TKF 1000 Club

Sabine River Trip Report

Post by Earl »

2011 Sabine River Trip Report March 18, 2011

Put in: Hwy 59, North of Carthage, Texas
Take out: FM2517, Southeast of Carthage, Texas
Distance Paddled: 31 miles

Mar 18, 2011
Along on this trip is Jacob, myself and Ben my 10yr old Dachshund. This is the first time on this river since I was a boy. We got up early and started driving to East Texas. We stopped at a Denny’s for a good breakfast about 20 miles West of Hwy 59. We got to the ramp at Hwy 59 about 8am and started unloading. Bryan Jackson from DDRC showed up a bit after 9am and then Gene, Tom and Charlene also from DDRC arrived. We got our shuttles run downriver and all got on the water about 11am. It was not long before we started pulling in some small white bass. We were all taking our time and fishing along the way. This river is a slow flat water paddle with the river making many bends. About 2-3 miles downriver we came to a shoal that was about a 2 foot drop off. There were a lot of folks fishing there. We all pulled our boats over the shoal and then beached them. I stood in the river catching large white bass one after another from a hole just down from the shoal. I really enjoy wading in a river and following the fish as they move around in those holes. Jake was busy studying the geology of this little formation. He discovered that the shoal seemed to be made of a soft and hard black material then found several chunks of coal in the bottom of the river. I stopped fishing so we could manage some lunch then we went on our way downriver. We paddled about 2-3 miles past the FM1794 bridge and made camp on one of many sandbars along the rivers edge. I had picked up about 20 nice white bass during the day and started cleaning fish. Once camp was made I got dinner going for Jake. He wanted a dried meal (Fettuccine Alfredo) and I was having fish. Jake managed to get the fire lit with my fire steel and some dried grass. He quickly learned why you need to have all of your kindling ready to go when you sit down to make fire. It burned up on him right away and nearly went out due to not getting enough fuel on it to start and get hot. He managed to scurry around and keep it going. He also got to see that his coal he picked up earlier in the day burned quite well once the fire was hot. After dinner we sat by the fire for a bit and Jake crawled in the tent and I grabbed my bag and went by the fire.

Mar 19, 2011
I got up at my normal 4:30 and revived the fire and made some coffee. There was a very heavy dew and my bag was soaked and the moon was in full force. The owls were busy up and down the river and large fish or beaver were constantly causing stirs in the river. After a couple of hours the moon set and the Cardinals began to sing to the start of a new day. I got Jake up about 7 and made some omelets then we packed up and were on the river by 8:30. Once again taking our time fishing early I caught 20-25 fish and kept 3 for dinner. I am amazed at how there are no rocks in this river it is all sand. For the Indians that used to call this home I am sure that a flint rock or any hard rock would have been a real prize. We would paddle through stretches of pines then back to hardwoods with a sandbar at every bend. About 10am Jake spotted a coyote running along the river bank right toward us. We kept quite and still and then he finally saw us and took off into the trees. We made a few comments about it and then here comes another one following the same path with his nose to the ground. He got up right besides be before he realized I was there and Ben started barking at him. I thought Ben was going to jump off of the yak and go after that Coyote. We paddled until about 3:30 which was about 2 miles past the HWY 79 bridge, about 15 miles for the day. Jake was a real trooper and paddled it all but he was tired. About 5pm another DDRC member who put in at FM1794 caught up to us (Richard Lind). I made Jake the dried Beef Stroganoff and I had fish and potatoes. I gathered up some fire kindling and some dry grass along with some larger logs for the fire. One stroke of my fire steel into the dry grass covered with small kindling and that fire took off like you had put gas on it. Jake ate his dinner and went right to bed again. I made my way to the fire and slept until about 2:30 when the roar of Richard the Sabine king of snore woke me up. You could not get far enough away for any peace and me being such a light sleeper it was all over. About 4am I heard something swimming across the river toward the far end of our sandbar. I walked down there and there were 5-6 hogs getting out just as I got there. I was downwind about 100ft and stood still. The moon was very bright and you could see very well. They never saw me and they just moseyed on up into the forest.

March 20, 2011
I sat in my chair and had some coffee and waited for daylight to get Jake up for an omelet. We picked up camp and were on the river by 8am. It was a nice crisp morning with a little touch of river fog. I did not fish much and we paddled pretty solid for 2 hours. Along the way we did come along some pretty stands of pines and some shale out cropping against the rivers edges with many seeping water into the river. We also spotted an otter having some breakfast on a log in the river. He was a bit camera shy. We arrived at our take out at FM2517 about 11:20. I got us loaded up and then Brian arrived. We got his stuff carried to the top of the ramp and then loaded him, Richard and Charlene in my truck and drove them back up to HWY 59 to pick up their vehicles.

This was a nice leisurely paddle and I very much enjoy going some place new. I will be back for more along this river and think it would be great to paddle for a week or so on into Toledo Bend Reservoir then take out on the south end of the lake somewhere.

Here are a few pictures of our tour.

See you on the water,

Earl

Jake Making a Wake

First nights camp

Gene

Second nights camp

daveg99
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Sabine River Trip Report

Post by daveg99 »

Reminds me a lot of the rivers in Florida. No rocks and lots of sand. Plus the stained water. Did you guys see any alligators? I would like to try out that trip.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Interesting report and good pics...........I enjoyed, thanks for sharing!!! :clap: :clap:
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by CityByTheSeaCitizen »

Nice report.

There are very few rocks in that area, but there is tons of petrified wood. Most has been scavenged by now, but after grading local roads there is lots to be found. Almost all of the native Caddo tools were made from petrified wood.

Did the white bass still have eggs? We were planning to go to black shoals (which you mentioned) this week, but I am afraid we missed the best of the WB run.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Did not see any alligators but was looking for them on those sunny days. I glad we did not since I told Jake there were not any on that part of the river.

The white bass still had eggs and were hitting almost anything. The males out numbered the females 4-5 to one. The river is very low and think the run would have been a lot better if there had been more rain in the weeks prior.

Earl
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Nice report and photos! :clap:
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Great report that Jake is one lil Trooper
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Great pics and report. I need to go do the Sabine some day.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

I really enjoy reading these river trip reports and getting a sneak peak at the fun!!!!! Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing. :D
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Tough group. I don't see waders on anyone. Am I that much of a pansy? I was going to wear waders this week when I go.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

I waded thigh deep or higher for an hour at a time and did not think it was that cold. Of course my wife says I am just plum nuts when it comes to that kind of stuff. I did see one of our guys wearing a wet suit though. My 2 cents is that it is not cold enough for waders or a wet suit. Wished I could get back out there but got domestic obligations. Have fun and send us a report.

Earl
davethered

Post by davethered »

awesome!!! man that sounds like a lot fun
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

I waded every day as much as waist deep in the Colorado last week and never felt cold. I saw no one else use waders either.
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Took a quick 3 hour trip below denison dam last night w/o waders. My ankles quickly went numb, and it wasn't so bad. I'm gonna tough it out Thursday on the Sabine, but only to prove I am macho.
KVDwannabe

Post by KVDwannabe »

Fantastic report, I can't wait to do the same! Although, I doubt I'll be up as early as you!
kornmeal

Post by kornmeal »

:P nice report, makes me want to take the fam on a river trip today. Thanks again
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Went to the sabine last Thursday as promised. The water was comfortable with no waders. We launched at SH 43, just north of Tatum. Two of us caught 2 white bass and a few channel cats. That section of the river is pretty shallow. We only went 3-4 miles downriver, and we only saw a few places where the water was +8' deep.

All of the female white bass were spawned out.
On the Guad
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by On the Guad »

Thanks for sharing Earl. Nice report to read. I wish I would have found kayaking when the kids were younger. Harder to scheldule now that they are older.