Village Creek 9/17-9/19

Hammer-Time

Village Creek 9/17-9/19

Post by Hammer-Time »

Sorry for the late post, but have been busy. We did a Village Creek Trip on 9/17-9/19. Trip was great.
We were shuttled by Eastex Canoes up to Hwy 418 in Kountze on Friday. We were told that the 418 to 327 trip was quite a hand full, but we wanted to try it out.
The creek was quite low which exposed numerous downed trees and log jams. We did not portage any, just pulled the kayaks over the trees and kept on paddling. We planned to camp out 2 miles north of 327 for a short paddle on Saturday. The obstacles in the 2 miles north of 327 was the worst. We had to sink the kayak by sitting in different spots to fit under the trees, pull over tons of trees, and hit some pretty fun rappids. All and all I would definetly do that stretch again. We actually camped Friday night 1/2 mile north of 327 and paddled to our second camp spot south of Baby Galvez by 10:00 am on Saturday. That felt great to rest, drink, play washers, and fish after the tough trip on Friday. I got to try out my Hooligan 2 tent which was great. I do need a pad and pillow to sleep on though. Weather was great for us, slightly overcast and very cool in the evenings. Sunday we paddled to Village Creek State Park and pulled out there. I did get to test out my new cooler setup this trip and went well.
I had a Igloo Marine (40 something quart) that fit perfect in my tankwell. I know Igloos dont keep ice like the use to so I used clear marine silicone to apply a seal between the lid and the cooler. I used 2 blocks of dry ice and kept a damp off white towel covering the cooler. My beer had a light layer of slush when opened. The ice lasted 4.5 days and had cold water still in it when I dumped it out. I had to break the beers our of the cooler like they were stuck in a glacier. I have attached some pictures of the trip below.
Attachments
Paddle Palooza 2 015.jpg
Paddle Palooza 2 017.jpg
DSCN2047.JPG
Yak Ninja

Re: Village Creek 9/17-9/19

Post by Yak Ninja »

Looks like it was a Great Trip! 8)
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Next time cover your cooler with a sheet cut from one of those workout mats you get at Walmart. Blocks the suns heat from the cooler lid real good. I got some 3/4" black rubber type foam insulation and cut out a piece to fit the indention on the inside of the lid, glued it in with Marine Goop. I figgered that's where a cooler takes in most of the heat. Works great.
Hammer-Time

Post by Hammer-Time »

Phishtech wrote:Next time cover your cooler with a sheet cut from one of those workout mats you get at Walmart. Blocks the suns heat from the cooler lid real good. I got some 3/4" black rubber type foam insulation and cut out a piece to fit the indention on the inside of the lid, glued it in with Marine Goop. I figgered that's where a cooler takes in most of the heat. Works great.
I planned on doing that, but with some of the reflective bubble insulation until I saw the price of it.
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Hammer-Time wrote:
Phishtech wrote:Next time cover your cooler with a sheet cut from one of those workout mats you get at Walmart. Blocks the suns heat from the cooler lid real good. I got some 3/4" black rubber type foam insulation and cut out a piece to fit the indention on the inside of the lid, glued it in with Marine Goop. I figgered that's where a cooler takes in most of the heat. Works great.
I planned on doing that, but with some of the reflective bubble insulation until I saw the price of it.
If nothing else, put one of those sun reflectors you put behind your windshield on top of the cooler. Home Depot sells the 1" thick polystyrene sheets you could use, or even some blue board. Coupla 1/2" layers of that on the inside should do the trick.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Looks and sounds like yall had a great time..How was the fishing??? Wonder what would happen if you sprayed your cooler silver/crome paint
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

larry long shadows wrote:Looks and sounds like yall had a great time..How was the fishing??? Wonder what would happen if you sprayed your cooler silver/crome paint
You would have a silver/chrome painted cooler. :lol:
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

milret wrote:
larry long shadows wrote:Looks and sounds like yall had a great time..How was the fishing??? Wonder what would happen if you sprayed your cooler silver/crome paint
You would have a silver/chrome painted cooler. :lol:
Your makeing fun of my Bald head... :?: :?:
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

I never saw you with your hat off. Cat out of the Hat now.