Targeting Pompanos....

surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Targeting Pompanos....

Post by surfpunk »

peeled fresh dead on a 1ot, 1/8 oz clip on weight.

8)
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

My neighbor here at Surfside caught a bunch on Superspook Jr in the surf one day last May. None that way since.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

karstopo wrote:My neighbor here at Surfside caught a bunch on Superspook Jr in the surf one day last May. None that way since.
Since pompano like clear water and structure, I wonder if you fish close to the Surfside jetties on the bottom, on those days where there is lots of clear green water, I wonder if that is a place that will hold pompano?
CulturedHick

Post by CulturedHick »

Night Wing wrote:
karstopo wrote:My neighbor here at Surfside caught a bunch on Superspook Jr in the surf one day last May. None that way since.
Since pompano like clear water and structure, I wonder if you fish close to the Surfside jetties on the bottom, on those days where there is lots of clear green water, I wonder if that is a place that will hold pompano?
At the end of June last year, I caught a 17" pompano off the Surfside jetty with a live shrimp while trying for trout. Very tasty fish. Never caught another since.
IronTexas

Post by IronTexas »

Thanks everybody i think i have enough info to get a great haul of Pomps this year :dance: But keep the pics and tips coming i appreciate the tips and love seein the pics of what ppl are catching helps pass the time at work and motivates me for whenever i go fishing. Thanks Fellow TKFers :D
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

CulturedHick wrote:At the end of June last year, I caught a 17" pompano off the Surfside jetty with a live shrimp while trying for trout. Very tasty fish. Never caught another since.
I need a few details. Were you fishing on the bottom or using a popping cork when you caught that pompano?
lamar

Post by lamar »

How do you like them cook ?
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

I like my pompano fillets fried.
fishinfeucht

Post by fishinfeucht »

They make special small jigs to target them in Florida. I think they're called Doc's Crazy Jigs and other brands as well. It's shaped sort of like a circle hook with lead around the top painted like a sand flea. If I had one with me I would post a picture. I got a guy I work with from FL to bring some this past year.

As for as finding sand fleas is concerned they make indentions in the sand right after a wave passes thru on the beach where they bury. They seem to come be more in abundace at night.
OlSalty

Post by OlSalty »

Living Waters wrote:I think I got these last July off the 1 mile off the beach in Freeport.
I think those are permits. Not enough yellow on the belly but all in all a great catch.

I've caught pompano in the surf in SPI, Boca Chica beach and across the border in playa baghdad with pieces of squid. They are tasty and if you eat enough of them they'll clean your gut. You'll notice the omega 3 rich oily residue, in body waste disposal, after you eat a few of them. Good luck and drag screaming tight lines to you.
FISH4EVER
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by FISH4EVER »

Night Wing wrote:Just curious. Since pompano like sand fleas, how does one tell if sand fleas are around since they burrow into the wet sand at the shoreline. In other words, what does one look for that tells someone where the sand fleas are?
Sand Fleas---Look on the beach as the water pulls back they leave like little wakes or v's sticking up, use your shovel or hand rake and scoop down as far as you can. Nice Mess their Mike
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

FISH4EVER wrote:
Night Wing wrote:Just curious. Since pompano like sand fleas, how does one tell if sand fleas are around since they burrow into the wet sand at the shoreline. In other words, what does one look for that tells someone where the sand fleas are?
Sand Fleas---Look on the beach as the water pulls back they leave like little wakes or v's sticking up, use your shovel or hand rake and scoop down as far as you can. Nice Mess their Mike
Thanks for the info. I've always wondered what to look for and where to look for them.
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

I think those are permits.
I'd be really surprised to see permits around here. Never heard of one being caught anywhere remotely close.

I have caught pomps that had no yellow in them, and were actually almost slate blue in color.

Another thing, be careful stringing them. Even double-lip stringing, they have delicate mouths and tear off the stringer easily. I've had this happen more than once :( Especially if there are other fish on the stringer. Stringing through the eyes is the best option if you go that route.
Dfusion

Post by Dfusion »

Night Wing,

I vacation a bit on the redneck riveria (Fort-morgan-orange beach, AL) and have used this tactic:
Locate sand fleas by watching for patches of sand on the surfline that vibrate down right as the surf pulls away. That is the effect of tens to hundreds of sand fleas burrowing back down. To catch pompano beach front, right as the surf begins to pull back, toss in a hooked sand flea in the surf and let it ride back. The pompano are waiting there for various crabs and mussles to get washed back. Use a really small hook as the mouths of pompano are about like those of a bluegill (maybe a bit larger).
Tricky fishing, but effective once you get the hang of what the bite feels like. Never tried it Glaveston, but occasionally catch them off the jetties, so I know they are there.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Good advice on finding the sand fleas(which are really little crab-like crustecans(sp?) A buddy in Florida told me he finds them by looking in the sand right after the water washes up and goes towards the little v indentations in the sand and digs under those. He will also go along digging in the sand with a shovel and throw a pile of wet sand up on the dry portion of the beach to find them. Sometimes they are plentiful, other times not so.
Good advice guys and thanks mucho!
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

My buddy used a "slurp gun" to get a bunch one time. It's basically a big cylinder with a plunger that you use to suck up sand. You look for the holes right at the waterline as the waves wash over the sand and recede. Pretty easy to find, as the holes would be washed closed in seconds if there wasn't a little critter inside blowing out water to keep them open. Pretty fun beer drinking activity to catch a bunch.

They are a delicate bait, and you will need a bunch as every bottom fish in the gulf loves them. Fresh dead shrimp is the way if you are limited on time out there.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Going through the Cabelas site I saw they have Gulp sand crabs (fleas).
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Dfusion wrote:
Night Wing,

I vacation a bit on the redneck riveria (Fort-morgan-orange beach, AL) and have used this tactic:
Locate sand fleas by watching for patches of sand on the surfline that vibrate down right as the surf pulls away. That is the effect of tens to hundreds of sand fleas burrowing back down. To catch pompano beach front, right as the surf begins to pull back, toss in a hooked sand flea in the surf and let it ride back. The pompano are waiting there for various crabs and mussles to get washed back. Use a really small hook as the mouths of pompano are about like those of a bluegill (maybe a bit larger).
Tricky fishing, but effective once you get the hang of what the bite feels like. Never tried it Glaveston, but occasionally catch them off the jetties, so I know they are there.
Thanks for the advice. Pompano sure are good eating. I'll be trying to use these tactics to catch these delicious fish.
IronTexas

Post by IronTexas »

Yeah its all good advice thanks for the replies lol glad to see im not the only one who likes these tasty fish :) i will be putting all the advice i got on here to work this summer if i catch any i will be sure to let yall know what i used and where i caught them :) but keep the posts coming i saw soome good pics whenever i catch some i will be posting them on here for sure thanks fellas :clap:
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Instead of "Beyond The Breakers", fishing for pompano might mean "Between The Breakers". :wink:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I ordered a catalogue from tightlines tackle in florida. They carry Doc's Goofy Jigs. I went on the website of Doc's Goofy Jigs, but I couldn't see where one can order straight from them. They give links to stores that carry there jigs. Here is a link to Doc's http://docsgoofyjigs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IronTexas

Post by IronTexas »

Thanks karstopo great link i think i will be getting me few of these they look interesting i think i might be able to make some of these myself :)
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

karstopo wrote:I ordered a catalogue from tightlines tackle in florida. They carry Doc's Goofy Jigs. I went on the website of Doc's Goofy Jigs, but I couldn't see where one can order straight from them. They give links to stores that carry there jigs. Here is a link to Doc's http://docsgoofyjigs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That site had a lot of good info on it. I found this page very interesting to read. BTW, Doc doesn't sell directly to consumers.

http://docsgoofyjigs.com/Testimonials.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AndrewOSpencer

Post by AndrewOSpencer »

Nightwing,

The testimonial pages was neat. Creating the little "puffs of sand" to replicate a crab burying itself was interesting, I wonder if a deep diving crankbait drug through the sand would be effective.

Im going to give the pompano dance a try.
chasing-tail

Post by chasing-tail »

is now a good time to target these suckers? I want one