Homemade Rudder

Elite13

Homemade Rudder

Post by Elite13 »

Im thinking about putting a rudder on my Cobra Navigator. I havent seen one on this kayak before. Im going to be building homemade. Any ideas or pics of rudders you guys have built
sbfirekid

Re: Homemade Rudder

Post by sbfirekid »

I am looking to do the same on my fish n dive let me know if you find something that works and I will do the same
Texas80

Post by Texas80 »

Here is a few pics of mine I made , but its on a different kayak (Pescador). It steers, raises, and lowers , just like a factory rudder. If you have any questions PM me.
Attachments
rudder3.jpg
rudder3.jpg (73.05 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
rudder2.jpg
rudder2.jpg (68.03 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
rudder1.jpg
rudder1.jpg (68.77 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

Texas80 wrote:Here is a few pics of mine I made , but its on a different kayak (Pescador). It steers, raises, and lowers , just like a factory rudder. If you have any questions PM me.
Looks good. Do you have plans that you can send me?
trouttracker
Location: Lake Jackson , TX. ACK Wilderness Systems Ambassador

Post by trouttracker »

I would like to get a set of plans also
Texas80

Post by Texas80 »

I dont really have a set of plans , I just got a couple of pics from the internet , then just started coming up with what would work (trial and error). I could give you some basic deminsions , but it may not work for your yak.
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

I have the same yak.
hardyf

Post by hardyf »

What kind of material did you make that with? It looks great and just what I had in mind, but I am stumped on the material side?

Tks
Texas80

Post by Texas80 »

hardyf wrote:What kind of material did you make that with? It looks great and just what I had in mind, but I am stumped on the material side?

Tks
Its all made from Aluminum that I cut out with jigsaw , with stainless hardware. If you need any more info Pm me I'll be happy to help.
yellorover

Post by yellorover »

Texas80 wrote:
hardyf wrote:What kind of material did you make that with? It looks great and just what I had in mind, but I am stumped on the material side?

Tks
Its all made from Aluminum that I cut out with jigsaw , with stainless hardware. If you need any more info Pm me I'll be happy to help.
Can you send me some info ? I am new here and guess newbs can not send pms. I just picked up my new Majic 14.5 and have started rigging it up.

thanks for the help
Iyakalot

Post by Iyakalot »

Wow, Texas80. I liked my rudder system a lot better before I saw yours. Mine definitely needs at least a paint job. You might incorporate a couple ideas from my system into yours. Here's a pic in the up position.
PICT0002.JPG
I use a bungie cord to keep it in the up position until I want it down. Then it only takes the movement of one cord to lower the unit, as follows:
PICT0006.JPG
Another idea incorporated was the use of a "stiff" steering system. I used fiberglass tent poles cut to size and placed on ONE SIDE ONLY of the pivot. Then a stiff rod attached to a pulley system on one side of the kayak to turn it both ways.
PICT0010.JPG
The advantage of the stiff steering system is the small pulley system required. I opted for a larger rudder for the addition of a small sail. I used the rudder in the bay and in the Gulf a short distance and it worked great with a large umbrella. The rudder also helped keep me pointed in the desired direction when anchored. I broke the bottom of the rudder off loading it onto the Jeep.