BTB LEADERS

goodwood

Re: BTB LEADERS

Post by goodwood »

I really like the kingfish rig. What kind of lure is that?
RATHERbFISHIN

Post by RATHERbFISHIN »

thank you
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

goodwood wrote:I really like the kingfish rig. What kind of lure is that?
That's a Yozuri Crystal Minnow. I prefer trolling the Squid / Drone Spoons when the fish aren't visible on the surface, the 5-6" inch size, if I remember correctly they're the #2 size. For topwater casting the Rapala Skitter Pop was my favorite this summer, the Kings and Sharks destroyed them! Kingfish will hit almost any lure, you just have to find your faviorite.
Redyaker

Post by Redyaker »

I just bought the tool and the materials to make redfish and shark leaders. I noticed on one of the pics on this topic that you have a short piece of 300 lb monofilament then a swivel and then the wire leader to the hook. Why not just have the wire leader all the way?
Redyaker

Post by Redyaker »

I just bought the tool and the materials to make redfish and shark leaders. I noticed on one of the pics on this topic that you have a short piece of 300 lb monofilament then a swivel and then the wire leader to the hook. Why not just have the wire leader all the way?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Redyaker wrote:I just bought the tool and the materials to make redfish and shark leaders. I noticed on one of the pics on this topic that you have a short piece of 300 lb monofilament then a swivel and then the wire leader to the hook. Why not just have the wire leader all the way?
Actually, this year, I went to 400 lb mono (with no steel/wire) and never had one minutes problem catching sharks. I had only one chew thru the mono and that was in the past 3 weeks and it was a 3' shark and caught on 200 lb mono. I think by lifting it I someway put pressure on it to where it broke.

For me, mono is sure easier to work with and easier to cut when I release the shark.
Redyaker

Post by Redyaker »

thanks Mythman.......I'll try the 400mono
captnjerry

Post by captnjerry »

thanks this is good stuff. I got the rigging now I need to get to crimping and tying.
captnjerry

Post by captnjerry »

Mythman wrote:
Redyaker wrote:I just bought the tool and the materials to make redfish and shark leaders. I noticed on one of the pics on this topic that you have a short piece of 300 lb monofilament then a swivel and then the wire leader to the hook. Why not just have the wire leader all the way?
Actually, this year, I went to 400 lb mono (with no steel/wire) and never had one minutes problem catching sharks. I had only one chew thru the mono and that was in the past 3 weeks and it was a 3' shark and caught on 200 lb mono. I think by lifting it I someway put pressure on it to where it broke. yup that was it I had an old salt jump my gass one time for grabbing that momo leader. wont do that again. I wana start using mono more to but not sure if thats good with the kings.

For me, mono is sure easier to work with and easier to cut when I release the shark.
captnjerry

Post by captnjerry »

captnjerry wrote:
Mythman wrote:
Actually, this year, I went to 400 lb mono (with no steel/wire) and never had one minutes problem catching sharks. I had only one chew thru the mono and that was in the past 3 weeks and it was a 3' shark and caught on 200 lb mono. I think by lifting it I someway put pressure on it to where it broke. yup that was it I had an old salt jump my gass one time for grabbing that momo leader. wont do that again. I wana start using mono more to but not sure if thats good with the kings.

whoops.
bass-a-holic

Post by bass-a-holic »

Anyone have opinions on the sleeves themselves?

Aluminum vs copper? Single vs Double barrel?

Which would you use with wire? What about mono?
jlazcano

Post by jlazcano »

Excellent post... learnt a lot and really enjoyed it!
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

Since we're in the middle of the fall drum run I'll add this light tackle alternative. On the last couple of trips I've taken the Bay rods and tied a smaller circle hook (Owner 8 - 10/0) to a 50lb mono leader joined directly to the main line. The low profile baitcast / spinning reels have no bait clicker, so you have to leave the reel engaged and hold on tight until a fish takes the bait. Couple of weeks ago I had the enjoyment of reeling in a ~40"+ Bull Red and 4.5' Blacktip Shark (50lb leader didn't break -- lucky!) using light tackle. Also, you might try using some soft plastics / Gulp on your light tackle while soaking the big baits. Change it up and have fun!
Razzorduck

Post by Razzorduck »

Crazy Yak wrote:Since we're in the middle of the fall drum run I'll add this light tackle alternative. On the last couple of trips I've taken the Bay rods and tied a smaller circle hook (Owner 8 - 10/0) to a 50lb mono leader joined directly to the main line. The low profile baitcast / spinning reels have no bait clicker, so you have to leave the reel engaged and hold on tight until a fish takes the bait. Couple of weeks ago I had the enjoyment of reeling in a ~40"+ Bull Red and 4.5' Blacktip Shark (50lb leader didn't break -- lucky!) using light tackle. Also, you might try using some soft plastics / Gulp on your light tackle while soaking the big baits. Change it up and have fun!
+1
I also have downsized to 60lb leader and 8/0 gamgatsu circle hooks. I also bend down the barbs on all my hooks. This makes the release so much easier on me and the fish. When sharks are present I add about 6" wire and have had no problems at all other than gafftops lol. and the occational deep hooks. I've found that leaving the reel engaged on a med-light drag results in fewer deep hooks. Usually when a Red eats he eats and no need for a long count before coming tight. I think 90 % of the drops after a short run are pup sharks and slimers anyway. Of course this is just my 2 cents worth.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

Razzorduck's reply brings up a good point (fishing related pun intended!). If you are downsizing your hooks I've notice the % of hookups are better when leaving the reel engaged (better have those rod holders bolted in though). When the fish are swallowing hooks engaging the reel is a preventative measure to protect the fish, the almost always get hooked in the mouth using this method.

Also, since most of us will be using Blue Crab for bait through the winter months, make sure you size your hooks to the bait you're using. Using the smaller hooks with larger baits will result in a few missed fish. If you continue with the downsized hooks rig the bait with the hook point exposed as much as possible.
Razzorduck

Post by Razzorduck »

Also, since most of us will be using Blue Crab for bait through the winter months, make sure you size your hooks to the bait you're using. Using the smaller hooks with larger baits will result in a few missed fish. If you continue with the downsized hooks rig the bait with the hook GAP exposed as much as possible.[/quote]
Fixed it for ya! :)
Always leave the gap between the point and the shank open so the hook will rotate into the jaw.
=FISHINATOR=

Post by =FISHINATOR= »

thanks for post ill have to rig up some leaders
rakempe

Post by rakempe »

Thanks! I wondered how to make my own.
goneYAKcrazy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: cypress, tx / coles crossing 2011 Hobie Pro Angler, fully customized by gYc Boatwerkz

Post by goneYAKcrazy »

ok fellas, its getting close to King season and i was wondering about leaders for top waters or lures. do you use wire for these apps or just tie em on the braid? i have some wire leaders made up for kingfish but that for throwing ribbonfish or the likes
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

goneYAKcrazy wrote:ok fellas, its getting close to King season and i was wondering about leaders for top waters or lures. do you use wire for these apps or just tie em on the braid? i have some wire leaders made up for kingfish but that for throwing ribbonfish or the likes
You will need wire for Kings and Smacks and sometimes for Jacks............and don't forget the sharks!!!
goneYAKcrazy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: cypress, tx / coles crossing 2011 Hobie Pro Angler, fully customized by gYc Boatwerkz

Post by goneYAKcrazy »

Mike, im def going to have to come by and let you "teach" me how or what to do for these leaders...i know from fishing waaayayyyyy offshore that Kings have alot of teeth....i figured that the Smacks did too as they are a mackerel as well.....as far as the sharks....you can have em all.....i dont really care to catch them because they wont fit in the ice chest and way too much work to "bleed" them out and deal with them

Smacks, Kings, Lings, bring em......Jacks......ive never eaten but i cant imagine that they are any good.....

Also, do you know if any Dorados (mahi mahi, dolphin) are ever caught down off PINS or Corpus?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

goneYAKcrazy wrote:Mike, im def going to have to come by and let you "teach" me how or what to do for these leaders...i know from fishing waaayayyyyy offshore that Kings have alot of teeth....i figured that the Smacks did too as they are a mackerel as well.....as far as the sharks....you can have em all.....i dont really care to catch them because they wont fit in the ice chest and way too much work to "bleed" them out and deal with them

Smacks, Kings, Lings, bring em......Jacks......ive never eaten but i cant imagine that they are any good.....

Also, do you know if any Dorados (mahi mahi, dolphin) are ever caught down off PINS or Corpus?
J, it's not that you will target sharks but they will hit the same lures and baits you hang out there for the other fish (Look at Wolfman's avatar........shark with a lure in his mouth).

Jacks are no good for human consumption , but good shark bait.

Again, it isn't what you are targeting, but what hits your lure or bait..............might be anything you never know for sure, until you start bringing it in to the Yak.
goneYAKcrazy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by goneYAKcrazy »

Gotcha buddy, i figured that this was the case and thats why i want to be prepared....Ive never had Smacks either but i hear that they are good eating??? like i said, ive got some ribbonfish rigs and plan on getting a box or two of these when we go out but i was also wondering if anyone ever did any saiki jigging for bait....if so, the livewell will work great to keep them

im sure that you are an old pro at the "malin twist" or haywire? again....def need to swing by and get a "eyewitness" look at some leaders instead of trying to decipher the pics....

hopefully this wind will die down so that we can get out there.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

Sure, swing by anytime..............but I am not that good at "Haywire Twists".............but I got a little tool that helps.

I fished with a bill fish guide that could make a perfect "Haywire Twist" by hand while battling 5-8' seas.............impressive! :clap: :clap:
alwaysstuck

Post by alwaysstuck »

So i got all of my stuff for the leaders and made about 30 and one problem i am having so far is rigidness in the 200lb mono, First part is where i connected the hook, it seems like the hook gets wedged and kind of caught, us not free hanging, solutions? Second is the leader, about 3-4ft, keeps its memory from the spool and stays slinky like, not hanging straight even with a large piece of cut mullet on it. Is this even a problem and if so, solution?

Last problem, for now..... With e 14size hooks, going for bull reds, i made some with the barb smashed so it was easier to unhook, but it seemed like the cut mullet and bait in general slipped off easily, didnt seem to do the same with the barb, worth it or solutions? Thanks again for the help