BBW River Ranger 14

Iwannagofishin

Re: BBW River Ranger 14

Post by Iwannagofishin »

Well, the boat's still not done but she's ready to float. Still need to build the deck hatches, and sand out some epoxy runs. But it's too hot to work on the boat. I'm stopping here for now.
boat front.jpg
boat from side.jpg
boat from side.jpg
I'll do the rest of the work when the weather cools down. Time to get wet.
Attachments
boat frt angle.jpg
Iwannagofishin

Post by Iwannagofishin »

Time to float the boat.
1st paddle.jpg
1st paddle.jpg (32.64 KiB) Viewed 4496 times
Best part was getting my son in the boat. He figured it out in about 5 minutes. Yeah, I know. I'm planning the second boat.
zach2.jpg
zach3.jpg
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

If this is your first boat you did fantastic the boat looks awesome.
Congratulation on your new toy.
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

That is one beautiful boat. You did a great job. I'm hoping other new builders will see just how nice these River Ranger boats can be. Hope you'll eventually give us a full paddle report. Can I borrow some of your pictures to put on my design/plan page?

http://www.texaspaddler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.brazosboatworks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iwannagofishin

Post by Iwannagofishin »

gerald wrote:That is one beautiful boat. You did a great job. I'm hoping other new builders will see just how nice these River Ranger boats can be. Hope you'll eventually give us a full paddle report. Can I borrow some of your pictures to put on my design/plan page?

http://www.texaspaddler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.brazosboatworks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Feel free to use whatever pictures you like. I started a thread on your forum directing people to this build thread. I'll continue to post here as I add the finishing touches.

PS The boat paddles great. Tracks very well and moves easily under power. I don't have a lot of kayaking experience, so she felt a little tippy at first. But I was completely comfortable in 5-10 minutes. Can't wait to take on some more adventurous trips, and catch a few fish.

Pretty sure I'll be ordering the 12' plans soon. Gotta get started on my son's boat.
LastHurrah

Post by LastHurrah »

This looks fantastic! Can't wait to get mine out on the water. After you put that seat in I bet you were like :dance: :lol:
Iwannagofishin

Post by Iwannagofishin »

LastHurrah wrote:This looks fantastic! Can't wait to get mine out on the water. After you put that seat in I bet you were like :dance: :lol:
I've gotta admit, I did a little happy dance. :dance:
LastHurrah

Post by LastHurrah »

Iwannagofishin wrote:
LastHurrah wrote:This looks fantastic! Can't wait to get mine out on the water. After you put that seat in I bet you were like :dance: :lol:
I've gotta admit, I did a little happy dance. :dance:
I've been doing it every day since I've stitched the boat because I still can't believe I was able to build something in the shape of a boat :lol:
LastHurrah

Post by LastHurrah »

I saw how Ron did his seat, but yours looks a little different. How did you do yours?
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Job well done!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Iwannagofishin

Post by Iwannagofishin »

LastHurrah wrote:I saw how Ron did his seat, but yours looks a little different. How did you do yours?
Sorry about my slow response. Work kicked my butt this week. Well, my seat is still a work in progress. I may change this, but here's what I've done so far.

I put a guide strip in the middle of the back half of the cockpit. Just "epoxied in" a 5/8" cedar strip about 14 inches long.
Guide Strip.jpg
Then I took a 3/4" piece of ply, cut it to fit the seat bottom, and used a table saw with a dado blade to cut a groove down the middle of it.
bottom of seat mount.jpg
I left the plywood longer than needed because I'm considering adding a storage compartment or cup holder in front of the seat.
seat on mount from top.jpg
So at this point, it's pretty ugly but functions well. It adjusts easily. But there's nothing holding it in place if I flip in the water.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

flipping and blowing out of the boat are problems if no pins are used.
ron