TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Camping - Helpful Hints

Post by Hirsch »

DSC00874[1].JPG
DSC00874[1].JPG (14.47 KiB) Viewed 46004 times
Shadow_Fox

Post by Shadow_Fox »

Anyone know of any good places around San Antonio that I could go Kayak camping. I am in Afghanistan but working on a master plan for when I get home. :) If prior planning prevents piss poor performance and I have a year this ought to be one outstanding trip.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

Morgans Campground in Junction on the South Llano River ..... great place :D
Shadow_Fox

Post by Shadow_Fox »

TD thanks for the information, I will look that up :D
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

http://www.morganshadypark.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malibu_X

Post by Malibu_X »

Lollipop wrote:
coloradontexas wrote:anyone got pictures of their yak loaded for camping? Would love to see how ya'll are doin it.
I do not have photos of my kayak loaded and on the water, but I have photos of two companions who joined me for a trip on Boquillas Canyon. We had agreed to each take not more than 76 pounds of gear. That included 3 gallons of water each (25 pounds). When we showed up at the launch site, one of the participants, an avid backpacker, showed up with what he described as a little more than 76 pounds of gear. The other gentleman packed most of his gear neatly in his sit inside.

Lollipop
Oh man, I think I cried alittle I was laughing so hard! How much weight can his yak hold? And did he ever think of it being top heavy!?! Great post! And great thread!
Shadow_Fox

Post by Shadow_Fox »

Hey TD, did you ever try Canyon Lake? My wife is working out there and says she see all kinds of kayaks coming in. No honey I don't mind taking you to work today just let me grab a thing or two....
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

Shadow_Fox wrote:Hey TD, did you ever try Canyon Lake? My wife is working out there and says she see all kinds of kayaks coming in. No honey I don't mind taking you to work today just let me grab a thing or two....

No I haven't ...... since i live on the beach I tend to enjoy rivers or streams more than large lakes when I leave the beach but since I never have been I guess that I should :wink:
Shadow_Fox

Post by Shadow_Fox »

TD,
There are some real nice put ins north of the lake, so you can put in up north ride the river back tothe lake and then ride another river out of the lake south. It will tie into the route that is used for the Texas Safari. I have not been out there yet (stuck in Afghanistan) but I have looked at several web sites and post as well as google earth and it looks like it could be alot of fun. My wife works up there and says the lake is nice just the trees are pushed back from the bank some. No honey I don't mind taking you to work just let me grab a thing or two before we leave. :) :D
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

Shadow_Fox wrote:TD,
There are some real nice put ins north of the lake, so you can put in up north ride the river back tothe lake and then ride another river out of the lake south. It will tie into the route that is used for the Texas Safari. I have not been out there yet (stuck in Afghanistan) but I have looked at several web sites and post as well as google earth and it looks like it could be alot of fun. My wife works up there and says the lake is nice just the trees are pushed back from the bank some. No honey I don't mind taking you to work just let me grab a thing or two before we leave. :) :D

I'll have to check into that .... sounds like a good trip :wink:
generalnotes

Post by generalnotes »

This is a really nice thread! Lots of great info here. I'd like to add a couple of my favorite items to have while beach camping. First, I like to bring Baby Powder. when turning in for the night, just sprinkle some on and all the sand will just fall off! Makes for a much more comfortable night, plus you'll smell pretty! :wink: Next, I must have a "peecan". Anything to keep from dragging my old rear out of the tent in the middle of the night. Just be sure what ever you use has a leekproof lid. Gatorade bottles seem to work well. Last, a shovel is very nice to have.
4-11 028.jpg
Shadow_Fox wrote:Hey TD, did you ever try Canyon Lake? My wife is working out there and says she see all kinds of kayaks coming in. No honey I don't mind taking you to work today just let me grab a thing or two....
Junior2308

Post by Junior2308 »

I Live in New Braunfels and make a trip out there 3 times a month. Its very low due to the drought, Alot less boats more kayaks this year then years past.
ehhpic

Post by ehhpic »

My new found passion- taking the FJ and the yaks out camping!

this was this last weekend at PINS- Padre Island National Seashore, one of the most desolate strips of beach left in the US.

GREAT Shark fishing!

I really over-packed but I know what to leave home next time!
Attachments
PINS- Camping
PINS- Camping
eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

ehhpic wrote:My new found passion- taking the FJ and the yaks out camping!

this was this last weekend at PINS- Padre Island National Seashore, one of the most desolate strips of beach left in the US.

GREAT Shark fishing!

I've been thinking about taking the truck out there now that I've got the BFG A/T tires on it and camping since I live in Corpus, but the wife insists that it's not safe out there and there are some unsavory folks. Did you have any issues?

I'm thinking about getting a truck tent to be off the ground.
Grant.UNT

Post by Grant.UNT »

milret wrote:Thats why I got a Tent Cot. Off the ground, high and dry. Snug as a bug in a rug.
I second this idea, but add a self inflating cot mattress. super functional and convenient.
t100

Post by t100 »

Helpful tip on packing sleeping bags and tents. For the sleeping bag, just start at the foot of the bag and stuff in the compression sack. Tent, put poles and stakes in bag, then stuff in bag. Watched a YouTube video and that's what the guy was saying to save time. Supposedly on the tent, it helps not to ruin the water seal on the tent from prolonged creasing in the same spots that result from folding in the same spots.
t100

Post by t100 »

coloradontexas wrote:anyone got pictures of their yak loaded for camping? Would love to see how ya'll are doin it.
I know this is a old post, here ya go!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362067049.789675.jpg
Here is a pic from a river trip down the Colorado a few years ago.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362067049.789675.jpg
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362066977.874224.jpg
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

I was going to sell my Tahiti but decided to hang on to it to be used as my River Trailer. Without the seat there is a lot of room for ice chest, tent & sleeping bag, chair etc.etc. and the weight would be low so very stable. I also have a skeg for the rear so it tracks pretty dang good and being inflatable has very little drag. Just have to bring a good patch kit in case.
A simple twist apart pvc "A" frame and a tarp over the beached Tahiti .. throw in a sleeping bag and off to wonderland. Guess you could call it a RiverCamper .. :lol:
Course if theres skeeters it might be better to have the backpack tent handy. :mrgreen:

limbwalker

Post by limbwalker »

ehhpic wrote:My new found passion- taking the FJ and the yaks out camping!

GREAT Shark fishing!

Great attitude!

Love that rig, and like you, I love the remote part of PINS. Glad we have it here in Texas.
aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

Brasos wrote:A space saving technique I use is breaking eggs into a Nalgene bottle - it will hold 18 eggs.
This.Is.Awesome!

I have 3 quart nalgene bottle that get used for water. One that is my whiskey bottle. Never thought about putting eggs in one. Genius.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to camping and since I focus on fishing, I try to keep my weight and gear down and limit it to bare necessities.

Mess kit- essential, I actually still use a steel WWII mess kit that holds my fire starters, spork, q tips, hand soap and mini-gold bond and steel wool, a small fold of foil and tic-tac containers of selected spices.
Tent and stakes, a small "2 man" (1 full grown man diagonal) Slumberjack tent w/ rain fly. Tent and fly in a small dry bag, stakes in their own bag.
Sleeping bag and hoodie go in a separate dry bag. I don't bring the sleeping bag if it's hot. I also bring a self-inflating pad. Hoodie is for cool nights and doubles as a pillow when crammed in my tent bag.
2 specific Plano tackle boxes, 3 rods (1 Med spinning, 1 Med-Heavy bait casting, 1 fly rod).
Always on kayak: Camelback- holds 1 gallon of water and 1 put 1 gallon jug in my kayak. I also have a filter and iodine tablets on some longer trips. Hog trough. Net. PFD (radio, compass, whistle, knife, headlamp).
Small cooler for cold drinks and food (depending on trip length).
Waders if it's cold. Shotgun if I intend to also bird hunt. Sometimes I'll bring a small backpacking propane stove.

All camping specific gear fits in my kayak. All fishing specific gear (and shotgun) usually stay above deck.

I purposefully abstain from a stool (because my kayak has a removable seat or I'll sit on a log or the ground and lean against a log). I never bring a hatchet because my fires tend to be small and wood can be burnt from the ends towards the center of the fire.
BigEd313

Post by BigEd313 »

From my many yers of back country travel from backpacking sections the on the appalachian trail to snowshoeing in the Sierra Nevadas and everything in between, I have found a few things almost indispensable.

-Accessory cord (3mm or paracord): pre cut lengths, I usually have roughly 10 each of 10' and 20' with a couple 50' sections.
-Duct tape you can roll your desired length or even buy backpacker/camping rolls that are smaller to save space and weight
-Spare tarp, just in case
-Never set up a tent without a ground sheet, it's keep you from getting soaked in a downpour
-Fire Starter, the best thing I ever uesd was petrolium jelly soaked cotton balls, back in the film camera days we would stuff them into the empty 35mm film canisters but any small sealable container works great. Another great fire starter is to take the lint from the lint trap in the clothes dryer and stuff it into toliet paper roll, a few of those in a ziplock bag and you are good for the trip.
-Speaking of zip locks, I put each days clothes (usually silk or mid weight thermals and fresh socks) in a large freezer bag and squeez the air out. It saves space and helps to stay organized, if you pack at sea level and travel to the mountains you will have to squeeze the air out again because the alititude pressure will be lower allowing the bags to expand.
-Safety pins
-Large sewing needles and dental floss, you can stitch up everything from a tent to boots to a laceration. Withe the use of liquid stitch you probably won't need to stich a laceration though
-Anbesol, can numb anything that hurts, wouldn't put it on a burn though.
-Quik clot, this is a preference thing, I like to have it but some may not think it's necessary. I just like to be prepared for the what if's
-Quik clot brings up the MedKit, have on that covers ANY potential emergency. If you do not know how to use it then you might as well leave it at home. Really though, you need to have one and be capable of rendering aid to anyone (or yourself).
-Water filtration, you just never know
-a Knife, a sharp knife. A second sharp knife and if the weight isn't an issue a third sharp knife. (many times backpacking I carried a quality primary folder and a secondary small folder in the pack)
-Flashlight, a good quality flashlight like Nightcore, Fenix or any of the good quality led torches out there. Take a spare flashlight, always. Take twice as many batteries as you think you'll need (all mine take the same battery so I don't have to take a bunch of different sizeds)
-Headlamp and a spare if you can. I usually don't take a spare headlamp but I know plenty that do, I just use a flashlight is the headlanp is lost or malfunctions.
-Rain gear, doesn't matter if the forecast says high and dry, you never know. even a heavy fog can make you hypothermic in the right conditions
-insulaton- even some summer nights can cause a chill if there is a breezs and some moisture in the air, I always have at least a micro fleece zip tee with me.

I have a million more but I'll stop since I'm sure some are already thinking this is overkill for a kayak trip. I wll say this, I don't take everything on every trip, there are things that go no matter what like the a complete first aid/minor trauma kit, water filtration, 2 knives, lights and a few others. I tailor the necessities to the trip and build around that, hope this helps.
Dmax

Post by Dmax »

For a lantern that works around camp and in the tent that we use, is the Luci light.
Solar powered
Light weight, packs small
Inexpensive

Sleeping mat, (car camping is different)
Klymit Static V - blows up with minimal breaths. Packs super small. Edges are made so you don't roll off

Tent
LightHeartGear Duo
Packs small, light weight 2 lbs for a two person tent
Great awning
Can be put in screen mode or storm mode or anywhere in between.

Chair
REI FlexLite
Comfortable packs small
BuideJouck

Post by BuideJouck »

Very helpful tips!
:clap: