Solo trip on the Blanco 4-30 to 5-2

Weird1

Solo trip on the Blanco 4-30 to 5-2

Post by Weird1 »

It started out as a trip for 2 down the upper Guad. Ended up a solo down the Blanco. The trip was hard going the portaging wasn't to bad, but the miles of dragging the yak in 3 inches of water was a workout. Seeing the narrows and going through them was worth it for me, although I will be hard pressed to make the trip again. More water would make for less dragging but going through the narrows would be less safe ( I was in my Stealth 14) and portaging them would be harder than going through them. The put in was fm 165 and the take out was Fischer store rd 25 mi. Any way here are a few pics.
Camp above the Narrows
Camp above the Narrows
Top of the Narrows
Top of the Narrows
First drop.
First drop.
Weird1

Re: Solo trip on the Blanco 4-30 to 5-2

Post by Weird1 »

More pics
About halfway down.
About halfway down.
Another look up the narrows.
Another look up the narrows.
aztec44

Post by aztec44 »

awesome pics bro
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Great photos. :D I don't think a trip like this would appeal to me. I don't like the portage part of the trip. I'm too old for that.
fisher of people

Post by fisher of people »

Nice! You da man, making a trip like that solo! Did you fish? How common were decent campsites? I'm really wanting to do a trip on the Blanco, though I'm more likely to try something between Wimberly and Kyle. I've been to the Narrows before, what an amazing spot.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

:clap: Great Report & Pics :clap: Yeah,I'm to old too :D

Mike
daveg99
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by daveg99 »

you made it through the narrows? The picture looks like it isnt possible.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Looks like a lot of fun, I don't know about solo, but i've got a few years of draggin, pullin, pushin, and cussin still ahead of me. Nice pics. Thx
Weird1

Post by Weird1 »

Night Wing wrote:Great photos. :D I don't think a trip like this would appeal to me. I don't like the portage part of the trip. I'm too old for that.
There wasn't a lot of actual portaging but lots of dragging through shallow water.
fisher of people wrote:Nice! You da man, making a trip like that solo! Did you fish? How common were decent campsites? I'm really wanting to do a trip on the Blanco, though I'm more likely to try something between Wimberly and Kyle. I've been to the Narrows before, what an amazing spot.
There were no fish to speak of from about Cox rd. to the Narrows. after the Narrows the fishing picked up a little in the deeper pools. I did not fish as much as I had hoped due to not allocating enough time for the trip.
daveg99 wrote:you made it through the narrows? The picture looks like it isnt possible.
I didn't think so either but compared to the portage alone I think this was more possible.
Aggroman wrote:Looks like a lot of fun, I don't know about solo, but i've got a few years of draggin, pullin, pushin, and cussin still ahead of me. Nice pics. Thx
It was fun and yes lots of cussin pushin pullin ect. it would be a better trip with 2 people, but I might do it solo again if it happened to work out that way, but I would give my self at least 4 full days.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Wow all I can say is YOU the MAN.... :clap:
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Excellent post - thanks for taking the time. I have been on this board two years and the camping posts are the ones that affect me the most. It is the thing I most want to do but haven't, so I live vicariously through these stories.

Thanks again.
murdock

Post by murdock »

I did that same run a few years ago with some friends, but the water was high and we didn't have to drag anywhere. The Blanco is at a perfect level right now after this weekends rain. There was no way in hell we were going to try and run the narrows. Instead we threw our boats in the canyon after the last drop and jumped in after them. Paddling around in the canyon was cool. I have been told the narrows is the only class V white water in Texas but I dont know if thats true.
MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by MONSTER »

Great pics!
deputydawg

Post by deputydawg »

Great post!!! :clap:
YakBonz

Post by YakBonz »

I was in Wimberley over Memorial day and we stayed on the Blanco River. That is a shallow river and thought what a bear it would be due to all the potential portaging. Well done on your adventure.