Time for TKF and PACK kayakers to make thier voice heard...

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Time for TKF and PACK kayakers to make thier voice heard...

Post by Kayak Kid »

Kayakrockport,

I absolutely respect your point of view and appreciate your sharing it. However, where your suggested conclusions miss the boat, in my opinion, is with the implication of the simple words, "Mandate" and "required (by law)".

To some, fishing by kayak is just another means to a fishy end. This, I am lead to believe, is what most folks believe who either use a kayak only for purposes of getting to their fishy grounds or, those who do not pursue the 'way of the kayak'. As such, there are many who believe that kayaks should be subject to the same rules as are power boats.

I've been in love with kayaks for the past sixty years. I've owned and paddled my share, and since retiring, I've replaced my passion for work with a passion for kayaking and kayak fishing. This doesn't make me an expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but it has placed me in proximity to a very large number of other kayakers.

Kayaking to most kayakers is all about freedom. The freedom to launch without restriction from any and every launch possibility that physically and legally permits it. Freedom from large monthly boat loan payments. Freedom to explore and cruise, at one's own pace, any body of water on which a kayak will float. Freedom from the confines of the smell, mess, and cost of petroleum based fuel. Freedom from costly maintenance. Freedom from launch constraints, and all that typically goes with that ludicrous week-end ritual.

And, the freedom to be 'butt-below-the-water-line" alone as one with the magnificence of nature, rather than simply an observer passing by on top of a noisy, smelly, platform. Kayaking is the essence of freedom, and when you suggest any restrictions to that freedom, you are tinkering with a beautiful etherial philosophy that really doesn't deserve to be messed with.
kayakrockport

Post by kayakrockport »

Kayak Kid wrote:Kayakrockport,

I absolutely respect your point of view and appreciate your sharing it. However, where your suggested conclusions miss the boat, in my opinion, is with the implication of the simple words, "Mandate" and "required (by law)".

To some, fishing by kayak is just another means to a fishy end. This, I am lead to believe, is what most folks believe who either use a kayak only for purposes of getting to their fishy grounds or, those who do not pursue the 'way of the kayak'. As such, there are many who believe that kayaks should be subject to the same rules as are power boats.

I've been in love with kayaks for the past sixty years. I've owned and paddled my share, and since retiring, I've replaced my passion for work with a passion for kayaking and kayak fishing. This doesn't make me an expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but it has placed me in proximity to a very large number of other kayakers.

Kayaking to most kayakers is all about freedom. The freedom to launch without restriction from any and every launch possibility that physically and legally permits it. Freedom from large monthly boat loan payments. Freedom to explore and cruise, at one's own pace, any body of water on which a kayak will float. Freedom from the confines of the smell, mess, and cost of petroleum based fuel. Freedom from costly maintenance. Freedom from launch constraints, and all that typically goes with that ludicrous week-end ritual.

And, the freedom to be 'butt-below-the-water-line" alone as one with the magnificence of nature, rather than simply an observer passing by on top of a noisy, smelly, platform. Kayaking is the essence of freedom, and when you suggest any restrictions to that freedom, you are tinkering with a beautiful etherial philosophy that really doesn't deserve to be messed with.
Very nicely written and you capture what so many of us love about paddling. I agree with you, mostly. I really do. The context of the editorial was the "Sharing and Conserving our Bays" workshop in Corpus a month ago, and some of the ideas that came out of that. The premise behind that workshop is that there are significant and growing user conflicts (which impinge on the freedom of users), particularly in the Coastal Bend. If that's not the case, then we can all shut up about this and go fish.

A number of solutions have been proposed, and mandatory education for all vessel operators was the one that received a greater level of majority approval than any other. It was also one of the least restrictive measures proposed that respected the rights of the greatest number. That would, of course, require some slight subjugation of personal freedom (the freedom not to do something, I guess -- kind of like giving up the freedom not to carry a PFD or a whistle) for the greater good. It's sort of the basis for civil society.

The bottom line is, my intent on the water doesn't much matter. Whether I'm there to be at one with the magnificence of nature or because I need to get from Point A to Point B, I'm still on the water, and I should know the rules of the road, the basics of navigation, how to save my own life should I capsize or a norther blow in, whatever. Otherwise I begin to impact others (other boaters, commercial vessels, other anglers, rescue agencies, my family and friends ....). And believe me, by sheer numbers (not to mention speed, weight and mobility), power boaters are the greatest offenders.

It would be terrific if everyone who got on the water had been raised in a tradition that imparted those lessons, or voluntarily sought instruction or somehow, by osmosis, figured it out. But clearly that doesn't happen often enough. Just sayin' ....
Kingz
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Kingz »

Kayak Kid wrote:...Kayaking to most kayakers is all about freedom. The freedom to launch without restriction from any and every launch possibility that physically and legally permits it. Freedom from large monthly boat loan payments. Freedom to explore and cruise, at one's own pace, any body of water on which a kayak will float. Freedom from the confines of the smell, mess, and cost of petroleum based fuel. Freedom from costly maintenance. Freedom from launch constraints, and all that typically goes with that ludicrous week-end ritual...
Very well said, thank you...G
double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by double dip »

Kayak Kid wrote: And, the freedom to be 'butt-below-the-water-line"
Just what are you trying to say!?!?!?!
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

double dip wrote:
Kayak Kid wrote: And, the freedom to be 'butt-below-the-water-line"
Just what are you trying to say!?!?!?!
Oh boy, double dip, I'm sooooooo sorry. I was trying to point out that most of us enjoy being in a craft that is low in the water and provides a close and personal view of all that is around us. I didn't mean to imply anything derogatory concerning you guys that prefer to get even closer to the water by occasionally falling out of your kayaks.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Kayakrockport,

I've read all the synopses of the Corpus meeting. The title, "Sharing and Conserving our Bays" was well thought out, however, I was very disappointed to hear that it became a discussion (albeit a respectful one) concerning the significant conflicts that have arisen between paddle craft and power boat proponents.

Why a conflict? Is there not damage being done to some of our grassy flats? Is this damage not being done by prop scars? What does the problem have to do with licensing kayaks or boating education?

We've needed power boat operators licensing in Texas for the past thirty or more years. There were many of us (power boaters at the time) who advocated through every possible means to promote such a state mandated education program. Our cries for reason were heard as was the wind on a deserted ocean. Why now, when a move is afoot to come to a reasonable conclusion on how to best preserve a harmed segment of our environment for all of us, was the subject brought up. Perhaps as a diversion to the real issue?

I ask that you consider why those who would carry a weapon must pass a stringent licensing/education proscess yet, those who do not choose to carry a weapon do not. Or, prehaps a better analogy would be to consider why the driver of an automobile is required by law to obtain a liscense before he can drive a car, while those who use the same roads on a bicycle are not.

Common sense and objectivity must eventually prevail, or we might just as well learn to whizz into the wind.
kayakrockport

Post by kayakrockport »

Kayak Kid wrote:Kayakrockport,

I've read all the synopses of the Corpus meeting. The title, "Sharing and Conserving our Bays" was well thought out, however, I was very disappointed to hear that it became a discussion (albeit a respectful one) concerning the significant conflicts that have arisen between paddle craft and power boat proponents.

Why a conflict?
You'd have to ask the organizers, but my guess is all the uneducated (or in some cases malicious) power boaters cutting off drifts and wades, nearly swamping kayaks, etc. And, on the other hand, the uneducated (or malicious) paddlers anchored in narrow channels, crossing the shrimp boat channel or Lydia Ann in front of privileged vessels ....
Kayak Kid wrote:Is there not damage being done to some of our grassy flats? Is this damage not being done by prop scars? What does the problem have to do with licensing kayaks or boating education?
Sure. And it has been addressed in some areas and in those areas the solution is working, at least to some extent.
Kayak Kid wrote:We've needed power boat operators licensing in Texas for the past thirty or more years. There were many of us (power boaters at the time) who advocated through every possible means to promote such a state mandated education program. Our cries for reason were heard as was the wind on a deserted ocean.

I encourage you not to give up. There may be some momentum behind that idea now. I would also encourage you to think about why vessels powered by means other than internal combustion engines should be exempted. After all, boater education is not premised on the amount of impact a vessel has on the environment.
Kayak Kid wrote:Why now, when a move is afoot to come to a reasonable conclusion on how to best preserve a harmed segment of our environment for all of us, was the subject brought up. Perhaps as a diversion to the real issue?
Boater education for all vessel operators is, in my view (and apparently in the view of 9/10ths of the workshop participants) a reasonable solution. If you are questioning my sincerity in talking about it, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Kayak Kid wrote:I ask that you consider why those who would carry a weapon must pass a stringent licensing/education proscess yet, those who do not choose to carry a weapon do not.
Beats me. My reading of the Constitution, and my understanding of the word "abridged," tells me I shouldn't have to.
Kayak Kid wrote:Or, prehaps a better analogy would be to consider why the driver of an automobile is required by law to obtain a liscense before he can drive a car, while those who use the same roads on a bicycle are not.
That is a better analogy and I don't have a complete answer to it. Best I can offer is that 1.) most people who use bikes on public roads have been using bikes since they were children and someone taught them how to ride and how to do it safely, and 2.) Most adults (the vast majority of public road cyclists) who use public roads have automobile drivers licenses -- which teach them nothing about operating a bicycle but a whole lot about who has right-of-way at a four-way intersection and which side of the road to ride on.
Kayak Kid wrote:Common sense and objectivity must eventually prevail.
One hopes .... Please feel free to email or PM if you'd like to continue the discussion.
cadruss2004
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cadruss2004 »

Ok I'm tired of this idiotic thread coming back so let's put it to rest.
1. Cap't. has his own selfish agenda or motives, so what as long as he ceases and desists from his imposing his idiocy on us.
2. Powerboaters pollute much more than we do. They deserve to pay for it too.
3. Everyone on this and other kayak fishing boards needs to write in to the head of the TPWD as well as your/our representatives at all levels to say not just no but H*** no to this/these proposals.
Now everyone may breath a sigh of relief that I've gotten this out of my system and am going to bed shortly. Gads I neeed to go fishing, soon!
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

cadruss2004 wrote:Ok I'm tired of this idiotic thread coming back so let's put it to rest.
1. Cap't. has his own selfish agenda or motives, so what as long as he ceases and desists from his imposing his idiocy on us.
2. Powerboaters pollute much more than we do. They deserve to pay for it too.
3. Everyone on this and other kayak fishing boards needs to write in to the head of the TPWD as well as your/our representatives at all levels to say not just no but H*** no to this/these proposals.
Now everyone may breath a sigh of relief that I've gotten this out of my system and am going to bed shortly. Gads I neeed to go fishing, soon!

(golf clap)

The question I have is how many of you have seen the bill that taxes pickups an extra 100 per year for that registration?
kayakrockport

Post by kayakrockport »

troutamer wrote:Ok Texans. Quick question. Noboby has shown me nor have I seen any recordable kayak injuries or deaths. Show me a reason to pay! Im sure there are incidents but 1 and a million won't cut it. Anyone?
Per TPWD/USCG: 22 fatalities and 12 serious injuries to boaters using kayaks and canoes in Texas between 2007 and 2010. It's almost impossible to do the math since we don't know how many kayaks and canoes there are in Texas, but it may work out to a higher fatality rate (deaths per 100,000 vessels) than for power boaters.
Izzy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Izzy »

More regulations.....more taxes.....more buracracy.....NO THANK YOU! Take your seat at the table and shove it. I can't stand all these wannabe do-gooders that know what is best for the rest of us. Save us from ourselves.....save your breath! You want to live in a nanny state move your azz to Cuba! As for me and my friends we cherish our freedom that our kayaking affords us. Stay out of our wallets....you want paddle trails, you pay for them. Donate your GD money, stay the hell away from mine. We are already over taxed as a society.... it feels as though we are living in a soft tyranny....slaves to the state. And you just want to make it worse. You want to take something that is so simple and pleasurable as paddling a kayak and pervert it with regulation. If ever the day comes that we have to register our kayaks not only will I not continue to pruchase a fishing licence, I will mount twin drum feed .30cal auto rifles on a turret on top of my BOTH of my Cobra Mauraders. God help any psuedo intellectual do-gooders if they approach me while I'm fishing, I'll give them both barrels! They can have my carbon paddle when they pry it from my cold dead hands!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNDYArDU ... 9D6B006C4B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sanditos
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Sanditos »

kayakrockport wrote:It's almost impossible to do the math since we don't know how many kayaks and canoes there are in Texas, but...
We can't count the kayaks and canoes until we register them,... :shock:
Is that anything like; 'We won't know what is in the (HC) bill until we pass it'?
No thanks.