them on anything.

One I tied recently was intended for trout in the surf, but I never got around to trying it. It's chartruse on the front and bright pink on the rear.

I also just finished tying up some sheepie crack. They're on a smaller hook with an olive front and black craft fur tail with no cactus chenille. I added a small lead eye to it so it'll get down in front of them. Hope to try them out on some convicts this winter.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Appreciate that. I will tie up a couple tomorrow.
salt_fly

Post by salt_fly »

Deja vu all over again!

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 6&start=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TugAddict

Post by TugAddict »

Thanks bro. Just spun up a half doz. hope we can put em to work on Sat!
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

I tied some up last week using EP sparkle brush in place of the cactus chenille and they looked pretty good. The extra length and shine seems to add a little extra pop to the color contrast. Have caught a couple reds on that recipe so far.
Midcoast Mark
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Midcoast Mark »

Thanks for sharing.
This recipe will be the #1 I turn to whenever the vise comes out.
Amazingly, I think I have everything required in my box!

And who says TKFers or guides don't share trade secrets?
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

The Crack flies accounted for around 50 reds, trout and flounder today. It was crazy good in the marsh drains. A couple customers who had never even seen a redfish (Utah trout fishermen) got a really good introduction to the salty side. At one point the son asked how many they had caught. I honestly had no clue, but it was a bunch. The dad replied that he had lost count of his own at 20 and the son had caught more than the dad. They also got slams with three flounder and a couple trout.

I dropped them off about 1pm and went back out to get my own fix. Caught 6 or 7 more reds, a flounder and a trout. Not a bad day, still grinning.
TugAddict

Post by TugAddict »

That sounds Great!! I am pumped up to go get em tomorrow. C-Ya in the AM
oleyakker

Post by oleyakker »

thanks for the recipe... any chance we can twist your arm into doing your shrimp fly?
PS.. the PACK fly tiers are looking for guest tiers at our monthly tie in....
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I could probably do it, just let me know when/where.