Quick weekend get-a-way

Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Quick weekend get-a-way

Post by Phishtech »

Got a chance to leave Friday morning to a fairly local State park so we loaded up the camper and left. Didn't take the kayaks , just wanted to relax a little before the holidays. The duck hunters would open up like WWIII at 6AM sharp, but that's OK, I get up early anyway so I can enjoy my coffee in peace. Took a few pics to share, enjoy.

Our camp site

Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Quick weekend get-a-way

Post by Chief Brody »

I give up - Livingston?
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Martin Dies is my guess.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

Dang, I looked and looked,,,,I couldn't even find it on a map.......

Im thinking Fairfeild or Somerville
Last edited by Randy on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Randy
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

I figured it out, that lantern post and the leaves gave it away,,, ha ha ha
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Pogo wrote:Martin Dies is my guess.
That was first thought. I have never been there but that shoreline looked real familar from photos.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Randy »

wait,,, wait,,,, thats a double hook lamp post,,,,,,, that changes everything now.....
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

The fact that it has a concrete site tells me it has to be high class
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Randy »

milret wrote:The fact that it has a concrete site tells me it has to be high class

yea, but that light aint standard issue....
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

OK, OK, OK, it's Cagle State Recreation Area between Huntsville and Conroe, on the north end of the Lake. Stubbefield is just down the same road Cagle is on. We drove through Stubbefield over the weekend but all they have is a few water spigots, no electricity, so we won't be staying there any time soon.

Martin Dies is another great park, especially if you take your kayaks. We really love Martin Dies, but it was a little too far for a 48 hour trip.

Martin Dies:
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

You threw me of when you said State park. It is a National Forest recreation area.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

Sorry about the wake up call, but if it makes you feel any better I was up at 3 am :D Ohh and by the way, shooting time wasn't until 7:05 8)
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

We have a wide variety of governmental and quasi-governmental agencies offering campgrounds in Texas. Off the top of my head we have state parks, national forest campgrounds and Corps of Engineers campgrounds. Then agencies such as the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) and local Governments like Brazoria County have campgrounds as well. We are blessed with plentiful opportunities for outdoor activities, but the lines between who does what can get blury at times. :D
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Mini-x-man wrote:Sorry about the wake up call, but if it makes you feel any better I was up at 3 am :D Ohh and by the way, shooting time wasn't until 7:05 8)
Hmmmmmmm, maybe they were warming up. :? :?
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

Phishtech wrote:
Mini-x-man wrote:Sorry about the wake up call, but if it makes you feel any better I was up at 3 am :D Ohh and by the way, shooting time wasn't until 7:05 8)
No one should've been shooting an hour before sun up.... If that's the case I would get the contact information of the forest service and they should be able to get you a number for the game wardens. If it happens again call them and let them know and tell them the area from which you hear the shots coming from to the best of your ability and they will go and try to sneak up on them shooting before legal shooting time. Or if nothing else if they don't catch them that time it will tip them off and alot of times they'll stake out the area and listen for it the next day or next weekend, etc.

The only other thing I can think of is being in Kagle, you are in the middle of a national forest and I don't know much about the rules for hunting pigs, squirrels, and other legal game out there, but I believe you may be able to shoot pigs and squirrels anytime as long as you're not technically in or near a certain proximity of the recreation area, and gun shots rifle or shotgun will echo across that lake like no other. That being said there are always a few bad eggs in every group and you tend to see a lot more of them when you deal with public land or stay in the vicinity of it.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Looks like a beautiful place I need to visit. Great photos.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Me no hunt. Me no go into National Forest areas during the shooting matches.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Unprotected, non game animals such as pigs and rabbits maybe hunted 24/7. Game animals like squirrels, deer, etc may be hunted 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset.
Mini-x-man wrote:
Phishtech wrote:
No one should've been shooting an hour before sun up.... If that's the case I would get the contact information of the forest service and they should be able to get you a number for the game wardens. If it happens again call them and let them know and tell them the area from which you hear the shots coming from to the best of your ability and they will go and try to sneak up on them shooting before legal shooting time. Or if nothing else if they don't catch them that time it will tip them off and alot of times they'll stake out the area and listen for it the next day or next weekend, etc.

The only other thing I can think of is being in Kagle, you are in the middle of a national forest and I don't know much about the rules for hunting pigs, squirrels, and other legal game out there, but I believe you may be able to shoot pigs and squirrels anytime as long as you're not technically in or near a certain proximity of the recreation area, and gun shots rifle or shotgun will echo across that lake like no other. That being said there are always a few bad eggs in every group and you tend to see a lot more of them when you deal with public land or stay in the vicinity of it.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

Thanks Hirsch, I figured someone would know about some of those rules!