Bass fly fishing

Flyfisher87

Bass fly fishing

Post by Flyfisher87 »

Went fishing for bass with my fly rod today in a local creek. I would say it was a productive day even though I had only one bite. My casting needs improvement dramatically. I not really familiar with what kinda flies to use. I was using a deer hair diver but I was thinking a weedless clouser or deceiver would do just as good if not better. I just worked both banks on the out skirts of the weeds and under trees. Any tips or advice y'all can give me would be very helpful thank you.
salt_fly

Re: Bass fly fishing

Post by salt_fly »

Consider a popper or a slider with a balsa or foam body and rubber legs or a frog pattern with rubber legs for motion. For sub-surface you can't beat a wooly bugger in black or olive (weed guard advised). Another idea would be a crayfish pattern.
Flyfisher87

Post by Flyfisher87 »

Thank you Salt.
gfmd33

Post by gfmd33 »

What is the creek you are fishing like (i.e., deep, shallow, clear, murky, narrow, etc)?

For the creeks I fish they are normally pretty shallow 4ft and under in depth with most being around 2ft and under and crystal clear. I have a lot of success with Turks Turantuala, Sneaky petes in chartruese and white, small olive, white, black wooly's, near nuff craws (for the deeper sections), and for large bass you want some kind of neutrally buoyant fly that you can let sit in front of their face with out moving it and it still wiggles. That is really the only flies you would ever need for that type of creek (imo), unless of course you are like me and that would be about 200 flies short of what you will take with you. You should also think about using a dry dropper technique as it can work well on a creek, use the popper on top like a popping cork at the coast and then have the bass hit the subsurface fly if they won't hit the top for you.
Puck

Post by Puck »

Sam's One Bug, and Pete's Gurgle Pop Ppopper, along with bendbacks are some of my favorites for LMB (large mouth bass)

Other advise...

Check out Texas FlyFishers for more hints, meeting places, and fishing trips.

Puck
Skip_and_pitch

Post by Skip_and_pitch »

A black wooly bugger in no doubt the best bass fly I've used. I just strip it slow and steady and they hammer it. My second favorite is a chart./white clouser minnow. I work that by two quick strips followed by a short pause. And as the others said a popper is good when they are on the surface. Good luck! :D
lockjaw_tx

Post by lockjaw_tx »

Hi Flyfisher87
What I use 80% of the time is a simple beadhead , size 6-8 hook with a tinsel tail , and 6-8 legs on it. . My first trip to the Llano River I asked the guide , what I should throw? " Any thing with lots of legs." It worked and I have been using them, ever since.
They are small enough , for pan fish, but also attract the attention of bass, and catfish .
Lockjaw_Tx
Attachments
DSCF0082.JPG
joebeasley

Post by joebeasley »

I use a popper for bass and bluegills. A black wooly bugger will catch almost anything, even catfish.

Check My Blog
jimithing

Post by jimithing »

heres a few that ive been hammering fish at ponds and streams with both bluegill and bass...
deer hair frog.jpg
deer hair chugger/pooper style frog. easy to tie and very effectice, also weedless so you can throw in grass, lilly pads, and even on rocks.
adams.jpg
the adams. although its a dry trout fly, tied on a no 10 or 12 dry fly hook, this can be excellent for bluegill fly as well as a bass fly as it has an almost perfect profile of a fly. also simple to tie.
bluegill.jpg
the ep bluegill. not really hard to tie, but slightly time consuming if youre starting out, this is excellent for those bigger bass, especially if the topwater bite has slowed down, you can weight these accordingly to get the fly to the proper depth where the larger bass are sure to lurk.
On the Guad
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by On the Guad »

jimithing wrote:heres a few that ive been hammering fish at ponds and streams with both bluegill and bass...
deer hair frog.jpg
deer hair chugger/pooper style frog. easy to tie and very effectice, also weedless so you can throw in grass, lilly pads, and even on rocks.
adams.jpg
the adams. although its a dry trout fly, tied on a no 10 or 12 dry fly hook, this can be excellent for bluegill fly as well as a bass fly as it has an almost perfect profile of a fly. also simple to tie.
bluegill.jpg
the ep bluegill. not really hard to tie, but slightly time consuming if youre starting out, this is excellent for those bigger bass, especially if the topwater bite has slowed down, you can weight these accordingly to get the fly to the proper depth where the larger bass are sure to lurk.
Nice looking work.