Surfside 5th6th7th

Yaknaround

Surfside 5th6th7th

Post by Yaknaround »

I'm headed down to surfside this thursday evening and meeting iyakalot, iyakalotmore for sure this weekend. Come on by and say hello if you want.
PetroAngler

Re: Surfside 5th6th7th

Post by PetroAngler »

Just got my first kayak (malibu stealth 12) a few weeks ago and its time to go BTB (she handles great in the neighborhood creeks and lakes). I was planning to hit the surf this weekend too and would like to meet up with the group. I'll be fishing Saturday. Can you let me know where y'all will be located and what kind of bait your planning on. Thanks.
Yaknaround

Post by Yaknaround »

We will be at surfside beach access 5 or 6. Which ever one that's in front of the rig. I'll stop at a bait store for ribbon fish but the rest of of bait I will catch. I'll be in a gray f150 with a big ladder rack on top. Feel free to stop by.
Pipeliner2

Post by Pipeliner2 »

If the weather holds I'll be out this weekend with my second in command (11 yr old son). Not sure if we're heading to HI or to Surfside. Which area has been more sharky ?

Looking forward to saying hello to a few of the regulars.

Tight Lines

Tom
dlaws60600

Post by dlaws60600 »

Ill be down for some btb down there Sunday. What time u guys goin???
Iyakalot

Post by Iyakalot »

PetroAngler wrote:Just got my first kayak (malibu stealth 12) a few weeks ago and its time to go BTB (she handles great in the neighborhood creeks and lakes). I was planning to hit the surf this weekend too and would like to meet up with the group. I'll be fishing Saturday. Can you let me know where y'all will be located and what kind of bait your planning on. Thanks.
PetroAngler, You might want to look through this thread http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 98&start=0 for some helpful tips about BTB yakking. You're certainly a newbie, as we all were at one time. Just want you to be prepared. We're planning to go to the platform about 1.8 miles offshore. This may not be the perfect opportunity for your first BTB experience.

Not familiar with the Malibu and its ability to handle the surf.
Razzorduck

Post by Razzorduck »

Yaknaround wrote:We will be at surfside beach access 5 or 6. Which ever one that's in front of the rig. I'll stop at a bait store for ribbon fish but the rest of of bait I will catch. I'll be in a gray f150 with a big ladder rack on top. Feel free to stop by.
The rig is located between BA 4 and 5. Heading east from the light at SS turn right at BA4 then left on the beach. You will see the rig. Drive down till your directly in front of it.

My buddy and I are headed down from Dallas and will be on the sand by about 5 PM on Friday for a short session and then no later than 7AM on Saturday. I may pick up some frozen cigar minnows (kings love em) and will pick up fresh dead shrimp at Saltgrass. With a castnet you can get all of the mullet you need in the surf. I plan on having live and cut mullet on board.

Looking forward to seeing some new faces this weekend!
Last edited by Razzorduck on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cogswell

Post by cogswell »

My father and I plan on doing some surf fishing on Saturday. I was looking at renting a yak for the day and run some baits. I wish they had the Ultra 4.7 to rent, but I had my eye on a trident 13 as well so that is probably the one I will try out. If anyone knows of a place renting the 4.7 I would appreciate the info. I will be in a green 2dr tahoe with a long CB whip.
PetroAngler

Post by PetroAngler »

Iyakalot wrote:
PetroAngler wrote:Just got my first kayak (malibu stealth 12) a few weeks ago and its time to go BTB (she handles great in the neighborhood creeks and lakes). I was planning to hit the surf this weekend too and would like to meet up with the group. I'll be fishing Saturday. Can you let me know where y'all will be located and what kind of bait your planning on. Thanks.
PetroAngler, You might want to look through this thread http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 98&start=0 for some helpful tips about BTB yakking. You're certainly a newbie, as we all were at one time. Just want you to be prepared. We're planning to go to the platform about 1.8 miles offshore. This may not be the perfect opportunity for your first BTB experience.

Not familiar with the Malibu and its ability to handle the surf.
I've been BTB a few times, twice in a rental of the kayak I purchased (handles well and I'm comfortable making it through the surf). I have spent some time on freshwater getting comfortable in my yak, and I know I have the gear needed to catch bull reds in the surf (previous BTB @ HI). This will be my first venture further out, and will be new target fish for me. I am planning to make some ribbon fish leaders to catch kings, etc. Are there any lures that work well? Also, are there any other special considerations for fishing rigs (i.e. different/longer anchor, drift sock?). I appreciate the advice and am looking forward learning from the experienced.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

I'm planning on going BTB Saturday evening and/or Sunday morning. Not ready for a rig trip yet. Still deciding between HI and jetty at Surfside.
Iyakalot

Post by Iyakalot »

Boomy wrote:I'm planning on going BTB Saturday evening and/or Sunday morning. Not ready for a rig trip yet. Still deciding between HI and jetty at Surfside.
If you're in the area Saturday stop by and give us a report. We'll be camping on the beach between BA 4 & 5 in front of the platform. If you change your mind about a rig trip, come join us.
Tom
Iyakalot

Post by Iyakalot »

PetroAngler wrote:I've been BTB a few times, twice in a rental of the kayak I purchased (handles well and I'm comfortable making it through the surf). I have spent some time on freshwater getting comfortable in my yak, and I know I have the gear needed to catch bull reds in the surf (previous BTB @ HI). This will be my first venture further out, and will be new target fish for me. I am planning to make some ribbon fish leaders to catch kings, etc. Are there any lures that work well? Also, are there any other special considerations for fishing rigs (i.e. different/longer anchor, drift sock?). I appreciate the advice and am looking forward learning from the experienced.
Good to know. Look forward to fishing with you. There are a lot of different opinions on type of anchor to use. The water depth is around 30-32'. So the consensus seems to be 100' of anchor rope is needed. Some of the more experienced yakkers seem to recommend the Danforth anchor over any other, which is what I'll be using. This is only my 3rd rig trip so I'm certainly no expert.

As for artificials someone else will have better answers. I do know silver spoons work well. Make up some steel leaders for your arties as Spanish Mackerel and King Fish have sharp teeth and will cut your line. Lost 3 lures last trip. Academy may have some 6-10" steel strand nylon coated leaders with swivel on one end and a snap on the other. I made some up.
Tom
Razzorduck

Post by Razzorduck »

Here is the latest wind/wave report for Surfside. My last 4 trips to the coast have resulted in blow outs due to high surf. Man am I pumped and ready to paddle/fish in the GOM again.
Not sure if the water at the rig will be clear enough for kings but I guess we will find out.

Are any of you early arrivals going to the rig on Friday? Be nice to get a report. Hate to paddle all the way out there without a king bite. I can catch sharks/reds much closer to shore.

http://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/ ... texas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yaknaround

Post by Yaknaround »

I wont know until tomorrow morning if I leave thurs. evening or not. But if I leave Thursday afternoon iyakalot and I will be fishing Friday and can give a report. Pm your number so I can call you.
PetroAngler

Post by PetroAngler »

Thanks for the info Iyakalot. I think I'm going to head to HI this weekend (taking a friend for his first BTB experience with some other TKF'ers), but look forward to making a rig trip with the group sometime in the future. Good luck!
addicted2fishing

Post by addicted2fishing »

Where can we buy the ribbon fish,and how much do they sell them for.
Iyakalot

Post by Iyakalot »

Several bait camps as you approach the jetties. Been told the one under the bridge?? sells fresh instead of frozen and is cheaper as well. Not sure of price.
Razzorduck

Post by Razzorduck »

Buc-ees before you get to the beach may have them but $$$ like $25. Bait stand on the right before the bridge has advertises offshore bait but never bought there. Bridge Bait (under bridge on rt side) should have them as well. Frozen cigar minnows drifted on an 8" steel leader (not store bought!) and a #4 4x treble works well also. I use 48lb coffee color stainless wire and make my own leaders. They are sooo much better than the crappy ones in the stores.
Iyakalot

Re: Surfside 5th6th7th Post Fishing Report

Post by Iyakalot »

If you like catching 18-24" fish you would have been happy with our weekend. Yaknaround and I went to the platform at Surfside Friday. There was no bait activity and no pelagics or bull reds either. There were a few small sharks there but the bite was slow. Ryans' fishfinder showed lots of bait and other fish closer to shore.

To sum up the fish available to catch, there were multitude of small sharks, and a few very large sharks feeding. We caught none of the larger sharks but had at least three main line breakoffs between us. Ryan and I probably caught 20 small shark apiece this weekend, maybe a third as many gaftop. The activity was best closer to shore.

A trout fisherman told me he had caught an 8' bull shark Thursday that had taken his trout. Must have been some fight on a trout rig. Haven't googled this yet, but, he did have some bad looking scratches on his leg. Apparently pics were taken so probably posted somewhere.

Friday I hooked a small tarpon that threw the hook after three jumps. Caught a 21" trout in the surf on artificial and missed a 24" trout in the surf Sunday on a large live shrimp.

The best part of the weekend was Chef Gerardo's cooking. Yaknaround brings his own chef with him, so we eat well.

Razorduck (Jim) and Ryan joined us Friday afternoon and caught whiting and other fish from the surf. They stayed through the weekend and went out Saturday. I'll let Jim tell their story. All in all had a great weekend.