Big Bend Family Trip

Chago

Big Bend Family Trip

Post by Chago »

November 19 - 23, 2010

The Thanksgiving break couldn't arrive soon enough as I planned my third trip to Big Bend. This would be a special trip as it was my family’s first visit to the park.

For months, I gathered gear, watched the weather, searched the net for new gadgets and scribbled down various itineraries. What I hadn't planned on was my oldest son’s two week run of gastroenteritis. His symptoms started about sixteen days prior to our departure. The usual flu-like symptoms were followed by unrelenting epigastric pain, nausea and vomiting. During his illness, he dropped 10 lbs, visited the ER twice and asked us to not cancel the trip. Of course his health is first and foremost and our trip was postponed. The news of our intent shattered him and after a long discussion with my wife, we made alternate plans. Our pediatrician is a family friend and she was also involved in our discussions.

The day before our expected departure, Julian kept his first solid meal intact. His pain was improved but not resolved. Again, after a long discussion, we decided we would drive towards Big Bend. A worst case scenario included turning around and retreating home. An intermediate plan was to visit the Lost Maples area.

The morning of our departure was full of excitement as everyone was in good spirits. The emphasis was on our eldest and his condition. Every mouthful of input was monitored with scrutiny. The drive continued without a hitch.

The months of anticipation were unfolding as planned. Our drive included long discussions about our upcoming mission at Big Bend. We informed the boys we would be on daily scavenger hunts. All the family members received alternate code names and the boys obtained secret agent gadgets which included lanyards, whistle, compass, flashlights, small multi-tools, magnifying glasses and walking sticks. Approximately 9.5 hours after leaving Victoria, we arrived at the Big Bend entrance. This in itself was a quite an accomplishment.

We spent the next three days hiking in God’s country. Our routine included a healthy breakfast (on us) which was followed by a moderate hike. After completing the morning hike, we would retire to our rooms and have a nice lunch (on us) while reminiscing about our excursion. The afternoon hikes included a shorter loop. Every evening was ended with a nice dinner. Two of the three evenings were concluded at the Chisos Lodge Restaurant. The third evening was a real treat as we ended up at the Starlight Theatre in Terlingua.

The hikes that were conquered by everyone in our party included: The Window Trail, Burro Mesa Puroff, Lost Mine Trail, Hot Springs, Cattail Falls, Tuff Canyon and Santa Elena Canyon. We also managed a side trip to Luna’s Jacal and Terlingua Abaja.

Once in awhile there is an opportunity to take in a piece of nature that you may never see. In these days of unrest and turmoil it is great to see that GOD still produces some wondrous beauty.

I will end by saying this was a magical trip for all. The emotional rollercoaster, visual park experience, and family bond are beyond verbal or written expressions.
Attachments
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1786.JPG
IMG_1896.JPG
Chago

Re: Big Bend Family Trip

Post by Chago »

A few more...
Attachments
811.JPG
IMG_1857.JPG
0115.JPG
trntybay99

Post by trntybay99 »

A wonderful story..great pictures. I know your boys will never forget it.
Chago

Post by Chago »

Last set. Happy New Year!
Attachments
066.JPG
1310.JPG
0242.JPG
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

What a great post Thanks for share-n I love the shadow shot :clap:
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

In case you did not know of it, BigBendChat.com has all the possible info in the world on that area available for free.
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

Texas has BEAR :shock: :shock: :shock:
Chago

Post by Chago »

Yes. The Chisos Mountains house approximately 50 black bears. They migrated from Mexico’s Sierra del Carmen in the 80's. The park averages about 200 sightings per year.

If you look closely, there are three black bears in the photograph. It was a mom and her two cubs. We encountered them on the Window Trail.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

It looks like a great trip in some fantastic country that I hope to make someday. However, I am dubious about getting within 60 miles of the border at the moment, especially with family.
hencutter

Post by hencutter »

Great Pics ! After you mentioned the cubs, I went back and enlarged the picture, and I think that I found them !
Gutter Girl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gutter Girl »

Chago,

Saw your name on this thread and couldn't look at it fast enough!

Nice pictures and it sounds like a good time was had by all. I visited my sister over the holidays and we rehashed everything about our time at BBNP, even our meal at the Starlight! While I thought I had her hooked on another visit this year, I made the mistake of showing her the post and picture(s) of whoever went out to Guadalupe Mtns Natl Park...so guess where we're headed?!

If I had not done as much family camping growing up, I cannot say I'd have the love of the outdoors that I do now. Nice job of introducing your kids to all the beauty He has surrounded us with!

GG
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

Texas does have black bear in both East and West Texas along with mountain lions in various areas over the state. We have mountain lions here around Waco, but so far, no bear........yet.

The Big Bend is a great place to backpack and camp. I've been going there for 40 years; it just gets better.

You have some beautiful pictures!!!

Ray
Bassbug
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Bassbug »

Looks like an awesome trip! I can't wait to take my family there. The kids need to be older though...
uplandrun

Post by uplandrun »

Bravo to you and your wife for taking the children out into God's creation, keep up the good work. My children are older now but we never missed a chance to get out in nature.

Those rocks at the Window trail are a might slippery. I considered tying a rope on myself.

"Nice pictures and it sounds like a good time was had by all. I visited my sister over the holidays and we rehashed everything about our time at BBNP, even our meal at the Starlight! While I thought I had her hooked on another visit this year, I made the mistake of showing her the post and picture(s) of whoever went out to Guadalupe Mtns Natl Park...so guess where we're headed?!"

I posted some pics of my son and myself back in December from GMNP. I loved the trip and would go back, but if I have to choose I would go to Big Bend, it just has a little more to offer and you can have a charcole fire to cook as compared to GMNP you can only and I mean only have a gas burner.

Big Bend is the only place I have camped where I was nervious. We were in my 4X4 on the back country area and one night we camped withen sight of the river. I cannot disclose what we had in the tent with us but the plan was if we were jumped, we were to retreat while letting them know we we not pilgrims either.