WS Tarpon 140 leaking hatch issue

bsmith26

WS Tarpon 140 leaking hatch issue

Post by bsmith26 »

Shortly after purchasing my new tarpon 140 I noticed the hull took on a little water, which was frustrating because I assumed it would stay completely dry. I figured it was no big deal; I will just keep my stuff in a dry bag. Well after taking it offshore for the first time, I discovered this is a major problem. I took on about 1-2 gallons of water in the hull just from paddling through some small white caps on a calm day. I put the boat on sawhorses when I got home and filled it up with water. No leak on the hull or seams. Flipped it over with the hatches closed and locked….water poured out of them. Not cool. Apparently this is a common problem with the new orbix hatches on the wilderness system kayaks. I’m going to try to place some weather stripping around the seal to see if that helps keep out the water.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: WS Tarpon 140 leaking hatch issue

Post by M T Stringer »

The front hatch on my '09 Tarpon leaks a bit as well. I don't think I have taken on as much water as you, but yes, I have noticed that the seals aren't watertight.

You have the right plan: Look at some different/additional foam strips or weather stripping type foam to either replace or add to the original. My opinion is that the original strip isn't long or thick enough :shock: and leaves an open gap where the water enters.
bsmith26

Post by bsmith26 »

I did notice the .5in gap in the foam strip. I really don’t think the weak little foam strip in place does very much of anything.
biertrog

Post by biertrog »

I've had my 140 for two years now and its literally dry as a bone inside, the orbix hatches seal tight and it doesn't matter if waves come across the bow or during washing with the hose or at the car wash. I would contact the dealer you bought it from and make a warranty claim before messing with it.
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

biertrog wrote:I've had my 140 for two years now and its literally dry as a bone inside, the orbix hatches seal tight and it doesn't matter if waves come across the bow or during washing with the hose or at the car wash. I would contact the dealer you bought it from and make a warranty claim before messing with it.
X2

Also, did you fill the boat up PAST the waterline? Reason I ask is because I was taking on water as well, and I too thought that it was because of the hatches. Turned out I had a small crack on one of the tankwell scupper holes
bsmith26

Post by bsmith26 »

I filled the boat with water up to the opening of the middle orbix hatch. I did contact Austin Canoe and Kayak, they told me to bring them the boat and they would look at it to decide if the hatches need to be replaced. It is a good drive up there but I may just go ahead and take it in Saturday.
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

Anyone know where I can buy replacement strips for the front orbix hatch. Mine is starting to wear out, and can't find anything on Wilderness website out replacement gaskets.. ACK just has the entire hatch.