End of Summer Camping Trip-San Marcos Rivers

Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

End of Summer Camping Trip-San Marcos Rivers

Post by Hirsch »

For many of us the 22nd of August marks the first day of school and for some of us a return to work. DNR and I have been working on a trip for a while and waiting for a break in the weather. The weekend of August 19-21 is predicted to drop a few degrees. He and I have checked with Shady Grove Campground and they have assure me that they have plenty of spaces open that weekend and that the tent area is very well shaded. The river is still above minimum flow and will offer a choice of half day trips that will make it easy to adjust to heat situations. Being springfed the river itself will be a little cooler than most rivers also.

http://spencercanoes.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David has stayed there before and says it is nice. He does warn that the manager is serious about enforcing rules so I would take a minute to read them on the site. Please post up if you are interested in joining.
yaktipper

Re: End of Summer Camping Trip-San Marcos Rivers

Post by yaktipper »

Count me in! I can't wait!
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Ok, soon I will have instructions on how to make your reservations with them. I plan to set a group campsite which she says she can accomodate.
yaktipper wrote:Count me in! I can't wait!
Mech

Post by Mech »

Well, I'll probably just miss you...hitting junction that weekend, and shady grove early the next week as I make my way back towards College Station for school...which starts on the 29th for me. Hope y'all have a good one.
badcuda

Post by badcuda »

rules are pretty straight forward and seem fair!!
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

i should be able to make it...so count me ...this is a base camp/paddle right...?
saffra
Location: San Marcos, TX/Natchez, MS....Runnin' hoes and makin' money

Post by saffra »

Yeah, Pat's serious about her rules, but as long as you obey them, you'll be just fine. Shady Grove is a nice campground, and with several river legs to choose from, you can have a pretty wide variety of paddling depending on which section you choose.

I only live about 4-5 miles from the campground, so I probably won't spend the night, but I'll definitely come out and paddle with y'all......it's been too long :D

Jerry
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

This is a base camp with various float options. From DNRs descriptions sound like half day trips are easy to do making 2 trips a day possible. He tells me one section he never takes tackle because he always ends up turning over. Sounds like a fun and adventuresome run. Then he tells me the other is easy trip of calm water with fishing very doable. I figure everyone can do whatever tickles their fancy and get together at camp in between.

I got a message machine at the campground this evening so I will call again tomorrow. I will make my reservations and set up procedures everyone can call in their reservations with the means to identify us as a group. I look forward to seeing everyone.

P.S. Guys I have a couple of women indicating they intend to come so do not hesitate to bring your wives/GFs if you wish.
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

I'll recommend you leave a message on the machine. She has a pretty full schedule.
On the Guad
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by On the Guad »

I'm going to try and plan on this.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

OK. the reservations are made. The phone # is (512)257--6113. We will be in campsite #8 and I told them we would be by "Texas Kayak Fisherman" or "TKF" when we call. The reservations are for the night of Friday, August 19 and Saturday, August 20th with departure on Sunday. Camp fees are $5.00 per person, per night.

The site is reported to have plenty of shade and a table. I will bring a couple of folding tables in case we need them.
On the Guad
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by On the Guad »

Im out. Will be in Houston
DNR

Post by DNR »

Looking forward to it.
I hope to take off work Fri. and head down that morning.

If any of the SMR experts can recommend a few good sections for us that would be helpful.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Robert, sorry you can't make it.

DNR, or anybody else; If you are going early let me know and I will try to be there in time that we might make a run Friday afternoon.
saffra

Post by saffra »

I'm ready to paddle whenever y'all are........my yak hasn't been wet since the last week of March, so I'm well past due for a good solid dunking.

There are several sections we can do......

City Park or Stokes Park to Westerfield Crossing............easy paddle, probably won't get wet, fishing can be tough at times.......you need about 20' of line to lower your boat down the backside of Cummings Dam.

Westerfield Crossing to Sculls Crossing..........moderately easy, but might get wet a time or two, fishing usually fair.

Spencer's to Staples Dam.........fairly easy paddle.....possibly a very short portage or two (I haven't been on this run since the flow has started to drop....maybe Doug will weigh in :D ) ......the fishing can be very good on this stretch.

Staples Dam to Fentress.......moderate paddle, little bit of zigging and zagging........I'm going swimming at least twice on this section :) ......usually very good fishing, but it's about a 9 mile run, so it's a full day with time to fish.

Once again, I haven't been on any of these stretches with the flow this low, so I'm rubbing the genie, lighting incense :D , and putting out a sacrificial 6-pk of Lone Star, trying to tempt the "Moder" into giving us the latest scoop on the river :D
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

You can run with the tubers if you want. Wester to Skulls has been good to us.
My biggest ever river bass came from halfway between the campground and Staples.
I'd join in but we have plans to dig out the septic tank that week.
Gutter Girl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gutter Girl »

Dang it! An open invite and I'm busy that weekend! I start a pet-sitting gig that Friday night. Well, I'll keep a look-out as I'm sure there will be some fall trips on water somewhere! Well, probably, um, well, maybe if there's any water left!

GG
saffra

Post by saffra »

Iamdamoder wrote:You can run with the tubers if you want. Wester to Skulls has been good to us.

Yeah, if we do that section, we'll want to get out there before the rubber hatch :mrgreen:

Actually, the tubers do put up a pretty good fight if you get a good hookset on 'em. :D
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

saffra wrote:
Iamdamoder wrote:You can run with the tubers if you want. Wester to Skulls has been good to us.

Yeah, if we do that section, we'll want to get out there before the rubber hatch :mrgreen:

Actually, the tubers do put up a pretty good fight if you get a good hookset on 'em. :D
I bet a tubers is fun on a Fly
On the Guad
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by On the Guad »

larry long shadows wrote:
saffra wrote:

I bet a tubers is fun on a Fly

The backcast could be interesting. Might even hook a few tops :lol:
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

On the Guad wrote:The backcast could be interesting. Might even hook a few tops :lol:
Is that how you snag a beer on the river? :lol:
saffra

Post by saffra »

Hirschhunter wrote:
On the Guad wrote:The backcast could be interesting. Might even hook a few tops :lol:
Is that how you snag a beer on the river? :lol:

Not sure that was the type of top Robert was referring to.......... :D
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Re-e-e-a-a-a-a-l-l-l-y? :wink: Hmmmm. I wonder? :lol:
On the Guad
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by On the Guad »

Beer too Hirsh :lol:
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

On the Guad wrote:
Might even hook a few tops :lol:
So you're sayin' there's a chance :D :lol:

I'm going to try and make it down for Friday or Saturday, although I don't know if I'll be camping. I've got some music stuff to do in Driftwood but I'd rather be fishing so we'll see. Any word on which stretch we'll be doing?