Bisharat's Pole Dancer

Fly Rod Yakker

Bisharat's Pole Dancer

Post by Fly Rod Yakker »

Ran across this on MoldyChum.com today.

It's Charlie Bisharat's Pole Dancer topwater fly. Absolutely unbelievable Zara Spook like action for a fly. Most wicked topwater fly I've ever seen.

A bit expensive, but I've got to have some of these. Or learn how to tie a similar version. Or both.

Bass, stripers, saltwater fish....they'll all kill 'em.

See for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJT5ei8WEvQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the link to buy them: http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/p/s ... px?sid=XSB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MoulletteRouge

Re: Bisharat's Pole Dancer

Post by MoulletteRouge »

Looks like a reversed popper body cut and tapered at a 45° angle with lead wire to get the hook down... Neat looking fly, and great action, but I bet interesting to throw... :shock:
Fly Rod Yakker

Post by Fly Rod Yakker »

I thought so too, but the info on the fly at the Web site link I included says it is a molded foam head. And one of the pictures shows clearly that it is a hollow foam head.

The info at the Web site says there is weight at the rear of the shank (underneath the Estaz wrap, I'm guessing) that helps it get the side to side motion along with the water pressure created against the concave face.

They also talk on the video about throwing this fly with the new Rio Outbound Short fly line which is specifically designed to turn over big flies. Given that, along with the hollow nature of the foam head, and watching some of the guys casting it on the video, I don't think it's as difficult to cast as you might expect.

I'm going to find out...
CTR22

Post by CTR22 »

cool, i'll be buying some to try to.

my only concern is how well it will hold up? any one know how durable it is?
HeathInClearLake

Post by HeathInClearLake »

I've been fly-fishing gavleston's water ways for 5 years now and never once caught a striper. Now I know why. I've not been using the right fly.
CTR22

Post by CTR22 »

better order them quick, most places are already on back order
Bear

Post by Bear »

I received my fly last night, took about three days to get it and well packaged in a large box. I got the small chartreuse fly. The popper is not hollow, but has a deep cup with recessed eyes. The body looks like it has a hard foam base with a epoxy coating. I am going to try it out this weekend, with 6 wt & 8 wt. rods. I hope it will cast well, but I may have to use a 7' or a furled leader to get it to turn over. Heaver flys seem to hang at the bottom of your loop and flip over at the end of the forward cast.The fly defiantly looks like a killer for trout & reds, looks durable & well tied. I am going to put a coat of hard as nails on it tonight.

I will give a report on it Saturday night. I will be fishing open bay grass shore lines and marshes.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Well I tried the fly sz.small and it cast well with a 8 wt. on a 9' 16# tappered leader. The (size small) fly has great action. The way the fly is tied as best as I can see; is that the fly is actualy tied like a tube fly and epoxied into the rear cavity of the foam head. THE HAIR FIBERS AND FEATHER IS TEID ON A TUBE AND GLUED IN THE POPPER HEAD. tHE FLY WILL SLOWLY SINK IF YOU LET IT SIT FOR A FEW SECONDS, AND A GRASS CATCHER IN SHALLOW WATER. I didn't give it much of a field trial since I was fishing over grass on a low tied.
flatzstalker

Post by flatzstalker »

hey bear ,was curious if you've had anymore sucess with this fly.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Flatzstalker,

No, I haven't had the time and the weather hasen't helped. I have a few days scheduled to fish more open water the last week of July & will give it a try then. I usualy fish skinny water(18" or less) with grass, and this fly is not designed for skinny grassy water.
The fly has great action and pushes water quite well. I bought it for a pattern, and haven't even fished it more than 30 min.

I will post result in early August.